Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What if the Nationalists and the Communists Didn't Join Forces?

Discussion in 'What If - Pacific and CBI' started by poprox101, Nov 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poprox101

poprox101 Member

(Go easy; this is my first post)

After reading a book on the Chinese response to the Pacific War, a question kept nagging me: What if the Chinese Nationalists and Communists didn't join forces against Japan?

Looking at this, it sounds like the Nationalist Party and Chiang Kai-shek didn't really try to strike back at Japan, and that the whole regime was just corrupt. The only counter-offensive I saw with the Chinese in the whole war was against Burma (Am I right?), which was commanded by an American general, but the whole operation was slow, and by that time, British paratroopers were liberating behing enemy lines. The Communists, meanwhile, were having a tremendous effect on Manchuria and the Chinese morale with their guerilla tactics.

I think that if they hadn't of joined forces, the Nationalists would have had increased tension with the Communists, maybe even to the point where the Communists began small, guerilla tactics on them as well as Japan. Civil war sounds a bit too extreme, because it sounds like if one falls, they both fall.

I can't wait to hear your response.:D

2. von Rundstedt

von Rundstedt Dishonorably Discharged

Hey welcome to the forum mate.

The worse case situation, Nationalist China and Japan becoming allies fighting Chinese Communists, this could at worse bring the Soviet Union to lend a helping hand to the Chinese Communists, where this leaves the Americans i just do not know.

3. Falcon Jun

Falcon Jun Ace

There might be a flaw in the premise of this what-if. The Nationalists and the Communists weren't exactly allies. The two sides were at each other's throats at the same time they fought the Japanese.

4. von Rundstedt

von Rundstedt Dishonorably Discharged

Yes that was true but in the end they did however form an alliance and they fought the Japanese and then once the Japanese were defeated they recommenced their civil war. Would be interesting to have the Nationalist being drawn into an alliance with the Japanese against the Communist forces. America would be brought into having to support the Communist fighting the Nationalists thus turning on a former alliy.

5. Falcon Jun

Falcon Jun Ace

I heartfully agree that Nationalist China allied with Japan would be quite an interesting twist. Unfortunately, it's beyond me my knowledge to speculate how such an event could materialize. The ramifications are so massive that I could risk saying that this opens the possibility of Japan being able to fight the US to a standstill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.