Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Washington-Britain's greatest foe

Discussion in 'Military History' started by GRW, Apr 14, 2012.

1. efestos

efestos Member

That explains why there aren't Bertrand du Guesclin ... Joan of Arc :D ...

2. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Well you've had the harriers...Can we have that new JSF thingy but with propper landing gear for our make believe carriers...I still say William the Conqueror was our biggest foe, enemy, successful antagonist...He actually won the country...lock stock and smoking barrels of mead.

3. urqh

The question in that case is irrelevant...Cos I said so...well not just that...but if you are going to ask a question on the subject of Britains worst whatever...then you cannot really narrow it down by years...Or it is not Britains worst whaterver.

4. urqh

Or even any of the first popes.

5. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I LIKE the Harriers! And for a mere $235 million US dollars we'll sale ya as many F-35B's as you want. Heck maybe a package deal at 4 for a Billion.

6. lwd

lwd Ace

But he fought the Saxons not the British.

7. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

Thinking about this thread I have come to the conclusion that the British have been Britain's greatest foe.

If they would of left the Americans, Indians, etc. alone to govern themselves in their own lands then they wouldn't of had near the grief they created.

Mind you this line of thinking applies to all nations but the question was regarding the British.

KTK

8. urqh

Well he had to fight whatever inhabitants there were at the time Lwd....As the British are basically mongerels...There was never a true blooded Brit around to defend the place. If he had to go looking for an original Brit He would have to book a history lesson with old cnute. But I'd suggest the nearest thing he would have found to a Brit on landing was old Godwin himself and his pals...But we are off topic I think...Last chance the Vikings had too I believe. But then again I'm a Celt who professes to be British...we are a confused race on these islands.

9. phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking Member

LOL the more cynical MIGHT say he got handed his ass...twice...and the Romans didn't come back themselves for another century! :D

I posted on this elsewhere last night. I was quite amazed. Michael Collins???

Here's the more detailed version of the story that I posted on - George Washington named Britain's greatest ever foe - Telegraph

..and the article tells us FAR more about how history is perceived today rather than anything else!

"Led" literally....as in his panzergruppe was consistently at the front of German operations! [​IMG] But he did not command the German invasion of France. And this was a historian saying this???

The IRA did NOT fight the British Army to a standstill; what it DID do was make the island of Ireland too expensive to police; at the high point of the War of Independence, for instance, with the British ALSO involved in the Russian Civil War, and in garrisoning the former Ottoman Empire...there were 150,000 regular British troops in Ireland, the majority of which did nothing except stand guarding things [​IMG]

What made Ireland ungovernable was the majority of the people refused to acccept and boycotted British rule and administration - and rents, rates and taxes! - and helped form and run...and most importantly ACCEPTED...the "shadow" administration of the First Dáil, and the city/borough councils that went over to their side and began physically running Ireland in the name of the Dail Eireann.

10. urqh

Blimey....dont we go off into other interesting areas...Agree with the Ireland synopsis by the way....But one interesting blogger on the Telegraph I read yesterday also brought up the lack of ww1 foes mentioned...I agree with that one...What about one or two names from that conflict appearing?

11. phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking Member

There's also the whole question of "writing Adolf out" of the list as a "politicial" leader....not by as early as 1941 he wasn't, not wholly! He was micromanaging more and more of the war. None of the major leaders where wholly political...though Stalin came closest, despite the propaganda claims for Soviet popular consumption ;) Winston kept the Minister for War portfolio for himself, and as we all know interfered constantly...sometimes very successfully, sometimes not!...in the conduct of Britain's war!

I can understand them wanting to "open up" the list of potential foes...but not necessarily by twisting history out of shape to do it!

12. Biak

Thought this was as good a place to put this as any.

U.S. marks second victory over British in War of 1812

NEW ORLEANS | Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:23pm EDT

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - A parade of naval vessels and square-rigged sailing ships made their way on Tuesday up the Mississippi River to New Orleans under threatening skies, kicking off a national bicentennial commemoration of U.S. victory in the War of 1812.
    Often called the second War of Independence, the conflict is best known because much of Washington, including the White House, was burned by the British before the United States prevailed.
    On Tuesday, Coast Guard helicopters hovered low above the river as the boom of a cannon and pops from a 21-gun salute by Navy seamen greeted three majestic tall ships. They included the U.S. Coast Guard Barque Eagle, and six modern military vessels entering the Port of New Orleans.
    The vessels will be open for public tours through April 23 as part of New Orleans Navy Week, before traveling to New York; Norfolk, Virginia; Baltimore; Boston; and New London, Connecticut. Events to commemorate the war are planned in Milwaukee, Chicago, Cleveland and Toledo, Ohio; Detroit, and Buffalo, New York.
    In the war American forces, with its small naval fleet, prevailed against the British and the vaunted Royal Navy. The victory was instrumental in establishing the United States as a formidable military force and solidified the country's claim to the Louisiana Purchase, effectively doubling the size of the nation.
    It might seem strange that the United States began its commemorations in New Orleans, the site of the war's final battle in 1815.
    "It's only fitting that we begin the bicentennial commemoration of the War of 1812 in New Orleans to honor the exceptional war fighters, history and traditions that emerged during this battle and laid the foundation for today's versatile naval force," said Rear Admiral Ann Claire Phillips.
    Though it came to a close near the Gulf Coast, the war in which the United States sought to end Great Britain's interference in U.S. trade relations and internal affairs began to the north, with Americans battling both British and Native American forces in the Great Lakes area of the Canadian border and along the Atlantic coast.
    AMERICAN SEA VICTORIES
    On a cloudy, windy day in August 1812, according to the Naval History & Heritage Command, the U.S. Frigate Constitution devastated the British Royal Navy's HMS Guerriere off Nova Scotia, in the first of several American victories at sea.
    The United States suffered its share of defeats along the way, with Americans suffering heavy losses at Fort Detroit. Much of Washington - including the White House - was burned.
    But Americans prevailed in major battles at Lake Erie and Lake Champlain, and a turning point was a victory in the Battle of Baltimore - when Francis Scott Key composed "The Star-Spangled Banner." The bloody battle in New Orleans in January 1815 - fought weeks after a peace treaty was signed but not ratified by the respective governments - solidified the young nation's stature.
    The war had been unpopular among many citizens, particularly in New England, and talk of secession surfaced at the Hartford Convention in December 1814. But as word spread that Major General Andrew Jackson's troops and militiamen had prevailed in a land battle along the Mississippi River, celebrations erupted along the Atlantic Seaboard, said Jason Wiese, assistant research director at the Historic New Orleans Collection.
    "The victory had a galvanizing effect on the whole country," Wiese said. "The aftermath of the War of 1812 is when you first begin to see a cohesive sense of national identity."
    The war's final battle also changed the nation's view of New Orleans, having seen the city as "exotic" and separate because of its European and African cultural roots, said Tulane University professor Lawrence Powell, author of the new book "The Accidental City: Improvising New Orleans."
    "After that battle, the city was viewed as recognizably American, even though it was different," he said.

Sorry about this too but it's just too much fun :)

[video=youtube;BLfSI2zKLVc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLfSI2zKLVc&feature=fvwrel[/video]

13. belasar

belasar Court Jester

For shame Biak, you're just gonna rile up our English cousin's! :)

14. Biak

I don't think they will take offense. Heck if I had made "U.S. marks second victory over British in War of 1812" more like this:
    U.S. marks second victory over British in War of 1812,
    it might look like I was gloating. But I didn't. Besides they're sleeping now, it's 0200.
    Some of my best friends are British.
    Wait, come to think about it, I don't actually know any Brit's personally, but if I did I'm sure they'd be a good friend.

15. urqh

We didn't exactly send our best...as we were busy elswhere I seem to remember...but what can you expect from a nation that does not understand the rules of cricket? You don't always have to win to win you know...Sometimes its best to declare before it rains....Call it a draw and avoid the sticky wicket.

As for being asleep....we never sleep....one eye is always open...

Polite War - YouTube

16. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Anything that annoys the English is fine by me! :p

17. Biak

Okay I'll admit the British (or English whichever is proper etiquette) set the standard for Chivalry. My God Man, you didn't send your first line troops and still were able to burn down our President's House! Although some may just accuse the bloody Redcoats of being arsonists in 'natty' attire. I believe the last line which states: "After that battle, the city was viewed as recognizably American, even though it was different,", explains us dredges of Society quite well. One must remember that all we wanted here in America was to live Free without excess taxes or a domineering Government. Once we settled that messy problem of taxation without representation and "convinced" the local inhabitants our being here was for their own good, we became a rather peaceful Nation. If you overlook the occasional tiff every few years with various factions of those we were trying to help that is.
    We have crickets here. Bloody nuisances! Keeps one up at night with all that 'chirp-chirp-chiiiirp-chi-chi-chiiirp'.

18. lwd

lwd Ace

Well the term was used to describe the pre Roman Celtic tribes that dwelt there and later the Romanized ones as well. The Saxons however had either conquered them or pushed them into periphial areas (Wales, Cornwall, etc). William at least initially only attacked the Saxon kingdom of England.

19. urqh

all we wanted here in America was to live Free without excess taxes or a domineering Government.

How's that going for you Biak Mate?

20. Biak

Picked up on that did ya' ! Just mailed out our annual donation. That coupled with our other contributions of State, County, Property, Petrol, Utility, excise on everything you can think of taxes. I'm too tired and discouraged to even want to begin to think about the Overment-Knowwhatsbestforyou.
    screw-it, I'm going to an estate sale this afternoon and maybe I can find something to assuage my distress :)

One more thing;

Hail Britannia !

:flag_unionjack.wave + :flag_USAwave: = :cheers: