Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What Sports do/did you play?

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by J.A. Costigan, Nov 21, 2008.

1. J.A. Costigan

J.A. Costigan Member

Wrestling
    High school heavyweight class, 2006-present.

Lacrosse
    High school defender, 2007-present .

What sports do you play, or did you in the past? (on any level)

2. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

When I was in high school I was on the baseball team/Right fielder, and played on the Varsity Football team. WR/FS, though mostly at the FS position. I was used kinda like a Brian Dawkins doing a lot of safty blitz/run stopping. Surprising due to my size but I did alright.

3. ozjohn39

ozjohn39 Member

Archery, way back in the late 60s and early 70s, when young Mr R. Hood was a lad!

John

4. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

Freshman basketball until I lost 9 teeth getting kicked in the face.
    Adult softball until I tore a groin muscle.
    Racketball until I tore my quadricep.

Now I just coach youth sports . . . . it's safer!

5. Lias_Co_Pilot

Lias_Co_Pilot Member

My high school required everyone to be on a team sport.

Freshman year-played football, but severely injured at the end of the season.

Sophmore year-had to sit out because of same injuries.

Junior and Senior year, played softball in local school (three high schools in town) league-federal fitness grant. I also started running triathalons Junior year. Triathalons didn't count as a team sport, so I had to do it on my own. I ran triathalons for fifteen years. I also ran in two marathons.

6. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I don't play anything anymore, my knee quit being my friend a few years ago and my feet turned to lead a little before that. I'm not even going to talk about the lead that found its way to my butt. I run like a grandmaw, now. It's disgusting.

However, when I was virile young man, I played football and baseball. Football, I was a cornerback, punt and kick off returner and occasional running back. Baseball, I played catcher and outfield, except for that brief moment of lunacy when I played third base for half a season. At the start of the next season, in the pre-season, I fielded a line shot with my nose, which cured me of any illusions that I was going to play infield from then on. I went back to catching and outfield.

I played organized ball up through graduation from HS, but other than pickup games, I've not played any since then and probably will not ever again, as much as I would like to.

I looked into playing rollerblade hockey when I was in my early 30s, but I found out that most of the other players were 18-25. I figured it wasn't worth getting hurt and I surely would with those young bucks, so I passed.

7. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

I didn't try out for teams very often in high school although had the coaches ask if I was interested. I already knew I was too competitive! Volleyball, basketball, track - mostly long jump, sprints - gymnastics. Also canoeing, curling, skating, really liked speed skating but never competed - back then we couldn't afford the proper skates. As an adult volleyball, and tae kwon do (until I scared myself in a tournament with my own intensity). Always loved playing softball (center outfield) or football (quarterback) with friends - I always had a strong right arm. :D

Oh, and when I can - golf.

I shudder to think what I don't/can't do now!

8. GPRegt

GPRegt Member

Just coming to the end of a series of golf lessons. Haven't played for far too many years. I've really enjoyed getting back into the game. I'm learning with a group and we get on great. Looks like we may be going out on the local courses together.

Steve W.

9. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

I begin to think that running cross-country is the most brutal of youth sports. My son left our house at 3:40am this morning in order to get to the state championship meet. He has been up at 4:30am Monday through Friday (5am on Saturdays) for the past 3 months and looks completely wiped out. Thank goodness that (i) today is the final meet, and (ii) I never ran!

10. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

University level soccer- mostly defensive midfielder but could play any position. I´m not the tallest guy on earth but got excellent reflexes and read the game well so I played several games as a goalie as well.

Unversity level ice hockey- me little terrier. Defence right or left, occasionally an attacker and then mostly creating havoc by staying in front of the goalie than really scoring. The worst place to be I think.

11. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Having never played hockey---but that looks like the place to be. All that padding and the others are not supposed to make contact with you, although accidents do happen sometimes. Thank goodness this man lived.

12. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

did football from elementary up through h.s., cross country in h.s. cycling, sno-shoeing, cc skiing, mtneering, teach wilderness survival during the winter months to the government and military, etc.....on it goes

13. Jaeger

Jaeger Ace

Biathlon, cc skiing, alpine skiing, ski jumping in the winter. Football shooting and mountaineering during the entire year. Not so much anymore. I do a tournament every now and again. The rest of the time I am producing officers for King Harald the 5th of Norway.

14. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

Wow . . . how many wives and children do you have???;):D

15. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Football, defensive tackle. Great times, that is until I blew the knee out!

16. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Rugby, usually a prop (despite being a touch too small) or rather surprisingly either a flanker or winger (I used to be quite fast). I sprinted 100/200m plus relays, wasn't bad until sixth form when I focused a bit too much on beer and exams. Occasionally play cricket and polo these days, plus of course shooting. I want to get more into the hunting and equestrian side of things in the next little while.

17. 36thva2

36thva2 Member

4 years of baseball, 1st Base and left field. Only thing now, 12oz curls and thumb exersizes on the remote........

18. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Football in high school. I was an under-weight 2nd string offensive guard. Wasn't fast, but quick. Not strong but fearless (too scared to be afraid). Did what I was told, the way I was told to do it. Ran some track too. After getting out of the army, I played A LOT of beer-league softball. At one point, my team was playing 200+ games a year. After 23 years of playing catcher, my knees retired. I stuck it out playing 1st base a couple of seasons, but stayed a couple of seasons too long. I wrap and bandage up my knees for annual ski trips now. Sometimes I ride my bike and take long brisk walks. Well, they start out brisk anyway. Mostly now I ride my lawnmower, drink beer, and smoke cigars.

19. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Used to do judo and fencing, but these were eroded by work / marriage life. Right now I'm a rather good beermug-lifter. Planning on returning to judo if work will allow.

20. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

American football, track & field, crosscountry in school. Now I golf.