Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What if Germans attacked through Maginot?

Discussion in 'What If - European Theater - Western Front & Atlan' started by Hawkerace, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carl W Schwamberger

Carl W Schwamberger Ace

If you were a German commander of Army Group C, ordered to make a stratigic breakthrough of the fortified zone, and given the mechanized corps and air support, I wonder where the best area to attack would be?

There are two considerations I see. One is obviously that of terrain and the fortificatons in the various areas. Where would be the most favorable or esaiest? The other is where the attack will hurt the French the worst. Since you cant count on reaching Paris or encircling entire army groups, tho those are admirable goals, that leaves the industrial cities just behind the frontier. What breakthrough location would allow the capture of the largest or most critical ammount of coal mines, steel foundrys, and factorys?

Za Rodinu likes this.
  2. Falcon Jun

Falcon Jun Ace

Good question, Carl!
    I'd give you a rep point but the system says I have to spread it around a little more.

3. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

Dien Bein Phu much more resembles a medival seige or WW 1 "Lost battalion" battle where the French are surrounded in a fortified position (actually, two seperate ones) defending their sole means of supply the airfields within their perimeter. The Vietnamese held all the high ground and basically proceeded to use centuries old seige tactics to reduce the French "castle."
    That is, they brought in massive amounts of artillery to shell the French virtually continiously. They then built saps (trenches) up to the outlying positions and assaulted and overran them. As the positions fell, the perimeter shrank and the airfields became untenable.
    Eventually the French lost the position.

Had this battle taken place in winter it could have been Veiliki Luyki, 6th Army at Stalingrad, Cholm, or any one of several other German WW 2 pocket battles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.