Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What is the meaining of (T) in the WWII Navy Rating Motor Machinist's Mate (T)?

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by David Wyatt, Jun 21, 2019.

1. David Wyatt

David Wyatt New Member

Greetings. I am helping a friend research information regarding the WWII service career of his father. As a former Navy Machinist's Mate 3rd Class (MM3) and Lieutenant, I have a pretty good handle on most of the information, but this (presumed) specialty designator is eluding me.

His father was discharged in 1946 as a Motor Machinist's Mate First Class (T) [MoMM1c(T)] and I have been able to help my friend learn somewhat what he did, working on Diesel engines [he attended Advanced Naval Training School (Diesel)] and Nordberg School [in Milwaukee]).

But while I can find innumerable examples of MoMM1c(T), MoMM2c(T) etc. referenced, I have been unable to find anything that explains what (T) means.

I did find that MoMM rating does have specialties, but none seem to relate to the (T): https://www.cem.va.gov/CEM/docs/abbreviations/Ranks_Navy.pdf among others references MOMMSR MOTOR MACHINIST'S MATE (SHIP REPAIR), MOMMSRD MOTOR MACHINIST'S MATE (SHIP REPAIR-DIESEL), MOMMSRG MOTOR MACHINIST'S MATE (SHIP REPAIR-GASOLINE).

Thanks in advance, Dave.

2. Takao

Takao Ace

T is for Temporary. He had met the qualifications, but official approval had not come through yet.

3. David Wyatt

David Wyatt New Member

Takao, thanks! I would never have guessed that. So that would refer to his selection to Petty Officer 1st Class, correct?

4. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

It's similar to "brevet". And when I was on active duty you could simulate that. When the rating tests were done the ones who passed were divided into four categories. The ones with the most points were promoted immediately. The other three were "frocked", meaning they could wear the rank but they weren't getting paid at that level yet.

5. David Wyatt

David Wyatt New Member

Exactly what I was thinking. In the Navy we called it "Frocked", which I'm sure is an old sailing navy term relating to a uniform frock. Thanks all.

6. Takao

Takao Ace

Correct.

Sometimes, it took months for official word to come down, and sometimes the promotion was immediate.