Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Was Britain behind Valkyrie?

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by GRW, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Also I recall the "Lair" was closed after the the explosion and Stauffenberg's car was stopped . The guards called for instructions and they were ordered to let him go away. Sounds like some top nazi was involved, too. Otherwise Stauffenberg would not have been able to continue away.

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Discovering from Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel that the bomb had not killed Hitler, Fromm refused to initiate Valkyrie, only to know that General Friedrich Olbricht had initiated in his name; refusing to co-operate, he was removed and arrested by the conspirators and replaced by General Erich Hoepner. Meanwhile, Carl-Heinrich von Stülpnagel, military governor of occupied France, managed to disarm the SD and SS, and captured most of their leadership. He travelled to Günther von Kluge's headquarters and asked him to contact the Allies, only to be informed that Hitler was alive.

By this time Reichsfüher-SS Heinrich Himmler had taken charge of the situation and had issued orders countermanding Olbricht's mobilisation of Operation Valkyrie. This led to the failure of the coup, with most of the commanding officers learning that Hitler was alive and cancelling their operations.

Operation Valkyrie - Wikipedia

Notice as well the following site:

Operation Valkyrie

Once Hitler died in the explosion, the military would claim the assassination had been part of an attempted coup by the Nazi Party and would then implement Operation Valkyrie. The Reserve Army would seize key installations in Berlin and arrest high-ranking Nazi officials, including Goebbels, while disarming loyal SS units. Meanwhile, upon receipt of the Valkyrie orders, Stülpnagel would consolidate army power in France as well. In the confusion of Hitler’s death, Göring, Himmler, and other major Nazi leaders would be arrested, and a new government established with Goerdeler as Chancellor and Beck as president. This government would then be positioned to negotiate an armistice to end the war with more generous terms for Germany.

The July 20, 1944, Plot to Assassinate Adolf Hitler

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  3. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

Never mind how he should have executed the bombing. The most important lessons were:
    1. Don't let strangers (and things) into your concrete bunker. Use a lighter structure.
    2. Invest in a solidly built wooden conference table with monolithic wooden trestles.
    3. Enforce a helmets-off and jackets-off policy for visitors.
    4. People don't have to come in with their bags. Those should be left outside.

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

So many similartites between then and now in Russia...
    Intervention from China or internal is about all that will stop Putin at the moment...

5. Carronade

Carronade Ace

I think the reference to Oswald is to him being shot with a pistol, as was Reagan. It's a valid point; Oswald was under guard in a police station, but Jack Ruby was able to pull a pistol and shoot him before anyone could react.

Ruby is the one thing that makes me wonder if there might be something to the Kennedy conspiracy theories. Ruby basically threw away his life to kill someone who was in custody and would no doubt have been convicted and punished.

CAC likes this.
  6. Dennis Alexander Kalnoky

Dennis Alexander Kalnoky Member

The British were behind the killing of notorious SS man Reinhard Heydrich. There was also a British plan to assassinate Rommel. I thought this was all done by the SOE.

^^This is an excellent point re: Ruby.

The great Texan Jim Marrs wrote an excellent book about the Kennedy Assasination called Crossfire. This was the basis for the Oliver Stone movie JFK. My personal favorite theory (not covered in the movie) was the deaf guy who witnessed a man dressed as a hobo w/ an AR15 on the overpass.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  7. Dennis Alexander Kalnoky

I seem to remember in Otto Carius book he describes having to hand over his pistol before having dinner with Himmler. I imagine security for Hitler was even tighter.

8. Carronade

Carronade Ace

Been I while since I read Carius' book (Tigers in the Mud) but my recollection is just the opposite; he was mildly surprised that he didn't have to surrender his pistol while visiting Himmler. This was after he was awarded the Oak Leaves, which was normally done personally by Hitler, but on this occasion Himmler deputized for him. Carius described a pleasant evening, including Himmler inviting him to transfer to the SS, but understanding when Carius preferred to remain with his unit.

9. Dennis Alexander Kalnoky

That sound right. Good memory.