Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Vickers 6 ton light tank

Discussion in 'The Tanks of World War 2' started by Prospero Quevedo, Jan 23, 2022.

1. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

Vickers certainly had a big bite of the tank market their light tank the 6ton was bought and copied by a number of countries. The soviets made some improvements on their copy but the polish I think did the most modification of the design. The polish were interested in the Christie tank but negotiations fell thru and so they turned to Vickers and noticed the soviets were interested as well. They bought fifty but later canceled a portion of the contract as they found many problems of the tank and it was rather pricey for them they felt they could build s better tank cheaper. They redesigned it extending the superstructure to the rear giving them a large engine compartment as the engine was determined to be too small and weak. They found a better gun and kept increasing the armor with each series up grades they red ignited their tank 7tp as the tank increased to seven tons. It was far better than the original design the Germans captured a small number that they put into service as it was better than there panzer I and IIs. The lower hull was the same as the vickers with most of the changes to the upper hull and especially the engine. It was able to move faster and had a better reliability.
    Italy used vickers to model their armor on at the start, the L33 was designed based on a vickers design and a article said the idea for their L40 light tank was based on the vickers 6ton used as a base but changed for Italian ease of production it was riveted and bolted. The Italians for some reason just never got into welding their tanks they welded ships together so I don't know why they didn't weld the tanks s book I have says they felt it was cheaper and easier. Odd as a documentary on American war factories said they got away from riveting because welding was cheaper and faster. Maybe Italy had a storage of the proper welding gases I don't know. But they kept right on riveting up till the end of the war. I wonder if the Germans tried to get them to change when they took over the factories. I know they like a few of the late tanks but were frustrated with the very slow production rates.