Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What is your familial country of origin?

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Hufflepuff, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

What countries were your ancestors from?

Mine were Irish, German, and Austrian, with a small amount of Dutch and Italian.

blutoubtemium likes this.
  2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'm a mutt.

England, Ireland, Scotland, one of the German States, France, American Indian.

3. Lias_Co_Pilot

Lias_Co_Pilot Member

My father's family is from Sicily. My mother's family is from Moravia-a province of what is now the Czech Republic.

4. bigfun

bigfun Ace

My Father was born in the Netherlands. My Mothers Grandparents, on both sides were born there as well. So I'm Dutch!

5. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

My mom's side of the family is Cajun French. They got run out of Acadia (Nova Scotia) by the Brits for not wanting to pledge allegience to the Crown. Before that, they got run out of France for being Baptist.

My dad's side of the family is mostly Scots-Irish and Hessian. They came over here to fight the Patriots in the Revolutionary War and decided to stay.

6. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Originally Huguenots from Flanders, latterly Scots and Irish.

7. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Fathers family, Irish, down the bottom left hand corner.....we were pirates apparantly...cant see that...no I can, its easy when you take your eye patch off.

Mothers were Scottosh...a highland clan from the lowlands....a pretty mixed up bunch...chose wrong side as usual...ended up forming a seperated clan in India where the Raj figures highly in family history. The rest decided to stay and watch their Scottish town become English.

Me....I'm a mongrel...

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

100% Dutch and Flemish .

9. urqh

There's a commanality running thru here....Did everyones family fight the English then?

Cads...

10. Shangas

Shangas Member

My family originally came from southern China. My great-grandparents migrated to Malaysia at the turn of the last century and my grandparents were born in the early 1910s (both my grandmothers were born in 1914).

11. Lias_Co_Pilot

Lias_Co_Pilot Member

Not mine. My mother's family were dirt farmers. They arrived in Texas in 1856 and six years later were forcibly drafted into the Confederate army. A year later, when they were in Lousiana, they deserted and joined up with Union troops.

My father's family is silent on a number of issues due to their organized crime ties.

My Grandfather served in the Pancho Villa expedition. My father served in Patton's Third Army. I served in the Cold War, as did my brother. My niece did one tour in Afghnistan and one in Iraq.

urqh likes this.
  12. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Father's side, Spain. Mother's side, Bolivia. So half were facists and the other side drug dealers.:p On a serious note, both sides were forced to leave their respective countries.

bigfun likes this.
  13. bigfun

bigfun Ace

PzJgr a facist drug dealer! Who'd have thunk it!

You're killing me!

14. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Mostly Irish, with a good deal of Welsh and a little bit of English and German. I actually want to research my family history but don't know where to begin, as my dads side of the family (his mothers family) was in the British Army for a number of years.

According to my dad, we had an ancestor who was killed at Rourkes Drift (made famous in the Zulu movie).

And if I believe him even more, i'm apparently related to a Welsh King who ruled around 400 AD.:eek:

wtid45 likes this.
  15. texson66

texson66 Ace

Father's side: Swedish as far back as 1755. Mother's side: probably German, English, and Native American (Chotaw).

My Swedish grandfather came to America to avoid being drafted by the Swedish Army; My Mom's father was a circuit-riding Methodist preacher.

16. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Should have seen our family reunions...... Facists to the drug dealers "Don't smoke the profits!" :p

17. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

100% Italian. All four grandparents came from Italy. Although, my maternal grandfather and paternal grandmother were from Sicily. They kind of felt they were separate.

My kids, however, are mutts. Wife's family is Pennsylvania German (since the 18th Century), Irish, and I think a bunch of other stuff.

18. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

On my fathers side German and Irish

On my mothers side English. But they came over to the new world early on so after that it merges with all kinds of ethnicities.

19. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Almost completely "Scandahoovian", both sets of grandparents came to America in the early twenties, and with names like Oskar and Mame (paternal side), and Einar and Nora (maternal side) not much other stuff mixed in there.

My kids are not quite as easily defined as I married a girl who was both Irish (paternal) and Austrailian (maternal). But since Norma was adopted, she doesn't really know her lineage. I used to tease my boys that they were 1/2 Norse, 1/4 Irish, and 1/4 Welch convict. But, that was just to get a rise out of my mother-in-law, since she had been adopted by a family whose own family was Welch and sent to Austrailia when it was a penal colony!

20. urqh

And to think I had a lot of respect for you until.......Welsh.......yaki dar bo peep.....you dont want to be welsh...be Irish...admit the mistake and we can move on as a group and a ww2 forum...But welsh...and your on your own....no I tell a lie...WLTD45....

2 Welshmen on one forum...And they say lightning dont strike twice.