Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What were the various "super weapons programs" of World War II???

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by DiegoMaxwell, Jan 18, 2020.

1. DiegoMaxwell

DiegoMaxwell New Member

When we think of Super Weapons, we often think of the Atomic Bomb in World War II. There were other programs, like the US B-29 or the German V Rocket program that cost significantly more money and were serious technological advancements. Let's consider a "superweapon" a program that cost over 2 Billion (USD) and represented a major increase in weapons capabilities (nukes, rockets, pressurized aircraft, etc...). What were the major superweapons developed in WWII?

2. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

..when I think of WW2 super weapons I think A-Bombs ,not airplanes ..maybe it was a wonder weapon like the ME-262 and the V-2
    ...another way of thinking about it is the A-Bomb produced a war ending shock, where as the V weapons and B29s did not
    ..the A-Bomb program only produced 2 weapons by the end of the war....the B29 program produced thousands
    ...a quick search and I found the M4 Shermans cost 1.6 billion$--and did they not produce a ''more significant'' contribution than the B29? especially in the European Theater?

3. Takao

Takao Ace

Essex class aircraft carrier program would come close too or slightly surpass 2 billion. Definately would surpass that Mark if the cost of their aircraft were added in.

4. Otto

Otto Rested & Resupplied with MREs. Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

This thread was started by a spam account operated by a human from India. However, based upon the quality of the responses, I'm leaving this in place in case anyone wants to continue the conversation.

bronk7 likes this.