Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What have you been watching?

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Deep Web Diver, Dec 15, 2003.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Star Wars and, Return of the Jedi, both good little flicks ;-))

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Hill 60. The movie on the WW1 tunnels battles... I thought it was pretty good. 8,5/10.

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Kai, is this movie in English? SOunds like one to watch .-))

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

C.Evans likes this.
  5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Ah, Danke Kai, many Dankes. Ill check and see if Netflix has it in and if not? ill tell them about it. They have ways of getting foreign made movies yo play on Ami DvD players ;-))

6. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I liked it. Not bad for an indie movie with a small budget. But you're right Kai, it was missing something.

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Perhaps it was missing: Mel Gibson? Paul Hogan? or Russell Crowe? ;-))

8. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Saw Guadalcanal Diary for the first time. What a good movie.

9. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Great movie. I got it on DvD soon as I heard it had been released. Its a pretty good early outing for stars like: Anthony Quinn and Richard Jaeckel. I found oen still from this movie for sale, buy way over priced. It was a good shot with Anthony Quinn in it.

11. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

My favourite French cop show (Spiral) started season three on the BBC last night.
    Ya wee beauty!:cool:

12. Phantom of the Ruhr

Phantom of the Ruhr Member

Been on a Civil War kick as of late. So far I've watched:

April 1865
    Secret Missions of the Civil War
    Sherman's March
    The Lost Battle of the Civil War: Mine Creek
    And Battlefield Detectives: Shiloh, Antietam and Gettysburg (in that order)
    Glory

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Since I have been in jail, ive had time to watch quite a few great gems including:

Treasure of the Sierra Madre,
    Tarzan the Ape Man-no not that piece of garbage made about 20 or so years ago-the one and ONLY-Johnny Weissmuller version.
    The Last Starfighter.
    Titanic. (1953) version with Richard Basehart.
    True Grit--twice this past week.
    El Dorado.
    Rio Bravo.
    Halls of Montezuma, and a few others.

14. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I watched John Rabe the other night. Got it on Netflix. Not a bad movie, and the story followed historical events pretty good.

15. Spitfire_XIV

Spitfire_XIV Member

I've been watching "Band of Brothers" and "The Pacific", as well as documentaries on D-Day, Stalingrad, Tiger tanks and the Waffen-SS lately as well.

16. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Watched two great documentaries on Stalingrad last night. They be:

1) Stalingrad: Die Untergang. Has many veterans interviewed including a few RKTs, Russikies and Civilians too. Excellent Doc.
    2) Stalingrad: Der Holle Entkommen. Same as above but not related with the above. Also an excellent Doc.

17. scrounger

scrounger Member

I recently watched the 1993 civil war movie Gettysburg , I found a copy in a second hand store for 2.99 so I bought it . It was money well spent, The movie was partially shot on location at Gettysburg Battlefield Park. Thousands of Civil War reenactors both Confederate and Union volunteered to be in the Movie. They came in uniform and even brought their own field artillery. The movie is a bit long (over 4 hrs) but it is certainly worth the time ...

18. belasar

belasar Court Jester

PBS has been showing Ken Burns 'The Civil War', all week and I have been watching it, even though I have it on DVD:)

19. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Rambo dos.

20. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Last night:

Yellow-neck. Its a Civil War Western that takes place in the Everglades in Florida and is about a misfit group (all 5 of them) of Confederate Soldiers who decide to quit the war and try to make their way to Cuba. Well, only one manages to survive. One is shot with an arrow by a Seminole Indian of all things, wounded badly and later dies. Another met his maker via Rattlesnake bites, another dies by Alligator, the fourth (the sergeant) meets his end in quicksand. This movie had it had actual money spent on its making? as well as talented actors-might have sucked in the least.

Then I saw a good Classic, again taking place during the Civil War and is more Eastern in A of O--called: Guns of the Deep South. I liked this movie the first time I saw it and still like it. Its about a Confederate Battery caught behind Yankee lines, and are trying to make their way to safe ground all the while evading Yank Cavalry partols and such. They finally make their way to a flattop mountain where they place their guns and start KOing Yank trains. The leader of the CSA unit is friend s with the Yankee who comes to destroy them. Only, they dont know they are facing each other till the very end. This movie did have some talent in it by the name of Guy Madison as the Yank Major, and Barton MacLane as the Reb Arty Sergeant, and a few other "recognizable faces" in it.

And finally, I ended the night with THE BEST Film Noir movie ever made. This one was made in 1947, and starred: Richard Basehart as a thug, Whit Bissell as an Elsctronics dealer (Fence), Jack Webb and Scott Brady as L.A. Police Detective Sergeants who are trying to track down and nab--the Basehart character. This is the movie that inspired Jack Webb to develop a TV series that you all will know and many will probably love--called: Dragnet. Da da da dahhhhhh, da da da daaaahh..dunt.