Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Visit to Hamburg

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by Stevin, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Hope my old and trusted german camera will prove it's worth one more time...

Otto, Is it a too wild an idea to try and shoot some video footage of the bugger and post it here??? :cool:

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Stevin I found my diary, but dont have time to post the info yet--ill try to do so tonight.

3. Stevin

Stevin Ace

All in due time, Carl. I now hear that our eta is the 13th of august...which will give us some time...

But I would appreciate the info!

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Ok Stevin, here is what I have. Susanne and I stayed at Hotel Zum Eichbaum, which is next to a river. The price as of Saturday September 23, 2000 was: $82.50 for a night and for two. This was a room (more like a loft apartment) with a stocked bar, a killer stereo, TV Entertainment center. The restaurant was in front and the food was pretty good. I dont have the address written down--I thought I did.

Anyway--it is a very nice place near the outskirts of Hamburg, and will probably be the nicer of places to stay for a cheaper price. In the restaurant--it is festooned with all kinds of antiquities--including de-nazified relics--like a Railroad officers peaked visored cap, and other things. Also looks more like a place where jagers might stay as there is alot of influence in that area.

Sorry I dont have more info. The next day we went to Lubeck.

5. Stevin

Stevin Ace

The name is more than enough for such a seasoned researcher like myself :rolleyes: :cool: :D

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Sounds good then, and have fun researching the Hamburg Telefonbuch. :D Also hope you do decide to stay there--very very nice--very nice.

PS, we saw some Swans swimming in the river just before nightfall. Where I live--you do not see such things. Kinda reminds me a bit of our stay in Wilhelmshaven, in the Botel. Right outside my roons portal windows, there were several Swans floating by and I of course HAD to take several pictures.

Anyway--I hope your stay there is as good as mine was--or better.

7. Stevin

Stevin Ace

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

The Oak Tree..how fitting ! man, that place looks so relaxing, great graphics and it seems by the looks a fun place for an extended stay/research..... ! ;)

enjoy Stevin !! :D

E

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Ah--its just as I remembered. The room and the restaurant. In the pic of the restaurant, very back and almost center is where Susanne and I sat at, and the war relic peaked visor was (facing the camera) and to the left on a shelf.

Thanks for the memories Stevin.

Erich--yep--its a GREAT place to stay.

10. Andreas Seidel

Andreas Seidel Member

I lived in Hamburg for five years, actually. But everything I know dates back ages. There is a very nice shipping museum somewhere, which you should visit. Used to be my favourite museum in Hamburg.

And you ought to see what is called "Die Landungsbrücken", which is basically just the port. But its a nice sight if you don't usually see one.

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you for this info Andreas. Ill make a note to visit the prot when there next. Have you ever been to Wilhelmshaven, or Bremerhaven? They both have excellent museums. Wilhelmshaven has a midget uboat--and U 10 (I also happen to know the person who was its last CO, he is President of the Munich Submariners Association) Also, Bremerhaven has an excellent outdoor ships museum. U 2540, about 10 or so wooden masted ships, and I even saw a modern made Viking ship in the distance. I tried to get a pic of it but I think it was too far away.