Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What have you been watching?

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Deep Web Diver, Dec 15, 2003.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

This eve, Yellow-Jack-which stars Robert Montgomery. This is a true story that takes place I think during the Spanish-American War-anyway, the Army needs test subjects to contract tropical diseases and have their Doctors trying to conger up meds to cure them. Unfortunately, most of the test subjects die-before a cure is found. The movie is based on actual events. Im not usually into that kind of movie but, it was very well made.

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

3. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

FYI, the naked lady that got scooped up by the sub at the beginning of "1941" was the same naked lady that got ate in the opening scene of the original "Jaws" in 1976. I like trivia.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

The original Star Wars Trilogy, not the 2nd crapola trilogy that George Lucas didnt have his heart into making. There WAS supposed to be a third trilogy-which took place after the first trilogy and involved Hans and Leias kids.

Edited to place the CORRECT Directors name up here.

5. belasar

belasar Court Jester

The Prequal Trilogy was perfect in every reguard except it lacked the heart of the earlier films. Money and technolgy do not always equal quality sadly.

Just finished up watching the 1st season of JAG on DVD. Next season Cathrine Bell:)

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Bel/ thats about how I felt about it. I watched the first of the 2nd trilogy and though it was stupid-mainly due to that idiotic jar jar brinks character.

Todays movies (listened to while researching some of my imperial Mil stuff)

High Noon w/ Gary Cooper and Lloyd Bridges & The Bridge At Remagen w/ George Segal, Bradford Dillmann, Ben Gazzara, Robert Vaughn, Peter Van Eyck and Hans-Christian Blech. Both are great classics.

7. RabidAlien

RabidAlien Ace

I have a theory, though, that with as popular all the original Star Wars merchandise has become (and collectible/expensive), everyone was rushing out to collect the "new series" as soon as they hit the shelves...I have friends who waited in line at Toys R Us for a crack at the action figures. However, since everyone's hoping to get the one toy that'll be worth thousands of $$$ in 20 years, my theory is that 20 years from now everyone will have all the same toys, so nothing will be worth anything....except JarJar. Since his character was universally reviled by everyone, NOBODY was buying JarJar action figures. So, 20 years from now, every JarJar figure/merchandising-whatever will be in a landfill somewhere, except for the one action figure that some skinny little Coke-bottle-glasses kid's mom bought him for his birthday, on accident. LOL

...that being said....I hated the prequil trilogy for pretty much the same reasons that Belasar and CE did.

8. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I didn't care for the prequel trilogy for one reason and one reason only - THEY SUCKED!

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

If interested? I have about 15 Star Wars 12 inch figures I would like to get rid of. Two of these are Sandpeople, one has the Gaffi Stick the other and rarer of the two has a laser weapon. These were sold exclusively at FAO Schwartz in New York City. I also have one of those dou packs that they made only 500 each of. Mine has Luke Skywalker in his Hoth clothing and has his "ride" the Taun-Taun in it. These allegedly sell for mega bucks. The rest of what I have are the kind you could pick uo at Toy Specialty stores like Toys R Us.

I also have two mint-still in boxes (as all of these are) Animated Star Wars Banks that work perfectly. One is Darth Vader-when you place a coin in the slot he comes alive-hear his breathing and says something, then he turnes on his light sabre, moves and such. The other has both R2D2 & C3PO. They move and say stuff as well.

If interested? I need $700 for the lot and will throw in free, several 12 in GI Joes and a few non GI Joes (German Soldier figures-I forget what Company made these?)

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Exactamundo my next door soon to retire neighbor ;-))

11. RabidAlien

RabidAlien Ace

If I had the extra scratch, I might be tempted to take you up on the offer! Sorry, no spare room in the budget at this time....kiddos tend to eat up any spare change one might have layin around, ya know.

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Heh heh, I originally collected these for my Nephews but, they grew up too fast, so I got stuck with all of them. Ive given away about 10 figures over the years and also a DAK Kettenrad.

13. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Just finished the BBC War of the Century. Could have used more detail on the actual battles, but an excellent doc none the less in my opinion.

14. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Watching 'As Far as My Feet Will Take Me'. German movie about a POW that escapes Soviet Gulag in Siberia and makes it back to his family in Germany. Next up, 'The One That Got Away'.

15. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I just finished watching "The Dirty Dozen." Great movie, a classic.

16. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I never tire of that movie. I could watch it a couple times a week and never tire of it. Im also always noticing something new every time ;-))

18. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I think it was Thurs or Fri? on TCM they played three movies that were great in their own right. The One That Got Away was the third played. Its also on DvD if you want to buy a copy?

The other two played: The Wooden Horse w/ Leo Genn. Pretty good movie set in Stalag Luft III. Then they played a fave of mine with Sir Mills in it--The Colditz Story.

19. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I saw that too awhile back. He went through a lot to go home. Looks like he got back home about the time that most German POWs were released though, but he had no way of knowing that.

Last night I watched "Kelly's Heroes" again. Never get tired of that one either.

20. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I watched "Dr. Strangelove" again last night for the umpteenth or so time. That was one terrific movie. Never grow tired of that one either, especially the part when Slim Pickens rides the bomb in rodeo style. I watched that scene several times.