Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What Is Fort Knox Used For?

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Poppy, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

GP brought up Brad Meltzers show. Saw a little about Ft Knox. Every local they spoke with said they "knew" there is no gold within. Wondering why it is so heavily guarded....Anyone with some info? ...And are we -Canada/US- on the Gold Standard? ...Isn't our money supposed to represent a portion of gold? If not, what does a 20 dollar bill really mean if not gold?...And couldn't we create our own form of currency? All everyone needs to do is just agree to use it...Like Canadian Tire Money?

2. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

America has been of totally off the "gold standard" since the Nixon years, we have been a "fiat" currency ever since. The dollar's value is tied to the "trust and respect" of America to pay for its dollars in exchange. Ft. Knox still holds tons of gold bullion, even though it isn't the basis of our currency, it is an anchor that is sort of used or "referred to" in international trade if the "paper" is not accepted. The gold bullion deposit in New York city hold much more than Ft. Knox, and is generally used in international transactions.

Those Kentucky locals are full of it in this case, just a few years back a couple of Congressmen/women challenged the Treasury to "display the storage", and it was there. Covered with cobwebs, and stuff but there. As an even funnier aside, in one storage vault that was "cleaned out" from top to bottom to assure the people from the Congress that nothing was "faked", there was a "Kilroy was here" sign on the back wall put up by one of the workers. This was way pre-WW2 when the vaults were constructed, so that symbol has been around as a joke for a great deal of time.

It has been a while, but really don't get to conspiracy minded here "Poppy".

Goto:

http://www.numismaticnews.net/article/gold_all_there_when_ft_knox_opened_doors

3. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

No conspiracy....The wife keeps her wardrobe there....

4. urqh

Poppy there are a number of none monetary currency projects thru world...UK has a few...based on giving service and goods in return for errrr.....service and goods....seems like a small idea getting bigger....tax man is watching it here closely....I have eggs...lots of em....you have canadian whiskey....Fair swap...the wife says she will clean your chimney for a litre bottle if that helps... Seriously though...lots of folk doing it here..via net too.

I have a good one too...I send you eggs..you send me money...I take money and redistribute it around various drinking wellls...This eventually helps water table...So its ethical...none profit making....moral fit with my socialst ideology...we could cut out the eggs if you wish and I'll donate your money on your behalf...That goes for anyone by the way...I'll improve British water table if enough cash is traded for your ethical dreams....I take cheques too.

5. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

I bet everybody here (besides Canadians) are wondering what on God's earth is Canadian tire money...

6. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Imelda Marcos' shoes....

Jimmy Carter's Liver pills.....

7. urqh

The British royal family's holiday time share.

The golden fleece so my best ewe tells me...

Texas insane institution.

a58'S Baseball card collection.

Emergency spam storage area.

WW2 Forum server

Belasars pointy boat thing.

Brads tall stories.

Moon landing film stage.

Shergar and Lord Lucan.

Area 51 and a half.

Superman in glass box....in case of emergencies.

Donuts

8. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

I could send some prairie oysters and Canadian tire money....We will become rich....I tried using buttons, but they just laughed...sniff Oh, Just watched a show that was spouting Ft Knox stuff -George Patton brought that show up in another thread-./Forgive my ignorance. Don't know what they got in there-Ft Knox... That's why I asked. Hope asking stupid questions isn't bad here.... Good to know the gold is safe....Thanks "Burndirt1", you usually have the correct answers. Cheers.

9. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

And don't forget, the great movie classic "Stripes" was filmed there too. Great flick.

"Boom chagalagalaga boom chagalagalaga boom"

And lots of "ARMY TRAINING" sir! It still is the home of the US Armored Forces as well.

Terry D likes this.
  10. urqh

Hope asking stupid questions isn't bad here....

Tea leaves at the ready...ball polished...Diviner wobbling...tarot cards shuffled....go on ...anything you like...ready this end...

11. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I have it on high authority that Ft. Knox is used for a depository of "Smoke & Mirrors". (It was revealed to me in a Dream)
    Extraterrestrials (formerly simply called Aliens until that whole Southern border thing) are billeted there, along with a fleet of Anti-Gravity Starships.
    A Zoo of supposedly extinct Dinosaurs for the viewing pleasure of high ranking Government honcho's is on Level Nine.
    The prototype Die Glocke has been upgraded and only the current POTUS gets to go for a ride.
    As for all the Gold; the last few grams are in a display case since the entire Worlds Gold supply was paid out as ransom years ago to avert total domination of the Human population by Charlton Heston & Zira.

what IS Canadian ''tire' money eh'.

12. formerjughead

IT always gets back to Mr. Hilter

13. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Who? Just kidding Brad, I've got to writing faster than I should many times in the past and swapped the "L" and "T" around as well.

14. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I think he's going dyslexic on us.

15. formerjughead

It not lexdysia you and Clint clearly have forgotten who you are dealing with:
    Mr Hilter - Monty python - YouTube

A-58 likes this.
  16. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I had completely forgotten that sketch, thanks for the reminder Brad my man. See, I have let my fingers fly sometimes and transposed a couple of letters and didn't catch the goof, and have been know to be too vain use spell check most of the time.

17. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Got me on that one too. I threw a salute because the "likes" are sooooooooooooooooooo facebook....

No can do likes.

Ok, I want to know what Canadian tire money is too.

18. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

19. STURMTRUPPEN

STURMTRUPPEN Member

to this day im still stumped as to what fort knoxs actual use is
    it could be area 51's backup storage area or it could be where the us is keeping their nuclear weapons that they dont want the worlds media finding out about in any way

20. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Forum posters really should read this PDF from the Fed., it explains where most of the world's gold is held, and how much of it America has in it's personal control and where it is located. We hold an astonishing amount of the know mined gold and purified gold bullion ever extracted from the earth. Start at page 15-16 to really get a grip, America owns and controls about 27% of the world's monetary gold, that is out of One Billion Troy ounces we (America) own 27%. That is a LOT of gold bullion. This of course has nothing to do with gold held for the jewelry trade, which is less pure than bullion monetary grade gold.

Of course this PDF is five years old, so make allowances for that as well. When this was put together the market value of gold was at $900.

Goto:

http://www.newyorkfed.org/education/addpub/goldvault.pdf