Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What World War 2 places have you visited?

Discussion in 'Living History' started by colletorww2, Jan 29, 2009.

1. colletorww2

colletorww2 Ace

I have been at a norwegian fortress near Skjellanger in Norway, i have also been at herdla(You should read the story about that place, to house there is older than 1945). I have some planeparts from my uncle from this aircraft: Blenheim Øygarden I have also two planeparts from a german plane shot down by one of its own ships, i havent seen anything written about it. The plane was shot down near Toska(Where i grew up), the pilot bailed out and taken into Manger where he was later picked up by the germans.

2. creativewindmill

creativewindmill Member

I spent three and a half years in Germany from 1969 to 1971. I was first stationed in Bitburg then Spandelham (spelling?) There was a statue of a German WWII solider there.We live in Bensfield. It was not far from Spicher. (spelling?) I was not interested much in history then. I probably missed the opportuity of a life time. I did go to the cemetary in Luxemborg. My uncle was killed in the Battle of the Buldge and is burried there. He was awarded the silver star.
    I have also been to Verdun and Paris France.
    I wish now I had been more aware of my surroundings. All of could think of then was having fun and when would I get to go home.
    Al Letcher
    Newburgh, Indiana.

3. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

I'm rather spoilt for it living as I do in Kent in south east England, so it starts with having the site of the Battle of Britain permanently overhead. Travelled to the Channel Islands, across Northern France, Belgium, Holland and Germany (mainly the North).

The two most memorable visits were the Channel Islands which being a youngster just spun my head faster than a 78, packed with bunkers, walls and the underground hospital at St Lawrence.

And Berlin when there was still a wall and I got to walk through a deserted Tiergarten and saw the Brandenburg Gate appear through the fog. If it couldn't get any spookier once I finally got into East Berlin it did seem that very little had changed since 1945, almost as if I'd travelled in time back to those dark days of the battle for Berlin. Those poor Osties looked like they were still being hunted.

4. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

El Alamein, Okinawa, Tokyo, Iwo Jima, Saipan, Singapore, Thailand, Phillipines, Pearl Harbor, Hohenfells, Munich, Nuremberg, Berlin.

Yes I did hit the battlefields, one of the perks to sharing a hobby with the company Gunny.

Germany was more of a "Hey, who knows anything about this place" when I was in the National Guard. Unfortunately none of the pictures are digital and some are on rolls of film that discretion prohibits their being developed; if you catch my drift.

Brad

5. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

The Karelian front in several places, the best known is Tali-Ihantala.

Eagle´s nest, St Petersburg ( =Leningrad ), Tallinn, Narva, Northern Norway sector.

6. flammpanzer

flammpanzer Member

id love to go to japan (+ get a wife there) did you like iwo, suribachi ?? are there remmants of the battle or everythings been removed?

7. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Too many old 8th AF and Bomber Command airfields to list, plus Normandy beaches, Falaise Gap, the Bulge, Arnhem, Berlin, Nuremburg Rally Grounds, Crete, one or two Luftwaffe airfields in Italy....

Basically, everywhere I go in Europe I manage to find something ! :eek:

8. formerjughead

There's still stuff........when I was there in '89 there were still shell casings and machinegun links in the sand on the beaches. Most of the bigger things had been removed though. The caves were untouched, even though it was obvious others had been in there before. Remeber this was an operational airfield for several years so things had been pretty well picked over.

On Okinawa I fell into a big hole, while training, in the jungle near Naha. Turned out to be a mortar pit. The mortar and ammunition were still there.

Brad

9. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

France:
    Azeville battery
    Benouville
    Carentan
    Chambois
    Falaise
    Hill 112
    Longues-sur-mer battery
    Merville battery
    Mont Ormel
    Normandy beaches (Sword, Juno, Gold, Omaha, Utah)
    Pegasus Bridge
    Ranville
    Saint-Come-du-Mont
    Saint-mer-Eglise
    Vimoutiers
    West Wall fortifications

Belgium:
    Bastogne
    Foy

Germany:
    Berlin flak towers
    Colditz castle
    Eagles Nest
    Hitler's bunker (Berlin)
    Munich
    Nuremberg (Zeppelin Field)
    Reichstag
    REIMAHG-ME262 factory
    Wewelsburg

Netherlands:
    Arnhem
    Nijmegen
    Oosterbeek

UK:
    Too many places to mention!

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  10. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Well as I found out just today! Paige Field in Ft Meyers Fl, and Naples Airport, both AAF training facilities. Other than that when I visited Germany many years ago, I went through a concentration camp.

11. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

The cemetary in Luxembourg, Bastogne, Trois Points and Clervaux. There was a huge cemetary in the UK I remember visiting dedicated to aircrew members of the USAAF. Don't remember the name but it had a huge map of the routes that the bombers used to bomb Germany along with some of the WWII airfields that were abandoned but some of the buildings were still standing. Finally, Dachau Concentration Camp and the Berchtesgaden area including the Eagle's nest

12. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

...that would have been Madingley, near Cambridge, PzJgr.....

PzJgr likes this.
  13. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

My list would be too long, but mainly focussed on the European theather, from the Batlefields of May-June 1940 in Benelux + France to the Lysander dropping places near the Loire Valley during the occupation, the Maquis forests in central France, the D-Day Beaches, the Ardennes, Metz, Alsace, Arnhem, the Ruhr. I will be going to Cologne and Aachen next month. I was also in Austria, Northern Italy, Crete, Bulgaria etc..

14. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Leningrad, Moscow, Kursk, Talin, Vienna, Rome and other places in Italy....

15. 272VGD.

272VGD. Member

Ardennes, Luxembourg, Hürtgenwald, Schnee-Eifel, Market Garden, Walcheren, Reichswald, Halbe pocket, Berlin, Frankfurt an der Oder and many other smaller battlefields.

16. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Yup, since I was stationed at RAF Alconbury in Cambridgeshire. Cheers Martin for the name

17. flammpanzer

flammpanzer Member

coool did you bring the mortat was it the classic knee 81??

18. texson66

texson66 Ace

Pearl Harbor where it all began for the US. Tokyo where it all ended for Japan. In Europe, London and several RAF fields as well as 8th AFBs. I wanted to see Churchill's command post, but it seems I never have time. Southampton where a lot of folks left from on D-Day.
    Germany: Bertchesgarten, Munich, Hamburg. Italy Rome

Next time in Europe: the military cemeteries and the Battle of the Bulge area.

19. formerjughead

It appeared to be an 81MM and not considered a "Knee Mortar". It was too big to have been carried in an uphill retreat. We basically marked it on a map and told EOD. Never heard anything more about it.

20. flammpanzer

flammpanzer Member

eod???