Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

war44.com

Discussion in 'Safe Harbor Initiative' started by Otto, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

In 2006 the WWII discussion board known as War44.com was established. Jim, the admin of the site has maintained the community up to this day.

On occasion however, the real world intervenes in ways we cannot predict, and his virtual effort could be maintained any further. Jim contacted me about his website late last week. I now have a full backup copy of the war44 community, and he is in the process of transferring the domain over here.

I appreciate anyone who ventures out and creates relevant WWII content & communities online. It is however a very special person who takes steps to ensure that research and information they helped create is preserved when they are unable to maintain their work.

Current plans are to import the posts into our database. The import will be completed along with the upgrade to XenForo and migration the new server. I will update this thread as we progress.

Another heartening win for the Safe Harbor Initiative.

Cheers Jim, you are an undeniable gentleman.

TIRDAD, Poppy, TD-Tommy776 and 4 others like this.
  2. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

I've been on that site. Jim does a great job and I'm glad you'll be helping him out.

Otto likes this.
  3. Otto

In truth he is helping us out as much as we are helping him. Jim did some great research into Brian Guy, Walter L. Marlowe, & Ron Goldstein, and has some great Normandy bunker photos. I would be a crying shame to see that lost.

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

That's great to know. Bunker pictures are always great to see. Whenever I visit bunkers I find out how fast they get degraded and sometimes pictures are all what left of some of them. I hope the data base will be secured.

Otto likes this.
  5. Otto

It is Skipper, I have a full backup of the site. All the content from war44.com will soon be available here.

Skipper and CAC like this.
  6. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Sounds like a great move , Otto,data seems to stay on the Internet forever but not necessarily in a organized manner.

Gaines

Otto likes this.
  7. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Good on you, Otto. You've taken on a huge task. Good luck in your endeavors.

Otto likes this.
  8. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Great show, Otto and thanks to Jim for contacting you about holding on to his data.

Otto likes this.
  9. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Love the collaborative effort

10. Otto

A good thing indeed.

Rather than keep a separate community on this server apart from these WWII Forums, we've decided to merge the posts into our database. It will be as if all the posts were made here on this site, accessible via the search function, with threads open to new replies here. Members of war44 will have their profiles imported, and will be able to post here if they wish. People who hold memberships on both sites (such as ColHessler) will have their profiles merged.

There will be some sorting to do, but this will ensure all war44 data stays alive.