Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Veni, Vidi, Vici - A Total War: Rome 2 AAR

Discussion in 'Other WarGames' started by Mussolini, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

[​IMG]
    Veni, Vidi, Vici - A Total War: Rome 2 AAR​
    Faction: Rome - Junia
    Difficulty: Normal
    Mods: Divide et Impera + Visual Enhancements
    Goals: Conquer the World!!!! While also using (semi)Historically Accurate Armies (Hastati + Principes + Triarri)

Starting Information:

[​IMG]

"Strength, Honor, Duty."

Ah, Rome! Economically and politically stable, things will change as I start to expand my borders. Sicily is mostly Hellenic (as Rome, my peoples are Latin) while their are Pagan Barbarians to my North, with more Hellenic peoples to my east in Greece. So my intention is to be methodical in my approach, conquering all provinces and starting that Romanisation of them before moving onto the next Province. A Province consists of one Capitol (Walled) City and between 1 - 3 other cities/villages (based on size) that cover a region. Subjugating an entire Province lets me spread my Culture and reap its benefits.

Strategic resources in neighboring provinces will boost the economy and the arms/armor of my army. A strong economy will be instrumental in fielding large, Roman Armies that will be needed to spread the borders of Rome. I will also aim to create Armies that stick closely to how the real Roman Legions took to the field in battle, with Hastati in the first line, Principes in the second, Triarri in the third, with Cavalry and Archers (or Javelins) on the flanks.

2. Mussolini

[​IMG]
    Part 1: Expansion
    A strong starting point on mainland Italy means I can spend my first several turns building up an Army. The idea here is to attack the Syracusae, a current trading partner, and take the Island of Sicily. This will give me control of the Magna Graece Province, which I will then use as my Military Hub as it will give me a wide variety of Hellenic Auxiliary Units - most importantly, Archers and Spartan Mercenaries. But Sicily is split into two Cities - Syracusa and Lilybaeum, the latter of which is controlled by my nemesis, Carthage.

I also have an eye on Northern Italy - Genua, Venice, and another city (the name escapes me) are controlled independently by the Genuans, Venetti, and the Nori. They would secure the region south of the Alps for me and offer farming provinces to feed my Empire.

My hand is forced early as the Nori crush the Genuans. If I stay idle, they might well carve out a Northern Italian empire for themselves which will make my task much harder. So I swiftly attack the Venetti, with the Legion II lead by Libo. Conquering the city allows me to start spreading the Latin Culture to the region and secures me a resource of Glass, which will help my economy grow.

I contemplate my current options, but know I will need a larger and more powerful army to take on the Nori. For some reason, the Nori declare war on me, then realize that this is a big mistake and offer me a Peace Treaty and a lot of money. How could I refuse? Even so, it makes me wary of the Nori so I keep Libos' Legio II in the area to deter any sort of aggression towards me.

Around the time I notice Syracusae have taken Lilybaeum. Excellent! I trust that the Nori will not attack me further and pounce on this opportunity. Carthage, the city itself, has fallen to the Syracusae too and I know I can not let my little Hellenic neighbors get too big and powerful otherwise they will be able to field a formidable Army. I rush Libo to the South, attack the undefended Syracusa and capturing it. I defeat a smaller army outside of Lilybaeum, delaying my attack on that city. Carthage ninjas my attack and takes Lilybaeum instead!

This infuriates me but I take a quick look at Corsica and Sardina - a two-city province - that is completely undefended. It is another goal of mine to conquer those two islands, so I declare war on Carthage and her African Allies and exact my revenge. At the same time, Syracusa falls to the Syracusae, forcing me to turn back around and reclaim it with Libo. I create a second army and embark them, heading to the larger of the two Carthage holdings. However, I am attack at sea and the small army is wiped out! My Naval presence is negligible at this stage.

Eventually, I get Libo's army over to Corsia and Sardinia. He makes quick work of the battles against the Town Defenders, before sailing across to Rome and traveling back to the North.

I have created a second Army at this stage, keeping it in Sicily. I fend off several small seaborne invasions - and one large one that I possibly could have lost - before making an expensive Navy.

I manage to destroy two fleets of the Carthage Alliance, bringing the name Atilius Regulus, Admiral of the Clessis II Victrix fleet to everyones name in Rome! Finally, some Naval Power! The glory is short lived, however, as a succession of harrying attacks against my damaged fleet eventually sees it destroyed.
    This was costly on the monetary front - I am only making about 2000 Denari-per-turn, which does not go very far when trying to upgrade units (the Polybian Reforms occured in 263, replacing Spears with Gladii) and creating a second Army. I am still at war with Carthage and her Allies but need to improve my economy by taking more territory. In order to take territory, I need to build more Armies. In order to build more Armies, I need more money. Its a vicious cycle and one that is hard to improve upon.

The longer I wait, the more powerful my neighbors become as the strong defeat the weak. As I near completion of my second Army, complete with Archers and my first Spartans, the Massilia - a Hellenic faction on the south coast of France - attacks Genua, taking it from the Nori. This ruins my plans for securing that Norther region, so Libo quickly attacks the Nori capital (and capital of the Region) easily defeating the Army there and giving me control of 2 of the 3 cities needed to control the Province. At least I will be exerting Latin Culture throughout the Province! I notice this quickly causes a Slave Rebellion in Genua. This pleases me.

Attacking Africa with what I have is out of the question. My recent gains have not improved my economy as I need to now convert the capture cities into Roman cities. This is costly and I am trying to build a third Army - which is roughly defending Sicily and will not move from that Island until Carthage and her allies are dealt with.

I quick diplomatic update reveals that the Helvetti, the Raeti, and another faction are allied - they are the three Cities of the Province on the north side of the Alps, my next target. My Army containing the Spartans is moving North and this Celtic Alliance is at war with another Celtic Alliance, of factions that occupy West Germany/Eastern France. I can't delay my attack any longer so use the opportunity to attack Octuduron, home of the Helvetti. Their city is unoccupied as they battle their enemies further to the North. They get wiped off the map in one turn, as I take one city and their other falls to their enemy.

Libo, however, did not take part in this battle. Some one (the Helvetti, I suspect) tried to Assinate him and succeeded in wounding him. He needs to rest for the next year before he can return to action! His replacement is capable and drives Legio II Eastwards, to battle the Raeti. They are stuck between a Rock and a Hard place and try to attack me in the open field. This is a bad mistake, but I cause more casualties to myself in the ensuing battle then they do. I am sometimes a poor judge of the slope of a hill, and when you set balls of hay on fire, you can not control where they roll.

Luckily, the outcome of that battle was not affected by my mistake. This left their city open and I quickly took it. Then I cam to a shock.

The last group that I need to attack, the Capital of the province even further to the East, is under siege by 4 armies of a faction I have not encountered yet! Once again, my plans are thwarted!

Presently, the Massilia have a large empire that extends into France. They are a useful trading Ally but I must take Genua at some point, meaning I need to go to war with them. I will also need to attack this new, large faction that is about to take the Capital of the other province and I am still at war with Carthage and her two allies. I have no Allies to speak of myself, but where there is a will there is a way.

I am going to consolidate my gains, Romanise my new cities and try and boost my economy through buildings and technology. I will also build a 4th Army and perhaps attack the Massilia.

3. Mussolini

The Game so far, in Pictures:

The Starting Position of Rome and its neighbors:
    [​IMG]

The Roman Empire, after the conquests of Sicily, Corsica, Sardinia and Venice:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      100.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      146.4 KB
      Views:
  4. Mussolini

Part 2: Conquest
    The Daorsi are the Hellenic Faction that have stolen Noriea from under me! They are allied with Macedonia, further to the South East but are at war with some of the Celtic Tribes in Germany.
    My Spy reveals that the Massilia do extend deeper into France but are currently at war with the Gauls in the region, despite fielding some large Greek Armies.

Libo has returned from injuries sustained in combat. However, instead of putting him back in charge of his original army, I reform the Legio I Italica in Sicily, with Libo at its head. The soldiers recruited in Magna Graecia, of which Sicily is part, gain many benefits - improved arms and army, improved starting experience, and improved morale. Magna Graecia also allows me to recruit Romanised Greek Units. These units, recruited from the Auxillary barracks, are generally useless to me - with the exception of two units: Spartitati Hoplitai and some Sicilian Archers. The Spartans are, well, Spartans!

My Army composition now consists of Hastati, Principes, Triarii with some Spartans, and the Archers. I am also using a Romanized Heavy Cavalry unit as my main Cavalry - they are armed with the equivalent of Lances and do great damage on a charge! Very useful when attack Greek Hoplites from the rear!

The next 4 years or so are spent building up my Armies, improving buildings, generating more food and a slight increase in money. Additional trade treaties are made with factions not previously encountered as well.

Starting around 254 BC, I move two full Armies to my North Western border with Massilia. Genua, I find, is left empty though with an upgraded garrison. The Massilia are at war in France, so I launch a surprise attack, successfully taking Genua. However, the Massilia have two more full stack Armies then I have in the area, so instead of prolonging this war and taking additional territory from them (or engaging their armies) I quickly offer them a Peace Treaty. They are quick to accept, also giving me a few thousand Denari to ensure I do not attack them again.

I let out a sigh of relief! This peace treaty was exactly what I was hoping for! I start to re-position my Armies - Legio I, Legio II, and Legio III - to the East, to go to war with the Daorsi and take Noreia from them to complete the province. But I don't plan on stopping there. No, I figure I may as well start making my way down into Greece and take the Daorsi out for good.

During this next period of build up, both the Gaetuli and Maeseyli - Allies of Carthage - make peace with, both after suffering heavy defeats when trying to invade Sicily. Carthage also suffer another defeat at my hands trying to attack Syracusa. This comes as a pleasant surprise for me, as now I do not have to keep much of an eye to the south anymore.

The Daorsi seem to be at war as well, so in 253 BC I launch a two pronged attack. Legio III attacks Noreia while Legio I leapfrogs them, attacking the interior city of Syestica. Both fall with not much of a fight. Legio III then moves past Legio I, heading towards the coast to attack Lader. A Daorsi army marches out and a battle is fought in the woods. Legio III comes away with the victory before chasing down the remnants of the Daorsi 'Unbreakable Shields' Army, wiping it from the map. Legio III takes Lader on the subsequent turn.

The next two cities, neighboring eachother, happen to be the walled capitals of their two provinces (Noreia also was one). Legio I has arrived at this time as I know that I will need to attack this walled cities with two armies if I want to take them. I decide to attack the southern most one first, as it lays along the coast and gets me closer to controlling the entire province. Legio I moves to deal with a rebel army in the newly acquired territory, so Legio II and III attack Delminian, succesfully conquering it from the Daorsi. Legio I and Legion II converge on the other city, but at this point the Daorsi decide to join the Illyrian Confederation (with Athens and a few other cities) ending the war peacefully.

At first I view this as a bad thing, as I am unable to conquer the remaining cities of the provinces I now mostly control. But, upon further review, this is actually a good thing. My new conquests have almost doubled by income, slaves are rebelling in the northern corners of my empire (due to this new flood of foreign cultures within my borders) and I need to spend the time and money on subduing my rebels and Romanising my new conquests. The Illyrian Confederation also provides a buffer zone between myself and the Macedonians (and Sparta, their client state, who has recently joined the war). Once I am settle in my home provinces, my armies improved with siege weapons (Ballista) then I shall attack the Illyrian Confederation and take all of Greece!

The Expanded Borders of Rome: Click the link!

5. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

Having Venice, that was not founded until 421AD, instead of Padova (Patavium) that was a historical Roman ally in the game doesn't look right, of course most modern gamers will not notice that (and this will help to keep it that way :grumble:), it's a matter of taste but such inaccuracies greatly detract from the enjoyment of a game for me, at least they got Massilia (Marseilles) right.

6. Mussolini

It is Pativium :) I refer to it as Venice as, well, that lets non-Rome players know the area I am talking about.

I will start posting images in my next update.

7. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

This sounds like a really awesome game! I need to try this game out!