Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Was artillery as intense during battles as tv and movies about world war 2 suggest?

Discussion in 'Counter-Battery Fire' started by OpanaPointer, Feb 1, 2022.

1. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

Part 2 of the Op Goodwood Training Film by SSVC shows part of the artillery barrage for Op Goodwood around 9.12 - I think it is the real thing because of the short rounds among the tanks.

The von Rosen interview mentions the psychological impact of firepower. This was from the bombing, but aerial bombs and heavy artillery have similar effects.

Gunners in Normamndy ch 16

There were lots of phases in the fireplan and a lot of the fire was counter battery. This is the bit concerning the rolling barrage

Gunners in Normandy Chapter 16

This was fired by 192 25 pounder gun Howitzers.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  2. Dennis Alexander Kalnoky

Dennis Alexander Kalnoky Member

Fascinating thread. I have read all of your posts w/ great interest.

Something Eugene Sledge (With The Old Breed) said about artillery was that the duration of the artillery barrage was more impactful than the intensity of the artillery barrage. Continuous artillery bombardment over long periods of time would cause men to lose their nerve.

USMCPrice likes this.
  3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

Yah, gettin' hammered can make anybody a little fuzzy.

4. Bolshevik

Bolshevik Active Member

Marine William Manchester is quoted in "Goodbye Darkness" as saying that there wasn't much that scared him, but artillery fire used to "turn his bowels to water".

Artillery is still the big stick on a battlefield.

Thank heavens we don't use artillery in quite the concentration that was achieved on the Western Front during the Great War.

I have read at least one soldier quote that stated quite catagorically that the during the Great War there was "...too much fucking artillery,"

Will we ever see bombardments of that manitude again? German concentrations during Verdun came very close to achieving the desired outcome of smashing everything in their path. Verdun was a very narrow frontage, only 9 or ten miles with over 1500 guns deployed for the initial bombardment, and the effect was stunning for any Frenchie unfortunate enough to be caught in its path, as the guns were concentrated against one target after another and then back and forth,

Standard German practice was also to stop at certain points to encourage the thought that the bombardment had ended. Men would get out of their holes or go to the latrine only to be caught when the bombardment resumed a very short time later.

I don't think modern soldiers experience artillery fire in any way shape or form as it was done during the Great War.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but footage of psychological battle casualties from that period show men with completely shattered minds.

Bolshevik

5. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Seems like the Russians will use a lot of artillery in Eastern Ukraine next as civilians are being evacuated from there in a hurry.

6. RTO

RTO New Member

TBI wasn’t recognized til the US got involved in the Middle East mostly due to land mines. However, you don’t have to just suffer a physical wound to kill you. Being too close or subjected to explosions within close proximity by artillery can kill by concussion.

7. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

I was KIA-BNR twice.