Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

what does this mean: "Theater Ribbon w/3 Bronze #33/#45"

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by dwdutch, Sep 26, 2009.

Tags:
  1. dwdutch

dwdutch recruit

The following info is on my dad's DD-214:

"Decorations and Citations: Theater Ribbon w/3 Bronze #33/#45 American Theater Ribbon"

I've figured out that the "American Theater Ribbon" is the same as the "American Campaign Medal".

I think the "3 bronze" means he participated in 3 campaigns in the American Theater but what does the "#33/#45" mean?

were campaigns numbered? if so, why are only 2 numbers (rather than 3) listed?

(I wish he were alive to explain these things to me)

Thanks, anyone.

2. Buten42

Buten42 Member

I think you missed something before "Theater Ribbon w/3 Bronze" I'm guessing it should be "EAME", for European, Africa, Midle East, or possibly "Asiatic Pacific" where he could receive three campaign stars. He would also receive the American Campaign Medal. They awarded bronze stars for the American Campaign medal for Anti-submarine, ground combat and air combat--but it would be pretty hard to have more than one. As far as the numbers #33 & #45, I believe they are the Army Regulation numbers indicating these awards. Does it say what unit your father was in?

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Actually the War Department, but the result is the same.

4. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Thanks JW--With that information I did a little searching and found that the War Deptartment gave a General Order number for each campaign in WWII. So GO33 would indicate General Order#33 for the particular campaign, WD45 indiates War Department 1945, the year when it was enacted--shorthand 33/45. Seems there should be three GO numbers listed for the three campaigns.
    I wasn't able to locate a listing for what numbers the War Dept. allocated to the 46 WWII campaigns. That would be a good research tool for translating the military shorthand if it could be found.

texson66 likes this.
  5. dwdutch

dwdutch recruit

wow! This info is awesome. My brother has the actual paperwork and, unfirtunately, he's on the other side of the country... I'll have to get it in my hands so I can see if EAME is missing (or if there's other info that may be useful). Thanks for this great info, guys.

6. Buten42

Buten42 Member

I located the link below showing the Generl Orders numbers for the various campaigns during WWII. Looks like your father was in Italy. #33 was the North Apennines Campaign. You might look at the thread ""Reguesting copies of military records" under "Service Records and Genealogical research" on this forum. That one thread is so packed with good references and links for information. Wish I had that information when I was doing this ten years ago. Hope this helps.
    General Orders No. 24, 1947