Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Mahross, Feb 1, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Still battling with the the last 100 pages of the Himmler biography....

But I also started Mark J Reardon´s Victory at Mortain which looks quite nice and has definitely loadsa details about the fighting.

Been reading loadsa books on USSR and Stalin lately for some reason...

:rolleyes: ;)

2. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

All last month I didn't read any WWII thing... [​IMG]

Re-read the "Iliad" and "Odissey", Herodotus' "History" and Hesiode's "Theogony". Pierre Grimmal's "Greco-Roman Mythology", "The War of Troy" —I don't remember the author— and an ecyclopædia on acient Greece— along many other books of mithology. I of course, ruined myself the film "Troy". [​IMG]

But now I'm back on my way and re-reading the wonderful "The Divine Wind" by Robert Pineau, Rikihei Inoguchi and Tadashi Nakajima.

Finally, "Lost Illusions" by Honoré de Balzac. [​IMG]

3. Carl G. E. von Mannerheim

Carl G. E. von Mannerheim Ace

Reading:

Geoff Wawrow's book on the franco-prussian war

Absolutely American: Four years at west point (gotta get ready for my college :D )

The Myth of the Great War: by John Mosier

Cvm

4. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

Trying to start 'Rising 44' but keep buying books and getting distracted...

Got distracted into 'Soldier Sahibs'... not WW2 but my other love... India during the Sikh wars and the Indian Mutiny...

Its got a whole chunk a book dedicated to one of my hardest Victorian Heroes, Henry Hodson, so it just had to be bought... plus it only cost 6 yo-yos... :D

5. Mahross

Mahross Ace

Currently reading Micheal Howards Franco-prussian war. A classic. Also going to start Tolstoys War and Peace.

For WW2 still plouging through Alanbrooke's war diary.

6. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

War and Peace hurt me... I read it for GCSE...

Horrible thing... :mad: :mad: :mad:

7. Mahross

Mahross Ace

Well i couldn't argue for £1.50 ;) and obviously i have got your masters as well :D

8. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

Dont mention that bloody thing... [​IMG]

Nearly as boring as War and Peace :eek:

9. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Hey! Careful with what you say about "War & Peace"! [​IMG] It's one of my favourite books and one of the greatest novels ever written…

But you have the right not to like it, it's up to you! [​IMG]

Patrick, what is "The Myth of the Great War" by John Mosier about? Sounds interestig, just wondering what myth is he talking about… :confused:

10. Mahross

Mahross Ace

Yeah its been a good way to put me to sleep :D

11. FramerT

FramerT Ace

Bought "The Fall of Eben Emael" and "Tank Warfare-D day". "Panzer Aces II" was $50 used so I passed. [​IMG]

12. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

Enjoy Eben Emael Framert! Let me know what you think!

RED

13. Mahross

Mahross Ace

Just picked up a copy of Julian Jacksons 'Fall of France'. Looks like quite a good read.

14. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Just started Robert Gellately's "The Gestapo and the German Society: Enforcing Racial Policy 1933-1945". Awesome book. No more "the Germans didn't know" myths. Highly recommened to understand how nazi crimes were comitted and to understand what Nazi Germany really was.

Also "Neruda's Postman" by Antonio Skármeta, "Madame Bovary" by Gustave Flaubert and "Breakthroughs in Science" by Isaac Asimov. :cool:

About to start Len Deighton's "Winter" too. ;)

15. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

You guys will probably kick me for this but I am reading through the Sven Hassel series, just reading 'March Battalion' at the moment. It isn't bad, I picked up 4 of his books so I figured I may as well read them.

I am also reading Paul Adlemans 'The Decline of the Liberal Party 1910-1931' which is remarkably interesting.

16. Stevin

Stevin Ace

...<kick>...(sven :rolleyes: hassel....)

I am reading The Bloody Battle For Tilly by Ken Tout...A Rather perculiar start of a book. No introduction to the story (you are going to read) but straight into the graphic discription of the battle....a bit like watching the start of SPR....

Also reading a book on the 1st Polish Armoured Div.

[ 16. June 2004, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Stevin ]

17. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

still reading the first portion of Bodenplatte by Ron Pütz and John Manhro. Again thank you Stevin ! :D :D yes interesting verbage in Jg 1 whcih I am almost done with. some unseen pics of Fw 190A's I had not seen before. The p[ortrait shots although unique are quite small....

dizzy with excitement !! [​IMG]

18. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Yes...Yes...

but what excited me was the personalized scribble on the first page of the book...

I think the book is really well done by Hikoki, pictures look good, certainly! Also the vet pics and accounts are well done. Are you happy with the info on the Ju that was downed by those 268 Sqn guys? The 'you will read all about that' of John led me to believe there would be a grand rendering of that story, but I guess no more than 150 words were spent on it in total? With the Personal Combat Report as only source.

But still, I had sometimes diffulty understanding what they actually meant...text-wise...

Still a great book to have. Not the definitive story but certainly the book that has set the standard on Bodenplatte for years to come. Well done John and Ron...n'est pas?

19. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Stevin I think it will be the story about this ill fated mission. Yeah man the sig was tops from John.....mucho appreciated ! these two guys have put so many years of serious research into it that nothing will compare unless it is just brief expanded first person accts. Seemed the Ju materials were a bit limited but again I have only started this work....

E ♪

20. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Don't kick me too hard Stevin, I was reading Nietzsche, followed by J.S.Mill, followed by more Nietzsche, followed by a small amount of Bevor, followed by Nietzsche, Plato and Mill again, so I wanted something nice and inconcequential (not to mention something that wouldnt need my brain) so Sven Hassel immediatly satisfied that need ;)