Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Well, ...

Discussion in 'Biographies and Everything Else' started by brndirt1, Dec 27, 2011.

1. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Well, I finished the book my little sister sent me, Death in the City of Light: by David King. And while I would like to not spoil the outcome by not telling you fellow Rogues if he got caught or not, since his trial is about half of the book that would be impossible.

There were "doubts" as to some of the evidence used against Dr. Marcel Petiot , and he was charged with the demise of 27 people since those were the only ones that even some evidence could be found which implicated him. Now, most of these people were either Jewish or members of the criminal underground fleeing occupied France. He himself claimed to have killed over sixty people, but he held that he was the leading member of a "cell" of resistance fighters (named fly talks) who only killed Germans and collaborators, his inability to lead anyone to any graves, his refusal to name the members of his cell, and his repeated changing of names and hiding from the authorities sort of threw a shadow over his claims.

Then his large fortune, multiple houses and such, bodies and body parts found in one of his mansions, and other damning evidence leaves one wondering just what was going on here. He had received a discharge from the military in WW1 on mental grounds, and received a 50% pension from that discharge time until his trial and conviction which is bizarre. Mr. King had extensive access to police records, diaries, trial transcripts, and just amazing amount of detail is included in this work. I highly recommend this book, it really covers a strange period of French history, the psychological work-up of the "good" Doctor casts him as an amoral sociopath, with no regard for other’s possessions or lives, but a superb actor who could fool most people most of the time.

Even at the end one is left with the odd feeling that he could have been innocent of some of the accusations, or just as easily guilty. Very strange tale.

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Sounds like this could make an excellent film if done right. Great review.