Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Wenck relieves Berlin!

Discussion in 'What If - European Theater - Eastern Front & Balka' started by Za Rodinu, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Guys, guys, guys, we have to get back to discussing WW2 in serious terms soon or we run the risk of being panzerpenguinised!

This forums has been joke after joke for weeks in most of the sections, it looks like the Free Fire Zone has taken over the entire forum :D So here is a serious what if for all of us.

What if Wenck's 12th Army (equiv. 3 divisions including Clausewitz Pz.Div.) had followed his orders and made a serious effort and did relieve the Führer, trapping the Russian Hordes in their Final Defeat?

Slipdigit likes this.
  2. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

At this point of the war, all that would have accomplished is a delay of the inevitable. Though, Hitler would have had his wish and died on Naplolean's birthday or was it the day Napolean died??????. Also, would that not leave the Western front open for an advance to Berlin, or at least closer?

3. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Well I would ask as to how many men did these 3 divisions have? In what shape these men were? and what were they equipped with?

Also when was would their futile effort begin. On April 25th?

ooops and I almost forgot, where would this effort take place? Where in Berlin?

4. Emperor

Emperor Member

Even assuming some of Wenck's units get to Berlin, I don't see how this traps any Russian hordes. The only effect would be increased casualties on both sides.

5. Roddoss72

Roddoss72 Member

Delayed the end by a day or so, nothing to gain.

6. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

Za, I suggest ruby slippers and clicking the heels togeather three times while chanting "They are coming,...."

Za Rodinu likes this.
  7. Jaeger

Jaeger Ace

This isna gony get ye a rep marker Za.

8. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

skunk works likes this.
  9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hitlers last hope, but Wenck's army was nothing more than a paper army. Suppose the men managed to get throug, the lack of sleep and morale would have thrown them back after a few days. Let's say it would halt the Soviets for a while they would just turn it inot another Warschau and enter the city when nothing is left. It may have delayed the war a few days, maybe a few weeks, not more. The only positive aspect I see is that it would have allowed Patton to get closer.

10. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

On the behalf of the thread starter, I am going to say that I believe this was all a big joke and he suckered all of us in here!

Negative reps coming! :D :D :D

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Slon, You are afraid that Wenck would have hindered the Soviets from entering Berlin and you would have to change your avatar! :rofl:

12. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

:rofl: RUBBISH!!! :rofl:

13. tikilal

tikilal Ace

hum... what else is there to do.:(

skunk works likes this.
  14. Roddoss72

Roddoss72 Member

Drink Schnapps and then blow your brains out.

15. Herr Oberst

Herr Oberst Member

Silly wabbit, twicks are for kids;):D:)

skunk works likes this.
  16. Roddoss72

Roddoss72 Member

Or folks without lives like us on this forum.

Skipper likes this.
  17. Herr Oberst

Herr Oberst Member

Speak for yourself John(Ross) Yup, my heart is beating and I have enough on my plate to give a CEO a headache;):D

18. John Dudek

John Dudek Member

Agreed. Wenck was at the very end of his tether. His decimated" army" was virtually out of supplies, fuel and ammunition. His movement into Berlin would have accomplished little to nothing. In the end, he chose the correct course of action by ignoring Hitler's orders and continue retreating to the West to save the fleeing civilian refugees and remaining soldiers in his command from the advancing Russians.

skunk works likes this.
  19. Avatar47

IF Wenck did, by some miracle, manage to relieve Berlin, it would have lengthened the war by another week or 2 for sure. What good that would have done is anybody's guess. The Germans' last chance for any offensive with any hope of succeeding was thrown away when they used their last fuel/men reserves for the Ardennes Offensive. Now, had Hitler decided to use those forces in an 'elastic' defense style on the Eastern front, then maybe this would have significantly prolonged the war, maybe another 3 months (at most). Hmm... that would make an interesting 'what-if', if Hitler had not gambled in the Ardennes...

Slipdigit likes this.
  20. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

The Red Army was attacking both in the north-east and south-east, and Wenck was only able to go for the south-east sector. The northern sector was to be attacked by Steiner and his troops. Steiner refused because he did not have the troops to do anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.