Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What have you learned about WW2 recently?

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by A-58, Oct 8, 2015.

1. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

You should start a separate thread. I forecast a deeper conversation brewing and we may see some interesting takes. Though Churchill was on to something. :) the trials had many undertones that can't be ignored.

A-58 likes this.
  2. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I agree on the separate thread suggestion. Although this information I have is a bit ahead of the trial phase, I thought that it was neat. Once I read that FDR, Churchill and Uncle Joe were sitting around, having drinks and gloating over the coming downfall of Hitler, et all in Yalta. Stalin made the statement that in the post-war period, he'd like to shoot all the German officers, from the lowest "loitnant" (lieutenant, lefftenant, whatever) all the way up to the highest feldmarshall. Churchill supposedly agreed, probably thinking Stalin was joking. FDR didn't think that it was funny at all and went bazeek, claiming that shooting the entire German officer corps would be a serious mistake and even contemplating it was vile enough. Churchill, then offered a compromise by counter-offering that they should shoot all but 1,000 officers instead of the whole crew since they'd be needing some competent help in the post-was running of things. FDR was still fuming, so Stalin poured another round of drinks and withdrew his suggestion, claiming it was a big joke. Not sure if it really went down like this, but this is the gist of what I read.

3. Takao

Takao Ace

You have FDR's and Churchill's roles reversed...Churchill is the one that got mad, and FDR made the shoot 49,000 comment.

4. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Now that you mention it, that does make it a bit more familiar. It's been umpteen years or so since I read it. Things are getting a bit fuzzy these days.

5. Takao

Takao Ace

The subject came up on AHF a few days ago.

6. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude