Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What was the #1 cause of Casualties?????

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by PANKO, Jun 30, 2005.

1. PANKO

PANKO recruit

Hi everybody.
    I was searching for a site that had what the number one cause of casualties was during WWII. Im only talking military casualties though, not civilian. I came accross this site and was hoping mabey sombody could help me. I was thinking it was from artillery, but am not sure. Any input you guys have will be appreciated. Thx

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I know that on the western front most allied men losses came from the German mortar fire. Probably the German losses came both from artillery fire and bombing (by the allied air forces)on the western front.

3. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

At the eastern front most German casualties came from Soviet artillery. Or that's what I've heard… :confused:

4. jpatterson

jpatterson Member

Without doing any research I would say it's a safe bet that artillery would be the #1 cause of casualties in the European theater.

Later

5. airborne medic

airborne medic Member

In the first unpleasantness of the 20th century artillery was the biggest killer and I've no doubt in my mind it was in the second too.....

6. 16 PFA

16 PFA Member

Theres nothing like the sound of shrapnel wizzing around you to make you wish you had dug a better trench or found a better hole.;)

7. tommy tater

tommy tater Member

starvation or dehydration

8. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Diseases must have been causing quite alot of casualties especially in the autumn,winter and early spring phases.

9. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

I believe artillery to be the biggest killer in the front lines, but when I look at total figures of military losses I suspect the PoWs that did not make it back probably outnumber them at least for the Soviet and German military, I would need to look up some figures though.

10. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

The biggest killer was the mighty Kar98k, or the Stg44, fifty-fity! The MG-34 run in at a close second. They even made a History Channel 3-hour special about this for Christmas!