Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What are you reading? (Non-WWII)

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Otto, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Shadow Master

Shadow Master Member

These forums!!!

In the last few months:
    Ender's Game (+2) [SF], Alien Invasion.
    Armor [SF], Alien Wars.
    The Black Company (+5) [Fantasy], Sword & Sorcery.
    Invader [SF], Alien Invasion.
    FootFall [SF]. Alien Invasion.
    Patriot Games [Fiction], Terrorists.
    Red Storm Rising [Fiction], WWIII.

Some time ago:
    The foundation (+4 or 5) [SF], Far Future wars.
    Pandora's Planet [SF], Alien Invasion {comedy, must read}. I broke this books spine when I threw it across the room, as I was laughing so hard I couldn't breath! :D
    Sleeping Planet [SF], Alien Invasion.
    EE Doc Smith: Skylark series. [SF], Alien Wars.

And a great 'what if' one:
    Operation Proteus. [SF], WWII with a twist. Einstein, Asimov, Kennedy, Churchill, Hitler, and Operation Overlord. If your reading this, you must be interested in WWII. If you can stand [SF] and "what If's", then this is a must read! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :D

2. Onthefield

Onthefield Member

I'm reading a curriculum on wine by Kevin Zraly. It's a great informational book and I can't wait to learn more aobut it.

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

'Hemingway - The 1930s' by Michael Reynolds. Never published in the UK, this is part 4 of a 5-volume critical biography of a writer who never ceases to fascinate me.

4. skunk works

skunk works Ace

More Sci-Fi
    Bought Insurrection, and Crusade by David Weber/Steve White. The first 2 in the series of the other 2, I mentioned (in Death Ground/Shiva Option).
    Book 10 in the Starfist Series, A World of Hurt, and book 1, Backshot by David Sherman and Dan Cragg.
    Want to start the Halo series, but have enough on my plate...for now.
    Also Philip K. Dick, Galactic Pot-Healer
    Shadow...
    Armor and Enders Game are both Classics (IMHO), Battlefield Earth is also good, though I do detest his (L.Ron)(sounds like N-Ron) politics/beliefs !
    Most military Sci-Fi is written by X-soldiers ;)

5. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Lately found some great bargains in the book shops on bands from the 1970´s to 1990´s.INXS, the Clash, also private diaries by Kurt Cobain, Abba, Bruce Springsteen...

;)

6. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Thomas Asbridges book on the First Crusade, pretty easy going so far, very enjoyable and informative with it.

7. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Read that one last year. Thought it was a pretty good read and certainly very interesting. Used it for one of my papers.

8. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Yeah, a lecter of mine described it as the 'manchester airport book of the First Crusade' on the basis that it's the kind of thing you can pick up at an airport and enjoy reading.

9. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

*bumped for Stefan*

10. Vince Noir

Vince Noir Member

I have 'Shiloh - The night before hell' on the go at the moment. Its an interesting military narrative of the campaign.

I am also reading 'Fiasco - The US military adventure in Iraq' and Eric Christiansen's book 'The Northern Crusades'.

11. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

'Dusty Warriors' by Richard Holmes is in my reading pile at the mo but it's on the back burner until I get this pesky degree sorted. Been reading alot about the Crusades for my Thesis/Dissertation but now that is complete I'm giving them a rest. If anyone feels like an entertaining romp through medieval Europe I heartily recommend Asbridge (for a fairly shallow but easy going account) or Edward Peters (ed) 'The First Crusade' for the primary source fans out there.

12. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

1066 Year of the Conquest, David Howarth. If you thought you knew about 1066 like me, then think again. This guy has written this like a first novel not a history. All the theories on who did what and why are questioned in a really good manner. He takes the perceived facts, from numerous scources not just one as the JIC and Pentagon might do....joke sorry... And takes what could possibly the most factually accurate and presents his belief on them.

The battle of Hatings is secondary though, only featuring in the last chapter. England and its way of life, its tribal kingdoms beforehand and its relations with the rest of the world are presented in a very readable fashion.

The Scandinavians feature big time also, as well as Harlods immediate family.
    Edward the confessor is shown in new light. But for me the most eye opening features is as the author says, Why did the Saxons not fight with the zeal they did at Stamford Bridge. Without spoiling this, and I believe the author has it spot on, religion plays a big part, in fact the word Jihad is mentioned at one point, what flags were flying on Williams poles at the battle, what message was conveyed to Harold by Williams religious emmisary before the battle? Makes sense to me now, the thought that just becuase the Saxons chased down the hill after retreating enemy caused the fall of England never did stick right. Why didnt Harold do as his brother suggested, and fall back burn all in sight, for a much bigger army over the next few months while his brother took the field against William, even if beaten Harlold could have starved them into surrender later.
    But no, Harold had reason to end it on that day one way or the other, he neednt have done so. But the authors view on why is he did is convincing.

One quote from history and the book I particularly liked was when Harlod rode out to face Tostig and the Vikings at Stamford Bridge, Harlod spoke to his brother Tostig from a few yards, just out of hearing of Scandinavians, offered him his old lands back if he changed sides, York had already fallen anyway and Harold was in the mood to replace the failed leaders there. Tostig stayed loyal to the Scandinavians however, but never gave his brother away as they would have killed him there and then no honour with the VIkings. Tostig asked Harold what the Viking king would get in return, what land, if Tostig got his old lands back....Halrold replied....6 foot of good English soil...Talking ended, battle started battle won.

13. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

May have to get hold of that one. I find Saxon England pretty interesting, the myth of an 'invasion' and so on (there had been Saxons in Britain years before te Romans left), the strange idea that somehow the Saxons displaced the local populace rather than becoming the ruling elite and so on. Nice review Urqh.

14. Richard

Richard Expert

From the Osprey series on Essential Histories The Iran-Iraq war 1980-1988

Not bad these books but it's worth trying to get hold them cheap as possible as they range 80 to 90 odd pages long, I find them good summery books.

15. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Certainly one great book. Extremely well written.

His "Trafalgar, the Nelson Touch" is a must read too.

16. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

17. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden; for the 2nd time because I loved it so much the first time.

18. montana a-10

montana a-10 Member

the old man and the sea
    Ernest Hemingway

Slipdigit likes this.
  19. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Is someone holding a gun to your head? :D

20. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

lol