Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

War sooner, or peace longer

Discussion in 'What If - Other' started by Panzer6, Mar 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Panzer6

Panzer6 Member

In May 1939, Hitler took the rest of Czeckoslavakia. This invasion (or as Hitler called it a liberation of Slovak people) took all trust between them and France and Britain. They had taken a country without a good reason to.
    The what if I propose is, what if Hitler try's for Poland in Spring 1939 instead of the rest of Czecoslovakia.

2. No.9

No.9 Ace

Re the outcome, little significant difference as the circumstances and ‘invasion’ requirements were very different. Post W.W.I, Poland was set-up to be an area of old historical domain (i.e. older than living memory), plus some punitive rip-offs. Czechoslovakia was in many ways a concept country compiled of different peoples whose principals at the time believed they could all live together as one brave new entity.

Hitler’s invasion of Poland was by military aggression. Czechoslovakia was considerably less of a struggle as the union was already fragmenting and its intended defensive perimeter against Germany was already negated when the Sudetenland was handed over in ‘38.

I see no reason why Britain and France would still not have reacted as they did to Hitler’s move from sabre rattling to open warfare. The Czechs would/could not have really resisted more or less than they did, and those Polish forces able to would still have escaped through the Carpathians.

If this ‘what if’ is to make a real difference to the onset of war, (though I doubt to the outcome), Poland needed to oppose any secession of the Sudeten to Germany and present a united front with Czechoslovakia.

No.9

3. Panzer6

Panzer6 Member

I don't know. When Hitler did take the rest of Czechoslovakia, this move took so much trust away from Britain and Germany that Britain rearmed and defended Poland. What I'm asking is Germany demands Danzig Corridor in May instead of taking the rest of Czechoslovakia. Thus Britain has not begun full rearming, and still trusts Hitler. Hitler could claim that they want to connect East Prussia and Germany, as well as want the German citizens back. By this, he could then say Poland was denying German citizens their rights. He could then (with tricks as in OTL) take the rest of Poland. Sure Britain would rearm but would they declare war. They had no obligation. British people wanted to avoid a world war. They went to war for Poland very reluctantly. Is it possible?

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I do think Hitler realized where the "easier prey" was which would also strengthen his position as a political leader. Poland would mean bigger struggle and quite propably war.

Britain and France only needed to make a pact with the USSR and Hitler would not have dared go looking for a fight around but somehow this was not an option even in Aug 1939 so Stalin chose to protect himself and made a pact with Hitler.

Anyway, as the idea of war was not that bad for Hitler he just needed an excuse and Danzig would serve this purpose just right.

The rules here are different here for negotiation. France and Britain want peace, Hitler war. You cannot really get out of it without war, I think.

5. Panzer6

Panzer6 Member

I know, but would going for Poland result in war being stalled?

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I cannot be sure of Britain and France at the time but the USSR probably would declare war ( even if the Polish were not their good friends ) so Hitler would have to make a deal with Stalin anyway.

One must also remember that before WW2 it was considered a declaration of war if you called the men in arms. So you could not do that "for fun".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.