Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What are you reading (non Military History)

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Stefan, May 8, 2007.

1. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

We had one of these before the update but I did a search and I don't think it is here any more so lets try again. What non WW2 or general Military history are you folks reading?

I am currently slogging through Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness and V for Vendetta (the original). Also reading 'Possible Worlds' by John Divers for my course.

Heart of Darkness is excellent so far, I have started to make notes as I go for use when working on my own fiction. I have been reading some of the controversy about the book too, the supposed racism in itbut I would say that most of the charges are simply stylistic issues. Worth a read.

V for Vendetta is interesting too. It get's a bit tiresome but I reckon it is better than the film (which I like alot), it just seems to go on longer than is strictly necessary. I'm sure it'll be good in the end.

Possible worlds, tough to get one's head arnd but interesting, just takes a little time.

2. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

There was another thead Stefan, (which I bumped), but a new one is needed since the other one oncern "Non-WWII" and this one is needed since it covers non military topics, which is needed.

I also read V for Vendetta. I thought it was fantastic, and I liked the length of the story. In my opinion most graphic novels are much too short and having one that really went into detail was great, and it was still a lot shorter than a book. The end is worth the wait and a lot less cheezy than the film version.

3. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Yeah, I see your point Otto, I guess it's just the number of frames it takes to say so little.

4. Vince Noir

Vince Noir Member

While slightly military in content, I have just started Robert Fisk's 'The Great War for Civilisation - The Conquest of the Middle East'.

Well worth a read for those interested in the current situation, poltical history and also for the authors interviews with the infamous Mr. bin Laden...

5. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Stefan, when you say 'the original' V for vendetta I assume you don't mean in it's initial serial incarnation in the best comic ever produced; 'warrior' do you? if you do then my envy knows no bounds. ;)
    One of the top 5 Graphic stories ever written, I find myself avoiding the film as I fear enormous dissapointment.

Recently When I take a break from the 'bolt-counting sprocket-fondler books' (the missus's terminology) I'm mostly re-re-reading 'Preacher' by Ennis & Dillon. High energy, well written, well illustrated, and enormously tasteless.

Cheers,
    Adam.

6. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Graphic Novels and Comics are probably the most underated and unappreciated media format around. Many people don't realise how many Hollywood film started as comics first. In my opinion, Graphic Novels tend to be a better read than monthly comics since they are generally well written, and are self contained stories, complete with a beginning, middle and end.

I was referring to the V for Vendetta graphic novel by David Lloyd and the great Alan Moore, which I believe is a reprint of the original Warrior series. I didn't even know about the Warrior books until this post.
    [​IMG]
    Quality Comics put out some brilliant titles, I particularly like Strontium Dog and Rogue Trooper.

Joe Kubert, who created Sgt. Rock, has made some great WWII stories, inluding Yossel and his most recent Sgt .Rock book about the Battle of the Bulge, called Between a Rock and a Hard Place.

7. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

I'm going to have to check out Sgt. Rock. Quite a few people have recommended it recently.
    My WW2-related favourite which I don't reckon I'll ever tire of rereading would be that familiar Art Spiegelman classic; 'Maus, a survivors tale'. Strong stuff and deserving of it's Pullitzer.

8. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

I'm afraid it's the book version VP, much as I'd love a stack of valuable original comics. Have any of you chaps seen 'unbreakable' with Bruce Willis and Samuel L Jackson? There is a chap in that who suggests the graphic novel and comic are simply a continuation of a much longer tradition, much of what he says is loopy but there may be some truth in that bit.

9. Miller

Miller Member

The vast majority of what I read is historical military literature. On occassion I will read a novel of some sort. Obviously news articles and magazines as well.

The last non-military book I read was 'Into The Wild' by John Krakauer. It is non-fiction and it tells the story of a well to do man who donated all his money to charity, got rid of all his posessions, and traveled through the States with just his wits. This ultimately leads to his fate in Alaska. (This isn't giving away anything, it is all written on the front cover) Although a bit tragic, this was a GREAT book that I highly reccomend to really anyone. I enjoyed it from cover to cover.
    http://www.amazon.com/Into-Wild-Jon-Krakauer/dp/0385486804

10. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

Some real page turners:

Electrial Installation and Inspection, Complete Book of Kitchen Design and my favorite.....Plumbing Technology: Design and Installation. The chapters on septic systems are a particular favorite....... :D

11. FramerT

FramerT Ace

^^^LOL!^^
    920 pages of "Big Book of Home How-to". Comes in handy.[​IMG]

12. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

In anticipation of 4 weeks trapped on a camp in the wilds of Scotland I picked up Moby Dick and The Three Musketeers today, to provide some entertainment in the wee hours. Looking forward to breaking into them, both books I 'should' read at some point and now is as good as any.

13. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I got news for you, Moby Dick will do little more than put you to sleep. Good luck trying to finish, IMHO it was not a good book. Three Musketeers was good, but I liked The Count of Monte Cristo better. Try the abridged version, it flows better.

14. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

We shall see eh? It will be interesting to see how far I get. I have a new penguin translation of the Dumas so that might be different.

15. Slipdigit

Part of the problem could also have been that I was being forced to read MD in high school when the baseball diamond was calling my name.:cool:

16. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

The Reagan Diaries.

[​IMG]

17. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Whereas I shall be reading it on exercise when I have nothing else to do but sit around and get bored, god bless the army ;)

18. Slipdigit

Well, let me know if my impression of the book was all wet, but I'd still carry a spare just in case, maybe The History of Drying Paint.

19. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Star Trek Photo Novel: "Day of the Dove." Really a cool book and are worth alot these days ;-D

20. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Well, I'll have a Tactical Aide Memoire with all the infantry pages in if things get that bad. About as interesting as The OFFICIAL Watching Paint Dry Webcam.