Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

We will remember them

Discussion in 'Those Who Served' started by CAC, Aug 14, 2020.

1. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Courage, endurance, mateship and sacrifice...

It is with pride and sadness Australia remembers this day 75 short years ago. A truly global war fought by so many. So much sacrificed and given to stop the bullies.

America can stand tall, we remember you too.

Much love to all.

Half Track and Biak like this.
  2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

A time that endured the greatest of atrocities and the greatest humanitarian coming together in history.

Stay safe World.

3. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

We must remember them, or it's for nothing.

4. sonofacameron

sonofacameron Member

VJ Day 75th Anniversary.
    "Cuimhnichibh na suinn nach maireann .
    Mairidh an cliu beo gu brath".

(In memory of the Heroes who are no more.
    May their Fame live on forever)

5. R Leonard

R Leonard Member

Some passages from letters my father was sending home. At the time he was one of two assistant operations officers working for Jimmy Thach on the staff of VAdm McCain’s Task Force 38 off the coast of Japan. I have omitted lots of family related passages responding to the periodic influx of mail from the states that make sense to me but would leave you all with a profound “HUH???”)

14 August 1945
    “. . . Here I am perched up here on my bunk and very much in the last stages of getting to bed. It was more or less restful day and I took full advantage to make up for lost sleep. To wit, I slept until 1130 this morning. The rest of the day has been somewhat crowded making up for such bankers’ hours, but I really could stood the sleep. Tomorrow it will be another early reveille and lots of work, I am glad I got my sleep when it was available.

“Developments on the peace news have been mighty slow to my way of feeling. As a mater of fact I am getting pessimistic again and reconciled to a long drawn out struggle just as though they had never said ‘uncle.’ It will be a pleasant surprise if there is any change from that sequence though is is painful to be so skeptical about the whole thing . . .”

15 August 1945
    “. . . Here I am of the watch this evening. It’s getting a bit late and things are not as quiet as they could be. I hope to finish this off without interruption, but there is no great proof it can be done.

“Today started early and busy, slacked off a little when the announcement came through and has been hot and cold since. Of course, the fact of the announcement is the big news. The fact that we have not stopped shooting or being shot at makes things seem a bit incongruous, but I trust they will straighten out ultimately.

“The Japs are being cocky in their defeat. That is a good thing for with that as evidence we can be conscientious and rigorous in squashing them flat as soon as we can do it.

“I am sort of tired an out of sorts tonight, but my heart keeps singing just the same because the end of this business is in sight and much closer that my fondest dreams had ever hoped. None of this can be translated into just when we will all go home, but it’s nice to make conjecture . . .”

These, above, from a batch mailed out on 16 August 1945 and the below from the next batch, mailed on 24 August.

18 August 1945
    “.. . Happy mid-watch to you! This is the second one in a row and I am slightly weary and under-slept. Meant to have a visit with you during yesterday’s mid watch, but became entangled (‘embroiled’ as our Limey member would say) in a detective story until late then had the business of the watch to attend to and after that no time at all.

“Tonight promises to be even more busy so I am starting this early (0100) in hopes of getting my visit before things start popping. Much of this night watch is spent chasing little blobs of light around on the radar- the more company, the more blobs to worry about.

“In spite of the watches, things are going pretty quietly and non-strenuously the last day or so. A condition of watchful waiting is setting in. I still find it heard to believe that we have put this war to bed and won’t believe it until we have actually overrun the home islands, however, I am most happy at the turn of events even if it just means a little more sleep at the present. The immediate future looks little changed for me. Our job here will continue for quite some time and until something definite shows up I’ll not tease me or you with guesses or conjectures. Actual facts will be teasers enough when you realize how long it would take me to get home if I started right now . . .”

19 August 1945
    “Today was a bit on the different side. Went over for a visit on a Limey carrier. Had lunch, looked the packet over and returned. To & from by destroyer. All a nice change of scenery. We are standing by out here – ready for anything – whatever that is.

“I am still a doubter about peace and quiet – at least for a while. We simply must put a great army ashore and subdue those people and until that’s done I won’t breathe easily. Must admit, though, I am breathing much easier than before the peace talks began. We have been having interesting times but received no actual damage . . .”

20, 21, and 22 August 1945 -same omissions as noted above, all family related items and very short at that.

24 August 1945
    “ . . . Lots of people have been mentioning Adm McCain’s article, but I haven’t seen it yet. He is getting ready to leave. Not much change in prospects for me. Jimmy Thach and Charlie Sisson may be going soon also. I’ll be working for a new boss, Capt. Ewen. Admiral Towers is on hand – rather quiet. Adm McCain has given us all autographed pictures – said some nice things on mine. We are presenting him with a dispatch board with all our pictures as well as lots of combat pictures bound in a big folder. Sort of illustrated history with some wonderful shots included. He is a great one to work for and I truly regret his leaving. I am so glad he was here at the end of the war and know he is pleased it worked out this way. Jimmy T says he will drop a hint in Washington that I should like duty around Norfolk – possibly Patuxent Md. No prospects of anything happening for some time yet . . “

ColHessler likes this.