Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What World War 2 places have you visited?

Discussion in 'Living History' started by colletorww2, Jan 29, 2009.

1. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Explosive Ordnance Disposal

2. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

EOD = Explosive Ordinance Disposal (I think).

I passed through Dunkirk on my bike. Didn't get a chance to visit any of the bunkers I rode by. I've stood on the beach of Anzio (nothing spectacular, rather dirty) and visited the American Italian Theatre War Cemetery at Anzio. I believe we drove through the Gothic Line (or some such) as i saw some bunkers in the hillside somewhere between Naples (Italy) and Rome (Italy). And of course, Monte Cassino, though the visit was more focused on the abbey then the memorial there. I also managed to convince the GF (at the time, now the ex) to let me go see the Radar Station (I believe it was) on the coast of New Zealand when we were there.

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Not sure HOW significant the places I saw in Germany were-for WWII places to see but, I saw a few buildings in and around Wilhelmshaven that were still standing which had bomb damage, I saw bomb-damaged buildings in other areas too-just don't remember where.

Also, I visited the Hohentwiel Schloss Ruins in Singen-which I was told was used as some sort of Luftwaffe Radio Relay Station or Radar Station?

I've also seen Memorials at Laboe, (Naval Memorial-which was there well before WWII) visited the Uboat Memorial in Moltenort-which was built to honor the Gents in WWI-but WWII happened-so those Gents were included as well. Oh and I also visited Friedrichshafen-which is one of the Cities my Dad flew over-in B-17s.

4. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

Somewhere I have a picture I took many years ago of a obleisk that marks the spot where king George sixth reviewed the troops just before D-DAY cant remember exactly where it was other than on or near the south coast of England

C.Evans likes this.
  5. 4th wilts

4th wilts Member

my best visits were to the spring classic cycle races.liege-bastogne-liege,paris rubaix,tour of flanders etc.this gave me a chance to chat to the locals.highly recomended,cheers.:)

6. flammpanzer

flammpanzer Member

it would be sweet visiting all places starting from gbr to all the beaches of normandy spec omaha and then all the way to russia stopping in stalingrad.

7. chaloner

chaloner Member

I've been to Manila, Philippines where the Battle Of Manila was fought, also Bataan death march. I actually walked the actual march. Didn't go far just few blocks. I can't believe they marched that long. I can't even go a few blocks it was freakin hot as hell.

8. Falcon Jun

Falcon Jun Ace

Well, been to Corregidor and Bataan. Followed the route the Southern Luzon Force took when it retreated to Bataan. Been to Nasugbu were Eichelberger landed and followed the trail where the paratroop division skirmished with the Japanese from Nasugbu to Batulao to Tagaytay. Intramuros. Lingayen. The Death March trail. The first airstrip of the Kamikaze. There's a lot here in the Philippines and since I live in Luzon where a lot of the fighting in the campaign took place, I've probably been in places where the two sides had fought over but I didn't realize it.

9. Rubberman

Rubberman Member

When I was 16 I went to England(should of went to France doh) were we staying it was close to Biggin Hill the ww2 base during BOB if I remember they had spitfire out front.When went to London I visited the HMS Belfast and we walked the thames river you could see bomb damage on a few statues along the river.

10. blacksnake

blacksnake Member

Went to Normandy last year. Did all the invasion beaches (except Utah, no time). Beounville (Pegassus Bridge), British Cemetery at Hermanville, Battery at Longues-su-mer, Caen, Pointe-du-Hoc, US Cemetery at Collville and Carentan.

Also went to Malta about 15 years ago.

11. J.A. Costigan

J.A. Costigan Member

London, Normandy, and Paris.

12. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Same as Martin- too many old airfields/camps etc in Britain to list.
    On the Continent, the only places I've managed to visit (so far) were the Blockhaus Eperlecque and La Coupole, two V-Weapons sites outside St Omer in the Pas de Calais Nord.

13. Drew5233

Drew5233 Member

London, I grew up there.

Dambusters training area, I walk, run and mountain bike there.

Paris, vacation with partner.

All of the Normandy area, I rode around on my motorbike.

U-Boat Pens at St. Nazaire and area, same as above.

BEF retreat from Cassel to Dunkirk, day trip.

RAF Biggin Hill, grew up nr Kent.

Vimy Ridge, Arras and Dunkirk via Wormhoult, Battlefield Tour.

Oradour Sur Glane, Biking Holiday.

Tulle, Biking Holiday.

All the WW2 defences at Dover, parents live down the road.

Lots of other locations in Kent relating from PLUTO to early Radar, Parents live on the Kent coast.

Eden Camp, POW camp in Yorkshire. I live near it.

HMS Belfast.

RAF Hawkinge Museum

Battle of Britain museum at Duxford.

Imperial War Museum.

Etaples, biking holiday.

La Rochelle, biking holiday.

I'm sure there's a few more.

This year a w/end in Dieppe and a trip to the Anne Franks museum. The highlight being a two week holiday in Bayeux with several ATB books :D

14. MarineRaider

MarineRaider Member

Let's see...Omaha Beach, Berlin, Pearl Harbor. Interesting places. Visit them:)

15. hucks216

hucks216 Member

I'm not going to include UK places but I have been to the following overseas sites...

Okinawa
    Singapore
    Bridge Over The River Kwai / Death Railway
    Overloon
    Pearl Harbour
    Vara Batterie - Kristiansand (and surrounding area gun sites)
    My one related regret was being in Manilla 2 years ago and not being able to arrange a visit to Corregidor

Places I'd like to go to are...

Stalingrad
    Kursk
    Kohima/Imphal

16. protaskin

protaskin recruit

Well, I'm from Belarus - the whole territory was a large battleground. Minsk, Brest, Orsha, Rogachev... The abandoned non-discharged bombs and missiles are still found in earth in great quantities, twenty or so monthly even in the capital, sometimes between walls of buildings...

17. blacksnake

blacksnake Member

A couple of weeks back I visited a WW2 and Cold War HAA Battery with Jagdpanther and Pegasus ... Amazing site, although now situated on private land, access is not deterred ... And as it turned out, the farmer was quite a nice guy once he realized we were'nt a bunch of "Pikey's" out to steal the lead.:)
    The site has the remains of three WW2 and two post war batteries with ammo stores, command bunkers, and more. In front of the battery was also a ww2 POW camp for Italian prisoners (although little remains of it now).

Best part is ... It's only a 20min drive from home...Thanks to John and Neil for letting me tag along..:D

18. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I'll say. I bet there is a smorgasbord of relics to be found.

19. ozjohn39

ozjohn39 Member

A couple of unusual ones,

Batchelor Field, Northern Territory, where Gen MacArthur landed in Australia.

Terowie, a tiny village in South Australia, where MacArthur gave his 'I Shall Return" speech.

Many airfirelds and bases in northern Australia.

Darwin, Adelaide River, Katherine, Alice Springs NT.

USS 'Arizona'

John.

20. Cj3022

Cj3022 Member

Well because of me being only 14 , I havent been anywhere WW2 related...When I do get older , I am hoping to be able to go to Pearl Harbor , France , Belgium , and maybe Germany..But im probably gonna start with the WW2 Museum in Louisiana :D