Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What Languagues Did der Führer speak?

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Obersturmführer, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

Thanks for posting the Pictures. Yes thats Franco alright!
    My Grandpa was a Captain in the resistance against Franco he had a section of all Irish men.

2. pauledward

pauledward Member

Hitler only spoke German-He seldom travelled and never showed an interest in learning a different language. Being German, I take offense in you calling him "der fuehrer"! He was no great leader-he caused untold misery and suffering for the German people. It will take another 60 years for us to regain the respect of the world!

3. Obersturmführer

Obersturmführer Member

You needn't take offense nor be ashamed. Being German is something you should be proud of. My grandfather was born in Stuttgart, and being Volksdeutsche is something that I am overwhelmingly proud of. Was Hitler's reign a dismal, horrid time in German history? Of course it was. Regardless of this, Germans have an abundance of culture as well as past and present brilliant minds. We needn't not dwell on the past. We recognize what happened and let's make sure it never happens again.

A combination of Nationalism, militarism, results of WW1, financial crisis, and a traditional sense of discipline were all factors in the culmination of the Nazi/Fascist regime. Even thou the Russkies won, this simply served to supplement one oppressive regime for another. I don't think I need to remind everyone the sheer brutality (in some cases even more so than the Nazi's, if not ALL cases) of the Bolshevik reign, instituted ever since the October Revolution.

If you do not agree with my statements, if nothing else I am simply being historically accurate when calling him Der Fuhrer, because, as you know, that what he was called. Nearly every documentary I've seen (which is quite a few) of the Third Reich, the narrirator at least once refers to him as "The Führer" or "their Führer" when speaking in 3rd person.

4. PizzaDevil

PizzaDevil Member

You think only the germans?

What about:

The dutch, france, belgium, polish, norwegian, denmark, etc etc.. :eek:

5. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

Well hang on:

1) The OP used der Führer not der fuehrer.
    2) In using a term for a male leader he's implied no greatness.
    3) The term "der Führer" is an accepted term in history circles. It's widely used by both professional and amatuer historians of all nationalities.

Also wildly over emotional claims aren't really what this forum is about. I'm not impressed by them and I doubt anyone else is either. Neither use the free firezone area for them, keep them to yourself, or find a non-historical forum where expressing angst is encouraged.

pip pip!

von Poop and Obersturmführer like this.
  6. Obersturmführer

Obersturmführer Member

Awesome response indeed.. Phew, I was starting to think that this was a flame forum rather than a historical discussion board!! lol.

+salute to u sir.

7. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

Thanks, I imagine like me you've little time for that style of discussion nor any modern myths about Germany. As any fule kno modern Germany is a great nation with a generally wonderful population.

Tally Ho!

8. PizzaDevil

PizzaDevil Member

That's not true.

In any Documentary I saw, they just call him mostly Hitler.

9. Kruska

Kruska Member

Hello PizzaDevil,

not quite so. He was officially refered to as "der Führer, Adolf Hiltler" or "unser (our) Führer, Adolf Hiltler"
    He was directly addressed with "Heil, mein Führer" or Sieg Heil, mein Führer

Regards
    Kruska

10. PizzaDevil

PizzaDevil Member

Hi Kruska,

I mean the Presentators of the Documentaries.

11. Obersturmführer

Obersturmführer Member

Pizza: Sorry to say it mate but then you really haven't seen too many docu's!!! In nearly EVERY docu I have ever seen, they alternate between "their Fuhrer" or "the Fuhrer", and Hitler proper. This is regarded as his official title. By calling him this one is not exaulting him; but rather simply being historically accurate.

12. PizzaDevil

PizzaDevil Member

I have seen many documentary's, Obersturm.
    What do you know of what I see?

Yes, they say that but not Der Fuhrer.