Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

War trunk, ww1 or 2? Need help understanding.

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Chef des Todes, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Chef des Todes

Chef des Todes Flight Medic

Hola everyone, I recently was able to get my hands on this trunk. It was given to me by a friend at church. He claims to have obtained it 20 years ago in NY. I believe it's a world war 1 American trunk, though I have no clue and know nothing about it. He literally came up to me and said here have this, I realize you'll take good care of it. End of story in that sense. So any help at all on anything about it, would be very nice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This photo is when you open it, that painting clips on, and the back doesnt work so I had to hold it, thats why there isnt the whole trunk for a better view.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

I am not sure if that is a military steamer trunk or not best I can give is a maybe. The lable on the side : "Wm House: Lyons, NY.: Zenobia t 41" The 'Zenobia t 41' ctually refers to the telephone exchange near Lyons NY, Zenobia represents the letter 'Z' or the number '9' on a telephone dial which would make the exchange (or telephone prefix) 941. The current prefixes are 945 and 946 so I am thinking 941 actually belongs to a town that has developed unto it's self since.

Lyons (village), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

It's a WWI area US. transport trunk for steamers cars or trains. .The maker was appointement for military contracts but I believe this actual trunk is civilian, not military.

4. Vitesse

Vitesse Member

The painting inside looks more 1890s, which would fit pretty much with this, from "Grip's Historical Souvenir of Lyons, NY":

Source: Full text of ""Grip's" historical souvenir of Lyons, N. Y"

It also links well with this ginger beer bottle, which was sold on eBay a while back

[​IMG]
    Source: Lyons NY William House & Son Old Export Brand 9 oz. (05/14/2007)

However, I don't think that's a telephone number on the side of the trunk. There's another very similar trunk by the same maker (with the same picture inside) for sale here:

1866 Small Trunk MC Tilley & Co Military & Soci

Note the inscription on the end, which seems identical in style with a cross (or dagger?) next to the number. The seller suggests it may be for a fraternal organization: as we now know Mr House was a member of at least four of those, that looks to me to be very probable!

formerjughead likes this.
  5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Good one Vitesse, this confirms the civilian use of the trunk.