Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Waxwork Hitler beheaded in Berlin

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Molucky, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Molucky

Molucky Member

[​IMG]
    A desk was supposed to keep people away from the waxwork

Source -
    BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Waxwork Hitler beheaded in Berlin

A man has been arrested after tearing the head off a wax figure of Adolf Hitler at a newly opened branch of Madame Tussauds in Berlin.
    The 41-year-old man was held after attacking the waxwork, only hours after the attraction opened on Saturday.
    The inclusion of Hitler in the exhibition has aroused controversy in a country where Nazi symbols are banned.
    But the exhibition's organisers said they could hardly depict German history without portraying Hitler.
    They said the waxwork depicted Hitler in the hours before his suicide, a defeated figure slumped in his bunker as the Red Army reached Berlin.
    The Fuhrer was positioned behind a table, which was supposed to prevent visitors posing with the statue - or damaging it.
    'Showing reality'
    Police spokesman Bernhard Schodrowski said a security guard had been shoved aside by the attacker.

"He tried to prevent the man from acting but failed. The suspect, from the Kreuzberg district, pushed the man aside and lunged at the Adolf Hitler figure and ripped the head off."
    Another visitor, who was not named, said the man went straight to the Hitler figure and stepped behind the desk.
    "I heard a rumbling and then he tore the figure down off the chair. The security was immediately there and tried to control him but it wasn't easy, he defended himself. Additional security staff took him away then and I had to leave the place," he said.
    The attacker was only the second visitor to enter the exhibition, according to one report.
    Media criticism
    The decision to include a figure of Hitler has been controversial from the start.
    Natalie Ruoss, of Madame Tussauds, said: "We did surveys while we were planning the exhibition on the street with Berliners and with tourists, and the result was quite clear that Hitler is one of the figures that they want to see.
    "Seeing as we are portraying the history of Germany we could hardly have left him out... we want to show the reality."
    Despite some criticism in the media, Stephen Kramer, general secretary of the Central Council of Jews in Germany, said he did not object to Hitler being shown, as long as it was done properly.
    "Hitler should not become a tourist attraction but if this exhibition helps to some extent normalise the way of dealing with Hitler, as a kind of a demystification, let's try it," Mr Kramer told the AFP news agency.
    "Erasing him from history is not going to bring the perished ones back, it's not going to heal the damage that he did, the crimes that he did. That would be counter-productive," he said.
    The waxwork museum also includes other German historical figures like Otto von Bismarck, Karl Marx, Beethoven, Bach and Einstein.
    Foreigners featured include Winston Churchill, Mikhail Gorbachev and Tom Cruise.

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Yeah, I just read about this on yahoo news. Aint it pathetic, that even if it is controversial to display his likeness in wax, that some aspholo, just has to go out and ruin it for everyone.

3. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

4. Molucky

Molucky Member

Sorry, my bad! If a mod wants to merge these 2 threads together ?

5. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

I guess it was only a matter of time before something like this happened to the exhibit.

6. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

I just stumbled on a Time Magazine article about the man who cut off Hitler's head. Here is a link for anyone who is interested . . ..

The Man Who Beheaded Hitler - TIME

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

soon or late this wax statue was going to be vandalized. Now the question is what about other wax (oops war) criminals? Is Blue beard going to beheaded too ? :D

[​IMG]

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I think ""Frank"" the former-policeman-really needs to get his Bier-soused head :panic:-examined. Pshaw-retiring from the force just because Ronald Reagan visited--all I can say to that is-Stupid.

""Frank"" needs to be spanked and sentenced to a long stand-in the corner-then made to pay a hefty fine-then pay the Museum for damages and then, made to do at least 5,000 hours of community service--at the Panzer Museum.

9. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

I think the real Hitler was a bit more portly than that, don't you agree?

10. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

In the final months of the war, yes. He had begun retaining fluids as noted in Dr. Morrel's notes and diary. This may have been the/a reaction or side effect of the anti-Parkinson's drug which Morrel began trying on him. I think the name of the common drug used at the time was Hamburg #680 (or some other number), and coupled with the nearly 40 other drugs and combinations of drugs Morrel was injecting him with drug interactions would be more not less likely.

Hitler was a rather "trim" figure for most of his life, thanks in part to the cocaine and amphetimine (Previtine) he consumed at a fervent pace.

11. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

He was a vegetarian, which would would undoubtedly give him negative health consequences (high body fat to muscle ratio, for example), languid disposition, etc.. He also ate a lot of sugary foods as well. This probably caused him to turn to stimulants.

Hitler's medical history is rather debated. Was he a really a regular coke user? In any event, he wasn't taking good care of his body..

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

The trouble I have with what you say is that im sure he had more important things on his mind-such as-keeping the Russians off his back from tearing wide open-the Eastern Front as well as keeping the rest of the Allies-out of his toothbrush mustache.

As far as I know, nobody ever did a medical study of anykind on the mental and physical aspects that losing a war-has on Dictators.

13. Adrian Wainer

Adrian Wainer Dishonorably Discharged

Well, whilst I can not condone people breaking the law, knocking off Hitler's head seems pretty much a victimless crime. The only thing which is rather unfortunate, is that nobody got around to knocking the real Hitler's head off, before he invaded Poland, in which case I would have been for it, regardless of whether it broke the law or not. I think, the big issue in respect of Germany with Third Reich militaria, is the refusal of the German Government to allow the swastika. In my opinion it is counter productive, e.g. when plastic construction kits of Third Reich Luftwaffe aircraft are produced for the German market, they will not be supplied with swastikas and this can actually lead to a confusion in respect of the Luftwaffe's involvement with the Third Reich and this is not only a German problem, in that kit manufacturers often supply the same kit to several countries and leave out the swastika in all the countries they supply it to, though the swastika might only be banned in Germany. Also I have seen that on several occasions the kit box art work is factually incorrect, i.e. the swastika does not appear on the art work of the boxcover, but the real aircraft depicted, carried a swastika marking.

Best and Warm Regards
    Adrian Wainer

14. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

I'm not blaming him for these things...I'd probably go insane if I were confronted with the same sort of responsibility..

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

16. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

That man is a fool. What point is he trying to prove? "I am mad about something that happened when I wasnt alive! So I will wreck the sculpture of it today! TAKE THAT HISTORY!!!!!"

17. Richard

Richard Expert

May be he would like to burn my books about Hitler? :rolleyes:

What about Stalin is he alright? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bloody jerk...these people are prats who need to be put into a straight jackets.

18. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Hitler's vegetarionism is a sort of "on again, off again" deal. He was one in public, and with his general staff meetings, but his favorite meals were stuffed squab (pigeon), and various cheeses with sausages. His first cocaine use started before he met Dr. Morrel, when he had a fiberous cyst/polyp removed from his vocal chords. It was then he began with a cocaine based throat spray and lozenge medication. You might enjoy this site:

http://commonsensewonder.com/cgi-bin/mt-comments.cgi?entry_id=7000

Wherein you will find this near the end:

"In an authoritative analysis of Hitler's medical condition, the "Medical Casebook of Adolf Hitler"; by L Heston M.D. and R. Heston R.N., the Heston's make a point that Hitler's tremor, because it was, initially, intermittent, represented either an exaggerated physiologic (normal) tremor or (perhaps) a hysterical tremor. But, the one-sided onset of Hitler's tremor (left-side), its occurrence at rest, its association with other features of Parkinson's disease, and its progressive nature argue against Hitler's tremor being an exaggerated physiologic (normal) tremor or a hysterical tremor. But, then it might also have been a drug-induced tremor:

"Hitler was on several drugs. These were prescribed (or mis-prescribed) by Dr. T. Morell, Hitler's personal physician. They were prescribed for a variety of symptoms, most of them related to fatigue, depression, and anxiety. The drugs included methamphetamine ("Prevetine") injected daily beginning in 1942. Cola-Dalmann tablets, containing a number of ingredients including caffeine, used daily since the mid 1930s. Brom-Nervacit, containing bromide, and used sporadically since 1942. All of these drugs, except Cola-Dalmann, were started before 1942, when Hitler's tremor began. All of these drugs can increase tremor, but they could not have caused Hitler's left-sided resting tremor."

Remember that even Dr. Theo Morell started treating Hitler with a medication commonly used to treat the Parkinson's in 1944 or 1945, something called (I think) "Hamburg 860", although Morell was such an unreliable and obvious quack of a doctor that there maybe NO validity in any of that doctor's diagnoses. There is no doubt that injections given to him by the doctor without whom he "could not live"; included large quantities of amphetamine, beginning at least by early 1936. (Because Hitler can be seen moving his hands back and forth on his upper legs in a way consistent with amphetamine use, called "stereotypical behavior," in 1936 Olympic Games films, his own use likely began even a bit earlier.)

Morell's injections, widely believed at the time to be multi-vitamins "specially compounded for the Fuhrer," ceased on occasion, and in those instances Hitler experienced depression, a likely symptom among amphetamine or cocaine (which Hitler also used) addicts when unable to get their "fix". Hitler also engaged in all-night monologues with increasingly disorganized thinking and confused syntax according to those who heard them. The latter should not be expected of someone considered to be a gifted orator if he was "clean". His mood swings became more volatile, paranoia increased (a common side effect of amphetamine addiction) and while early on he accepted blame for tactical errors which he himself had made, he eventually developed a desire and need to project blame onto everybody else. All symptoms of a drug abuse if not outright addiction. Not necessarily Parkinson's disease.

Of course the long-term "dangers" of these drugs were far from being understood, and in many cases simply put into the "wonder drug" set of all new "better living through chemistry" concept. Just my take on the drugs he used/abused and the time of course.;)

Wolfy likes this.
  19. Adrian Wainer

Adrian Wainer Dishonorably Discharged

Well the Germans in the video here would seem to disagree with you?

YouTube - Fawlty Towers | Germans

Best and Warm Regards
    Adrian Wainer

20. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace