Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Was the Med a sideshow?

Discussion in 'North Africa and the Mediterranean' started by Mahross, Jul 12, 2004.

1. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

Not only Greece. Hitler sent soldiers to Kesselring even after Mussolini fled.Italy was important to hold. Allowing the Allies to advance in the Med would have given them easy access to the Reich and then Germany would have had another front to worry about.

2. GunSlinger86

GunSlinger86 Active Member

The best equipped and a lot of the times the best trained German troops were fighting in Italy, they desperately wanted to protect the Southern flank and fight the Allies in Italy instead of Germany. It was no sideshow in my opinion.

rkline56 likes this.
  3. knightdepaix

knightdepaix Member

So after Italy entered the ww2, Italy became a sink of German troops and could not contribute enough to the German war economy. If Italy remained neutral, could it still help Germany in lesser effort, similar to Franco's Spain.

4. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

5. lwd

lwd Ace

Did Spain actually help Germany that much? Aside from a division of men (they were equipped by the Germans weren't they?) I don't see that they much of a contribution.

6. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

Franco refused to allow passage of German land forces for an attack on Gibraltar.

7. knightdepaix

knightdepaix Member

Although I agree that the Med was not a sideshow, I read contrasting views of Italian contributions. One source by an Italian scholar says that Italy during ww2 contributed to German war effort with exports and could only keep on fighting as long as the USA did not join the fight in North Africa. Once the USA did join, Italy was doomed to surrender -- in only a matter of time and timing. This source faulted the Italian economy and governance. Another source by a Cambridge scholar says Italian war effort was plenty of flaws. It was Germany and Czech industries provided some assets -- for example tank prototypes and capture Soviet tanks but Italian governance could not take advantage of it. Not only did this source fault the economy and governance, but also almost everything else except a few bright spots of Italian troops bravery and innovation in a sea of trash ordnance and tank designs