Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What is your absolute favorite scene in a war movie?

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by C.Evans, Jun 3, 2003.

1. ghost_of_war

ghost_of_war Member

That was Lt. Spiers before being promoted to Capt. ---
    But, yes, a great scene...

2. 1911Colt

1911Colt Member

Hard to choose a #1 overall, but the opening to The Bridge at Remagen has always stuck with me since the first i seen it over 30 years ago & has been a lifelong fave:

YouTube - The Bridge at Remagen opening

3. Slavic Marksman

Slavic Marksman Member

For me its gotta be Vassili's 5 kills in the beginning of enemy at the gates.

4. STURMTRUPPEN

STURMTRUPPEN Member

platoon when charlie sheen's character goes ape and kills the vietcong who ambushed the foxholes
    saving private ryan the final battle scene in romelle
    enemy at the gates the russian troops being strafed by german aircraft
    we were soldiers when mel gibsons charcter and his men kill ambushing vietcong in a night attack

5. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

Another one of my favorites is the scene from Band of Brothers, Part 7, where Lipton is promoted to Lieutenant in the church at the near end.

The scene that will live forever: from Platoon, where Sgt. Elias (Willem Dafoe) runs out of the forest, chased by the VC, having been shot several times, he reaches up towards the helicopter, and falls forward dead. Interesting thing is, during that shot, the squibs did not go off on his chest, but Oliver Stone liked the shot so much he had it put in the film, and it ended up being one of the most famous shots in all film history.

6. Pvt. Pyle

Pvt. Pyle Dishonorably Discharged

best scene (or moment) when the 20 mm owns the guys of the 101 taking a tank

7. krieg

krieg Ace

you may like to put the name of the film there at sometime....... :eek:tto_ironfist:
    krieg

8. Mortman2004

Mortman2004 Dishonorably Discharged

I loved the speech in "We Were Soldiers once" that mel gibson (HAL MOORE) gives to his soldiers before they deploy to vietnam how they were basicly all brothers.. pretty much sums up my feelings toards the men ive led and served under and with for the most part

9. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

The very end of "Assembly" (Ji jie hao) Ji jie hao (2007)
    but I'll not be putting spoilers in here.

10. von Rundstedt

von Rundstedt Dishonorably Discharged

The scene where the German tank commander is convinced to use his Tiger to blow up the bank doors to steal that gold and that Kelly bought that Tiger, that is capitalism for you.

v.R

11. War Hawk Sniper

War Hawk Sniper Member

I have alot of favorite scenes:
    BoB: episode 5: the turkey shoot
    SPR: Jackson when he snipes that other sniper, all of dday, and when uppum or something shoots that fanatic point blank
    A bridge too far: first attack at arnhem, when gen. Horrocks addresses XXX Corps, and the flamethrower scene, and when they build the bailey bridge
    DDay: all of it

12. Halldin

Halldin Member

I have a lot of favorite scenes but a new favorite is the last battle of the movie Indigènes. I could feel the soldiers' panic escalate and it almost made me cry when you see the corporal's hopeless face after the battle and the colonel just drives past him and the French soldiers gets the credit for the battle.

13. Lippert

Lippert Member

Mine's when the P-51s show up toward the end of Empire of the Sun

14. Lias_Co_Pilot

Lias_Co_Pilot Member

Flight of the Intruder has some really great scenes in it:

* After a barfight starts, and is in full swing, Boxman tells Jake:"Let's go Jake, this place is a drag."
    * Several A-6's are circling a downed Intruder. An A-6 flown by the Assistant CAG starts to dive. Another pilot warns him that "there's a gun down there." He replies:"How else we gonna find it?"
    * After the CAG tells a rookie flyer that he's sixth generation mafia, he asks the rookie who he is. The rookie answers with "You're sixth generation mafia sir." The CAG flies into a rage and roars:"Wrong, you rodent. I was built with this ship. I'm a weapons system and there was a cost overrun. Now get outta my face. Dismissed!!!"

15. Lippert

Lippert Member

Coonts did a great job portraying Naval Aviators in that book - particularly the attack pilot spectrum. The movie, in rare form, actually does the book a fair amount of justice.

16. texson66

texson66 Ace

I would like to turn this around a little. I remember any movie based on the actors.. So some of my favorite war movies..

Kirk Douglas in

Spartacus

Paths of Glory

In Harm's Way

Seven Days in May

17. 4th wilts

4th wilts Member

i like saving private rian,when tommy hanks reckons monty is overrated.that bit is ace.does anyone know who wrote this.4th wilts.

18. Lias_Co_Pilot

Lias_Co_Pilot Member

Mrs. Henderson Presents:

There is a performance going on in the theater while the Luftwaffe is bombing London. You can see the nervousness on the faces of the performers, then a bomb lands nearby. The theater shakes and most of the performers duck and cover. A moment later, when the dust settles, one of the performers stands, resumes her position and raises her hand in British f u bird position. For a few seconds there is shock, then the performer gets a standing ovation while she fights back tears.

19. Kruska

Kruska Member

Presently it would be in the movie Der Untergang,

Hitler:
    “when this here is over – we need to get back the oilfields”

Regards
    Kruska

20. novaa

novaa recruit

cross of iron it was my first time hearing mg42 on full chat.:)