Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Was ist das Sperber ?

Discussion in 'Atlantic Naval Conflict' started by Erich, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

That appears to have been a very precarious 'take off'!

Many more links like this one and I may just start to pick up a little German language knowledge - thanks!

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

have to admit I agree very similar to the literal "push off" of the KM heavy ships of their little Heinkels and Arado 196's

4. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

May i be helpful! Only for a glass of a good scotch per hour! What´d you say???

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

how about a Glas of Schnaps instead . . . . ? think there were at least 7 of these Catapult ships in existence and of course of different dimensions

6. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Interesting topic! For the reason that i´m not a Navy, sorry Kriegsmarine guy, i´ve never seen them before. They are looking a little weird with those huge Do´s and B&V´s on deck.

7. Biak

Danke Herr Ulrich und Herr Erich !
    I have an ample supply of Scotland's finest and would be more than willing to share. I'll need to pick up more Schnaps tomorrow, running rather low on that right now! How about a sample of good old American Moonshine? Half a "mason" jar sitting on the shelve.

8. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Gutes Angebot!

I´ll take the part with the moonlight and the scottish stuff in the right hand! And after some of them you will speak easily German and my english is getting better from glass to glass too!

36thID likes this.
  9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

think I'll pass on the local stuff Biak

Ulrich think range in the far north -- Norway and the Baltic. though many inlet bays in the area of Norway still being mobil would be a good thing, small flat top(s) hidden away in some fjord not suitable for any LW/KM recon aircraft base do to supply and demand and of course access for road conditions. perfect............
    am not positive though any of the Sperber's had any Flak defense on them.

10. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Apologies I completely forgot about this hidden gem ...................... hopeful one can view some of the photos within the 9 pages. Brush up on your Deutsch all

Flugboote / Wasserflugzeuge

11. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

A good reason for them Erich, but my thinking was that they were very vulnerable and quickly starts were hardly possible. And how maneuverable were they with that load on them in a windy sea?

12. Biak

Erich, did the article say the aircraft had Pratt & Whitney engines? And was that common for Germany at the time?

13. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Yes, in 1927 it wasn´t a problem to find US engines or aircrafts. See Udet he loved the Curtiss Hawk.

14. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Ulrich face downwind would be my guess, as I have never taken off from a sea crate like that. obviously the small crafts were well counterbalanced with strong cranes as they moved from side to side which had to weigh heavily not in the favor of the sea worthy ship.

Biak not if we are speaking of the BV 138C floatplanes, these were equipped with Junkers Jumo's, the Dorniers with Fafnirs on the Do 24's and the earlier Do 18's also had Jumo 205D's like the BV floatplanes. As Ulrich said some co-operation pre-war on Floatplane prototypes in the early 30's.

15. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Yes Erich, i meant a emergency start in case of an assault to the ship. So they must have been very cumbersome with that load high atop!

16. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

the heavy Bv 138C's could reach a speed of 150mph maximum. slow fat ducks, under attack they could take punishment as recorded by the units that flew them on operations though while aboard a catapult ship under attack by rocket firing Beau's or Mossies, well .............. no thanks !

17. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

There i can only agree, Erich! Similar to a clay dove shooting.

18. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

speaking of the 4-5 units flying the Bv 138C I can attest that very few were shot down in action in the far north. most involved silly accidents with the crews not paying attention especially during landing approaches.

19. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

So they had a basically "Safe job" up in the north. I think it was for the reason that the north wasn´t such a important theatre?!

20. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

no I would not say that, maybe more difficult than the Med and Black Sea as the north was much colder and a wider/longer expanse to cover. The LW had to contend with both US/British fleet and aircraft as well as the Soviets. Weather was a constant menace and being shot down in cold north waters was almost certain death