Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WHAT WAS THE TOP GERMAN SNIPER DIVISION/UNIT IN WW2?????

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Major Konig, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Major Konig

Major Konig Member

I JUST WANT TO KNOW , IVE SEARCHED THE WEB AND FOUND SHIT :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. Popeyesays

Popeyesays Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Major Konig:
    I JUST WANT TO KNOW , IVE SEARCHED THE WEB AND FOUND SHIT :mad: :mad: :mad:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Snipers were individuals posted temorarily usually at the company or battalion level. That's why you can't find anything about sniper "units" - there were none.

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Glad to have you here Major, even though Zaitsev supposedly killed you in Stalingrad, but we know that that was nothing but Russian propaganda-dont we :D

And our friend is correct, ther were no sniper divisions. These men usually worked only in teams of two men. Spotter and sniper. On vere rare occasions, they worked in teams of up to 5 men. The only place I know for sure that that happened at was somewhere near Anzio, just after the Anglo-American Invasion.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Glad to have you here Major, even though Zaitsev supposedly killed you in Stalingrad, but we know that that was nothing but Russian propaganda-dont we :D

And our friend is correct, ther were no sniper divisions. These men usually worked only in teams of two men. Spotter and sniper. On vere rare occasions, they worked in teams of up to 5 men. The only place I know for sure that that happened at was somewhere near Anzio, just after the Anglo-American Invasion.

5. Major Konig

Major Konig Member

THEN WHAT WOULD THE TITLE OF A GERMAN SNIPER BE????? :confused: :confused:

6. Popeyesays

Popeyesays Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Major Konig:
    THEN WHAT WOULD THE TITLE OF A GERMAN SNIPER BE????? :confused: :confused:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    He would be addressed by his rank, whatever that might be.

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thats correct. Also, if you noticed the photo thats in a circle on the main page and at the top left, it shows a German sniper.

At the time that photo was taken, he was an Oberstleutnant (Lieutenant Colonel) and an RKT. Dont believe any of that crap that you might hear on that "other" forum, about their being no high-ranking German snipers. Pictures are proof positive as well as the mans info on the RKT website.

Now I will concede that their might not have been a German sniper with that rank at the front lines but, that certainly does NOT say that there was no sniper in the entire Wehrmacht, who achieved that rank.
    ;)

[ 26 August 2001: Message edited by: C.Evans ]

8. Major Konig

Major Konig Member

what is the german word for sniper????
    and what does wehrmact mean???

9. Major Konig

Major Konig Member

what division had the best snipers in it???? thanks :confused:

10. Popeyesays

Popeyesays Member

11. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Herr König:

Wehrmacht means Army
    Sniper is scharschütze

As been said, check your search engines please. And look for the work by Peter Senich......The German Sniper 1914-1945. You will gather much useful information from it. Also, I believe that Carl also knows of another interesting title for you. All the Wehrmacht, Waffen SS and Fallshirmtruppe divisions had their marksmen. As also been said there were probably some fairly high ranking offiziers that had impressive tallies, although the top two Wehrmacht snipers only got to the rank of Gefreiter to Unteroffizier. Both came from Alpine Divisionen stationed in the Caucausus mountains of Russia. Weapon of choice was the K 98 with associated scopes.

Good luck in your further search.....

E

12. Major Konig

Major Konig Member

what division was matthias hetzenhauer mostly in????were most snipers in the , Heer Waffen ss??? and were they in divisionen (which one liecth infatnry?) Korps or armeen??? :confused: :confused: thanks

13. Major Konig

Major Konig Member

last question, was there any divison of german army that was prized for its marksmanship??? :confused:

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I think Matthias was in the 352nd ID, or stationed with an attached unit, but dont quote me on that.

Ill try to give you more later.

15. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl :

First, congrats on your 100% score.....excellent my friend. Now hopefully it will spur you on to better things.

Herr König: Matthäus Hetzenauer born December 23,1924, in Brixen im Thale, Austria......how fitting ! Gefreiter der Reserve in 7./Gebirgsjäger Regiment 144 of 3 Gebirg. Division, XXXXIX Gebirg. Korps, Ist Panzer Armee.........whew !
    Awarded the Ritterkreuz on April 17, 1945 and presented to him by GEneral d. Pz. Nehring at Friedberg on April 25, 1945.

E

16. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks my friend, and uh--you might be on the recieving end of my job in the future as your phone number will be computer generated. So if you ever hear something like "Hello" im Jeff from Millward Brown....................

I certainly do hope it leads to a fed job, this is part-time and could almost be full-time, depending on how many work orders they get and how fast they are completed. I definately HOPE, it leads to a fed job... you donk know how stupid I feel yacking on the phone to a complete stranger for up to .45 minutes about their cars....... Now if we were talking about militaria or these forums, I would feel completely different

Also thanks for the info on Matthias. I couldnt be more wrong if I had said he that he had served as the Chief Gunnery Officer on the Battleship Bismarck. I should have figured he was a Jager :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Im pretty sure Sepp is also. :D

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks my friend, and uh--you might be on the recieving end of my job in the future as your phone number will be computer generated. So if you ever hear something like "Hello" im Jeff from Millward Brown....................

I certainly do hope it leads to a fed job, this is part-time and could almost be full-time, depending on how many work orders they get and how fast they are completed. I definately HOPE, it leads to a fed job... you donk know how stupid I feel yacking on the phone to a complete stranger for up to .45 minutes about their cars....... Now if we were talking about militaria or these forums, I would feel completely different

Also thanks for the info on Matthias. I couldnt be more wrong if I had said he that he had served as the Chief Gunnery Officer on the Battleship Bismarck. I should have figured he was a Jager :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Im pretty sure Sepp is also. :D

18. Major Konig

Major Konig Member

THIS IS MY LAST Q. WAS THERE A DIVISION IN GERMAN MILITARY WERE IF U WERE A EXCELLENT MARKSMAN YOU WOULDN'T GET IN?????? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

19. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl :

I hope it really works out for you.....all the best on this endeavor !

König :

Please restate your question for us. Personally I must be a little dense.....too much time in the high mountains of California at over 12,000 feet I think. You must remember that soldiers from the Wehrmacht could be transferred into the Waffen SS or even into the Luftwaffe as a pilot as long as they had the allotted amount of flight training in one of the several training schools available.
    :cool: Ok? hope you understand what I am saying........

E

20. Major Konig

Major Konig Member

its like the present day marines were they value their marksmans ship above all(thats why they shoot at targets 500 800 yards away)
    was there a division like that in german military??? if so which one??? :confused: