Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What German Ring is this?

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Ring, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Ring

Ring Member

Who can help me out?!
    A relative has obtained a German Ring i think it's from German SS
    It came from someone who fought on eastern german/russian front 1944/1945.
    Who carried this ring and to which department did it belong?

Greetz,

Ring

Attached Files:

2. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I am pretty sure it is not an official SS Ring. It does have a resemblence to the Anti-partisan ring but it is lacking detail. SS rings normally have some kind of runic symbols on them along with the bearer's name.

3. Ring

Ring Member

Thnx for the quick reply,
    I'm really really sure it's real! Sure not a FAKE....
    But never seen an exact copy of it on the net ever....

I noticed the resemblence with the Anti-partisan ring... but not a complete match... the name was removed i guess.

4. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Perhaps it was custom made for an SS officer but I'm pretty sure it is not SS commissioned. Good luck

5. Eddie D

Eddie D Member

im pretty sure that is the SS Totenkopf Officer ring

oh yeah, they are REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY expensive so if you were thinking of buying one, just warning you

6. Captin James

Captin James recruit

Does anyone know how to find out if they geniune?

Cheers James

7. Ring

Ring Member

Thnx for the replies,

I'm the owner of this ring so i don't have to buy it. I know it's not a fake because a relative fought in that war and he was the owner. However that person is still alive i don't dare asking how he has got it......
    @ Eddie D: How sure are you and is there proof (existing images of it or something else...) There should be information about this....

8. tikilal

tikilal Ace

Why dont you ask him how he got it? I used to be afraid of asking my grandfather questions about the war but after a while I found out he would prefer to talk to me about it than have me guess.

9. Ring

Ring Member

Perhaps you're right but... maybe i'm not ready for it.... afraid about what i'll find out....

10. tikilal

tikilal Ace

Go for it, try to be sensitive, remember that you really dont care about the death and killing but about the life experiences he had.

11. Eddie D

Eddie D Member

I am 110% sure. i know for a fact they were only given to the SS. im not sure if all of the soldiers got it or if it was just officers. It's called a Totenkopf ring. Totenkopf in german means Dead head or skull. ive always wanted to find one of them to buy, but they are so rare and expensive.

12. Eddie D

Eddie D Member

actually, its not the exact one that im thinking of, but ill help you out with some research. it deffinatly has something involved with the SS and totenkopf's though. im going to do some research now

13. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

You claim the ring has irrefutable provenanace from a source you hold in high esteem; with that in mind, it does not necesarily mean that the ring came from an SS officer or even a German soldier, you will not know until you ask the question from the person who originally aquired the item.

It may turn out that the ring came from a completely benign source such as a PX or Mail order catalog or was a custom purchased item. Or was traded for cigarettes from a German prisoner.

To me it does not appear to be a Himmler Totenkopf ring traditionally associated with the SS. Does that mean that it is not an interesting ring with an equally interesting story; of course not. The fact that someone thought highly enough of it to hold on to it for 60 odd years speaks of it's importance, even though it may not be what you hope.

Brad

Here are some helpful links:

Anatomy of a SS Honor Ring

this link has obviously been compromised as many such "wiki" have had happen

??1. Heinrich Himmler TOTENKOPF RING der SS

more:

Craig Gottlieb Militaria > German Militaria > Totenkopf Ring to Oakleaves Winner Diddo Diddens

14. Eddie D

Eddie D Member

yeah, id go with asking the real owner.

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I used to know things to look for which were tought to me by a Millionnaire/collector/friend of mine-but that was so long ago-and since I don't collect rings-or blades for that matter--I have forgotten what to look out for. One thing I do know is that ""SS Rings"" are one of the most faked items out there.

16. Ring

Ring Member

Thx for the respons guys,
    I did not yet ask the person i mentioned but i'm afraid he's the original owner. It's someone who stands very close to me and that makes it more difficult.
    I know for sure it is an original waffen ss totenkopf ring. But they are in several variety. From another forum i've got the tip it might be from Estonian waffen ss totenkopf ring. That brought me to this link:
    http://www.aboutww2militaria.com/ger_repro/ring10.jpg This is a reproduction but comes close...

It looks really familiar but the side of the ring is constructed open instead of the ring of me.

BTW... i'm gonna ask for more info about the ring and put it over here shortly. :eek:

17. hanleces

hanleces New Member

It' NOT the Totenkopfring der SS DER NSDAP, it's an imitation of someone of the members of the waffen-ss, who were not awarded by Himmler, OK