Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Mahross, Feb 1, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I started this yesterday:
    [​IMG]

Soldiers - German POWs on Fighting, Killing, and Dying. Sonke Neitzel & Harald Welzer, 2011, (translated v 2012), Vintage Books,351 pages plus extensive endnotes. ISBN 978 0 307 94833 5 A few photos, no maps.

Transcribed secret recordings were made of the conversations between German PoWs in British and US control during the war. Neitzel found them in 2001 and used them for the basis of his doctoral thesis This book is the outgrowth of his educational efforts.

The first 2-3 chapters are discussions of psychological theory and was rather turgid. The next few chapters seem to be picking up my interest better.

EDIT:
    I gave up on this one about 40% into it. It got worse as it went along and was so boring I had to say "uncle" and move on to something else.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    Kai-Petri likes this.
  2. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Mowat's And No Birds Sang.

3. jmaune1419

jmaune1419 New Member

Dispatches by Michael Herr. Herr was a combat correspondent during the Vietnam War.

4. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Sinner! It's not WW II.

I should read that book.

5. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

I finished with On War, by von Clausewitz. He was a great instructor, but it's too bad he didn't have a gift for captivating writing. It did drag a bit. But, if you've read it, you know he said many things that stood the test of time. When he talked about types of commanders, for instance, personality-wise, I could picture examples like Harold Alexander, Hitler, and even Patton. He also said a bunch of things about supply and movement that fit well in WWII. It didn't have a lot of sexy sayings, but it did give some insight into the military mind. That's all from me.

Kai-Petri and Slipdigit like this.
  6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guild Publishing 1988

Slipdigit and ColHessler like this.
  7. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Mowat's The Regiment

8. GunSlinger86

GunSlinger86 Well-Known Member

Hitler: the Downfall (1939-1945).

9. borget

borget New Member

Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger. No hold back account from a front line German soldier during WW1.

10. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

I should take a break from WW II and read Storm of Steel. A copy was given to me.

BTW, just finished Still a PFC yesterday.

11. harolds

harolds Member

My father's letters to his parents while he was an officer cadet in the USAAF. He took gunnery training and was training as a navigator when war ended. Learned a lot re. my father, my family and stateside training during the war.

Riter likes this.
  12. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

@harolds. Suggest besides reading it, you transcribe and annotate it for publication. You can self publish through a print on demand or ebook. Pretty please?

Just got From Here to There: The Long Way Home by T. E. Stephens. Stephens was in the 135th Infantry, 34th Infantry Division.

13. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

A newbie....

[​IMG]

Merriam Press 2002

14. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

For the Motherland! For Stalin!

15. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

Hello Lou, I just finished the book last night after over a month of no reading (I hate getting in those ruts). Good read all together. Those poor DDs and DEs, and Jeep carriers.

I was especially disturbed as always reading about the affects of being in the ocean too long (saltwater soars, sunburns, and eyes crusting over), but also learning that a typhoons wind and rain can actually chip off a layer of exposed skin!

I’m grateful not to ever have to walk in the shoes of Bull Halsey and the decisions he had to make.

LRusso216 and Kai-Petri like this.
  16. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

Post Deleted.

17. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I finished it a bit ago and I agree. Halsey made a career's worth of mistakes. I'm currently almost finished The Admirals. Halsey appears prominently in it, as well. It seems he had cover from King and others and his "errors" were glossed over in the inquiry. Someone else would probably have been court-martialed. He was too famous to have suffered such a fate.

ULITHI likes this.
  18. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

The same may be said of MacArthur after the fall of the Philippines. Too popular to be sacked.

19. ram daryanani

ram daryanani New Member

I have just published a book on Amazon, "A Basket Full of Hands", in which there ia a sub plot of a Japanese WW2 war criminal who escapes the Tokyo Trial to become a very wealthy and respected citizen in Japan. When he is spotted by a few British veterans on a visit to England, retribution and revenge are swift, ingenious and terminal. Can be bought from Amazon free of charge for the next few days. Enjoy.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  20. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Neat!

Trying to start reading From Leningard to Hungary. Post WW II thousands of memoirs have been published in the Soviet Union yet only a few have been translated to english. Too bad.