Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What did the Chinese divisions with only "some German" training wear?

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by Garuda, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Garuda

Garuda New Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... onary_Army

"In 1934 General Hans von Seeckt, acting as advisor to President Chiang, proposed a "80 Division Plan" for reforming the entire Chinese army into 80 divisions of highly trained, well-equipped troops organised along German lines. The plan was never fully realised, as the vying warlords could not agree upon the reorganised division organization and the disbanding of the others. By July 1937 only 8 infantry divisions had completed reorganisation and training. These were the 3rd, 6th, 9th, 14th, 36th, 87th, 88th, and the Training Division.

Another 12 divisions equipped with Chinese arms on the reorganized model with German advisors had some training by the time the Second Sino-Japanese War started in July 1937. These Divisions were the 2nd, 4th, 10th, 11th, 25th, 27th, 57th, 67th, 80th, 83rd, 89th Infantry Divisions.
    "

Anyone who is familiar with the Sino-Japanese war knows that the 87th and 88th divisions of China wore Stahlhelm helmets and green/brown uniform but what did the other 12 divisions who only had "some German training" wear? Blue Field caps and blue uniform since that was the general uniform of the Kuomintang (which didn't receive German training)? Or did they also wear Stahlhelms and the green/brown uniform?I need know cause I'm trying to complete a homemade animation. :)

2. Takao

Takao Ace

3. Garuda

Garuda New Member

Thanks. I did a search using the words "300,000 Stahlhelms" and found some sites that stated this was the amount of Stahlhelms that China had bought in the mid 30s. But isn't that a bit too little?China had at least 7 divisions which completed German training which needed Stahlhelms and not forgetting China had a very large population so the divisions might have members passing the 300,000 amount.

4. lwd

lwd Ace

How big were Chinese divisions? The US had fairly large ones and even with attachments I don't think they got much over 20,000 and not everyone would have needed a helmet.

Looked it up:
    Chinese Nationalist Army > WW2 Weapons
    Says the German trained divisions were in the 9-10k range and the others about 5k. So 300k helmets would be good for 15+ divisions.