Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What have you been watching?

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Deep Web Diver, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Deep Web Diver

Deep Web Diver Member

Mahross's What is everyone reading? thread provides a great place for everyone to share their thoughts on what they have just read, are reading or are about to read. I decided to create a similar thread for discussing WWII and other films, documentaries and TV shows since so many of us do enjoy watching such things and most of us have either a DVD player or VCR.

So ... what have you been watching?

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

At the moment the "World at war" series from the beginning of 1970´s. It has great footage on battles as well as interviews with people who were there at the battle sites. Recommend it!

One interesting part is Speer´s interview on attacking Russia :" After Red Army failed to take Finland in Winter War Hitler was sure Russia would lose if he would attack and started the Barbarossa planning seriously!"....Well, it is Speer saying that anyways!

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I have the complete series on video, Kai - it's the best documentary ever made about WW2 and will probably remain so for one obvious reason ; most of the participants have passed away :(

I often re-watch the 'Whirlwind' programme just to hear again the reminiscences of Bill Reid VC.

4. Mahross

Mahross Ace

Been watching the 'Commandos' series on Channel 4 recently. There seems to be a lot of good stuff on brit tv recently.

5. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

"From here to eternity" and "Terminator III" this weekend... :rolleyes: :D

And of course, "The return of the King" TO-NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :cool:

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Nothing much worth noting except on the Outdoor Life Network I catch this cool show called: "X-Fire" which apparently it is an ongoing show that is filmed somewhere in England.

It's about 6 people who are office workers (who are dressed in bright orange clothing) and not much for physical or outdoor stuff who are teamed together to go on "missions" against a team of "Special Forces" who are dressed in (black clothing) and each tem has a series of three missions they go on.

Both sides are armed with paintball guns. I just discovered this program the Tues before Thanksgiving, and now i'm hooked.

The only other thing of note that I saw recently was the History of Samurai 2 hr Doc on the History Channel.

7. Deep Web Diver

Deep Web Diver Member

The most recent thing I have seen was HBO's When Trumpets Fade, a lackluster film which focuses on a company of the 28th Infantry Division during the Battle of the Huertgen Forest.

It is interesting to note that, Frank Whaley, who played Medic Chamberlain in When Trumpets Fade, also appears in A Midnight Clear and Swing Kids, an unusual number of World War II films for a relatively young actor.

[ 16. December 2003, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Crapgame ]

8. jpatterson

jpatterson Member

I thought "Angels In America" on HBO was very well done, mostly due to the acting........Al Pacino, Meryl Streep, Emma Thompson, Jeffrey Wright and others.

Later

9. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Martin,

can you say on which "World at War" film/DVD there´s footage on Battle of Bulge as the head lines are not giving it away at least on the DVD´s.. Closer to the Arnhem or Battle for Germany? ( Intend to buy that one next)

Thanx!

10. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I've got the 12-video full set and the Ardennes Offensive is seen in Volume 10, 'Pincers'.

Incidentally, this part was written by the award-winning documentary-maker Peter Batty, who had already produced a programme entitled 'Battle of the Bulge'. This can still be found on video and is reckoned by many historians ( Danny Parker, for one ) to be the best programme ever made about the battle. Because it was originally screened in 1969, it includes interviews with many key figures such as Manteuffel, Clark, Hasbrouck and Strong.

11. Deep Web Diver

Deep Web Diver Member

TBS aired A Few Good Men today, a well written, well cast and very well acted film.

[ 18. January 2004, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: Crapgame ]

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

The only thing I watched this weekend was some of the Carol Burnett Marathon. Tim Conway, Harvey Korman, Lyle Waggoner & Vicki Lawrence sure were the best.

Tim Conway as Mr.Wiggens (Pronounced: Mr. Huhviggens) was the best.

Anyone else here a fan of her show? If not? you really missed some great entertainment.

13. FramerT

FramerT Ace

Watched a few hours of Carol Burnett,too.Ahhh, don't make shows like that anymore.FramerT.

14. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Busy watching the latest re-run of the 60s BBC series The Great War. I last saw it during it's re-run in the mid-70s, but hope to afford the DVD set to put beside my video collection of The World At War....when I win the lottery!

REgards,
    Gordon

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Framer T, you have good taste and welcome to these forums.

Best regards--Carl.

PS: I sure do miss her Tarzan yells.

16. SignalCorp

SignalCorp Member

Just finished re-watching Stalingrad, damn fine film. Also 'Spitfire Ace' on C4 finished a couple of days ago, good series.

17. Deep Web Diver

Deep Web Diver Member

I caught Seven years in Tibet the other day. An interesting and unique film in that it must surely be the only film which features both WWII POW camp escapees and the Dalai Lama.

[ 07. March 2004, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Crapgame ]

18. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Bought and watched "The Thin Red Line" and "Saving Private Ryan" on DVD this weekend. Also a friend lent me "The Soldiers of Salamina" —a Spanish film about the Spanish Civil War—, quite good too.

Last weekend I bought "Patton" —I finally managed to watch it!— , "We were soldiers" and "The 4 feathers" —this last one not that good.

19. Deep Web Diver

Deep Web Diver Member

I caught Stalag 17 on AMC recently.

Hoffy: "What's the matter with you, Security? You were always so calm. Especially when you let Manfredi and Johnson go out there."

20. FramerT

FramerT Ace

"Longest Day" was on a couple nights last week. Really "corny" compared to SPR. [​IMG]