Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What have you been watching?

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Deep Web Diver, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Phantom of the Ruhr

Phantom of the Ruhr Member

World At War:
    Whirlwind
    Tough old Gut
    It's a lovely Day Tomorrow

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Still watchin Duke. Last night ended with The Comancheros w/ Duke, Stuart Whitman, Lee Marvin, Nehemiah Persoff (as the head baddie and leader of the Comancheros), Pat Wayne (one of Dukes Sons) Bruce Cabot as the Texas Ranger Captain, Jack Elam, Guinn "Big Boy" Williams (as a Gun-runner) Michael Ansara as one of the Comanchero baddies.

After that I cought only part of: The War Wagon w/ Duke, Kirk DOuglas, Bruce Cabot, Keenan Wynn & Robert Walker Jr.

As I got home tonight, they were playing: The Horse Soldiers w/ Duke, William Holden, Constance Towers, Hoot Gibson, Ken Curtis, Denver Pyle, Strother Martin, and Althea Gibson. After this I THINK is: The Wings of Eagles w/ Duke, Kenneth Tobey and I forget whom else. This is the story of famed Aviator: Frank "Spig" Wead--who also co-wrote the movie.

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Eh hem, more Duke movies to report having been watched: The Horse Soldiers and now McLintock-ahhh, both are great movies.

4. Keystone Two-Eight

Keystone Two-Eight Member

I found this nifty series from the BBC called "War of the Century; When Hitler fought Stalin". 2 episodes in, it's really quite good.

5. Richard

Richard Expert

Just a shame 1943 is hardly mention and if you spot Kursk good luck, apart from that yes it was a good four part series.

6. ArmyBoy79

ArmyBoy79 Member

I've found a series called "Nazi Hunters." It's 13 episodes that deal with what all it took to bring Nazi war criminals to justice.

7. Phantom of the Ruhr

Phantom of the Ruhr Member

World at War:
    -Pacific
    -The Bomb
    -Reckoning
    -Remember

8. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

Das Boot

9. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I am currently listening to the Battle Hymn of The Republic while watching the celebration of our Nations birth. Great fireworks, great music and living in the Greatest country on Earth. Yeah I'm a Proud American!

10. ddaly5

ddaly5 Member

Watched a lot of great tv today actually, for the first time in awhile. "The Revolution" was on all day and I just watched the last of "WW2 in HD". Both were great and moving, especially the WW2HD. And I will have to back up Biak who posted above, I'm proud to be an American to!!!

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Watching now-The Shootist, but this morning as AMC was repeating The War Wagon or either Cahill? I switched to CM and got to see two VERY rarly shown treats which were about teh Revolutionary War. 1) The Howard sof Virginia w/ Cary Grant. 2) and even rare Gem called: The Scarlet Coat w/ Cornel Wilde, George Sanders, John McIntire and John Dehner. This movie was probably one of the best roles that Cornel Wilde had and is easily my favorite even over The Naked Prey-which had Ken Gampu chasing him all over a part of Africa but just missing him at the end of the pic. Anyway, The Scarlet Coat was about Wilde as an American Army Major who was doing some "Secret Service: duty for General Washington and General Howe and General Arnold.

Because of that assignement (in real life history) that was how the US Secret Service got its original start. Anyway, this was the story of how Arnold was found out as a traitor trying to basically "give up" West Point and such to the Brits. Had he succeeded, the war might have ended then-instead of later.

12. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

C.Evans likes this.
  13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I needed a Sir John Mills fix, and was about to dig out my copy of Dunkirk and The Colditz Story ;-)) If I can get the puter to work?, I aim to watch it before going to bed tonight.

14. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

fingers crossed! hope you manage to watch it carl, ray..

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Ray, nope, the old fart of a computer froze-Grrrr. Ill try to watch it in parts when I get to the library and on their junky 15 minute timed computers.

Oh and, just bought the McLintock DvD today so ill be watching that movie sometime this week ;-))

16. Richard

Richard Expert

Matrix...Good film, just a shame the follow up was in two parts, you could cut away all the dead wood from Reloaded & Revolutions resulting in a decent follow up. Bloody shame that never happen.

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Earlier this week, I finally got around to watching my DvD copy of The Wolfman which has Lon Chaney in it. Tell you what? the person who did the makeup-is as Ray Harryhausen is to Special Effects---pretty darn good. Gimme teh old classics anytime anyday over this new garbage being churned out.

18. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

The real dads army.. The Auxiliary Unit.....

19. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Been a good week for WW2 films on British tv. Started off with The Silent Enemy, the story of RN diver Lt-Commander "Buster" Crabb's exploits in Gibraltar in 1941/2; then The Gift Horse, Trevor Howard starring as an incompetent ship's captain who becomes the hero of the St Nazaire raid. Howard Hawks' classic Air Force rounded off the treat, which was all the more enjoyable since I had never seen any of them before.

20. Falcon Jun

Falcon Jun Ace

Finally got to watch Defiance. It's more of a drama than action yet I was pleasantly surprised with the strong characters and well knit plot.