Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What World War 2 places have you visited?

Discussion in 'Living History' started by colletorww2, Jan 29, 2009.

1. courage505

courage505 recruit

Normandy, Bastogne, Cassablanca, Palermo, Anzio, Salerno, Cassino, Armhen, Okinawa, The Aleutians and Pearl Harbor.

Hope to visit more!

Tom

2. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I really haven't the opportunity to visit any real WW2 places of interest (battlefields). The closest place that I guess would qualify would be the National WW2 Museum in New Orleans. Ok, stop laughing now....Remember this, it is partially located on the site of Higgins Industries, where many small boats were constructed that heavily contributed to the war industry. So there....

Well, in addition to that, I have been up and down the docks and wharves where millions of men and tons of war material were shipped out of during the war....Not good enough, fine then, keep reading....I have also been to many bars in the French Quarter and the Warehouse District where many of those who were shipping out had their last beer on US soil....How's that?

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Because my travel is limited (my wife won't fly), I've not been to any battlefields. The closest I can get is going on the Yorktown in Charleston, and the New Jersey in Camden, NJ. I know they don't count, but it's the best I can do.

Sloniksp likes this.
  4. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

:rofl:

Camdem is worse then Baltimore... Ill count that for modern day battlfield! :D

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Oh, thanks. Fortunately, the New Jersey is tied up on the river, and you can get there on a river ferry from Philadelphia. That way, there is no reason to drive through Camden. Actually, the waterfront isn't bad. There's an aquarium, a nice minor league baseball field, and a park. A few years back they had a very nice tall ships show that my wife and I went to. Pretty cool.

6. paraboy

paraboy Member

In this year I was in Normandy! Arromaches, Omaha Beach, Pointe-du-Hoc, Longue-sur-mer, American Cemeteryi in Colleville-sur-mer, etc.

7. colletorww2

colletorww2 Ace

I have went to ALOT of ww2 places this summer(I will post a thread when i get home...)

8. Half Pint

Half Pint Member

tationed in Paris

Flew from BoB German airfields, visited, work related Commo Bunker in heart of Paris.

Rail line between France / Germany still showed sighs of heavy damage.

Bomb ruins in Stuttgart when I first got here and assigned to an old WWII German Barrack, slept in same for 1 1/2 year.

Stationed Bayreuth AAF old Luftwaffe field. Visited Bayreuth Festspielhaus on more than one occasion. 2ACR Hqs was in Nuremberg in old SS Barracks just around the corner from the Nuremberg Rally Grounds and then downtown Nuremberg much of this was duty connected but later as in country permanent tourist, and surrounding areas to include Flossenburg KZ and Old German/present day US Training grounds. Car trip to London by way of the Ardennes with visit to the Luxembourg Cemeteries, German and American. Drive by look at some of the bunkers of the West Wall and around Calais.

This was before I got interested in WWII. I won't bore you with the rest. Many places great and small.

HP

9. 36thva2

36thva2 Member

The only thing I can think of off hand, is several years ago we went to a camp where they held Japanese familys during the war. Kansas maybe?? Have been on a few battleships over the years as well.

10. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Normandy , Ardennes , Arnhem , Arras , Falaise, Berlin , Monte Cassino , Crete , Stalingrad , Sevastopol , Odessa , Saaramaa, Narva about 10 times !!!

Still many more to go but at the moment i go to Narva all the time as i do Tours there,

regards

Paul

Martin Bull likes this.
  11. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Don't tell anyone - but I've just had to Google Narva ! :eek::eek::eek:

12. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Shame on you Martin i expected better from you !!!!

Fancy a Tour ??

regards

Paul

13. Martin Bull

Don't tempt me - but I've always fancied a trip to the Baltic States....:eek:

14. Doc_

Doc_ Member

Going to the Krinkelterwald Bulge Northern Shoulder area on the German-Belgian border early AM tomorrow morning. Walking 1 mile area were TSgt Vernon McGarity, Pfc Richard Cowan and Sgt Jose Lopez won the Medal of Honor. Also hope to explore the 394th Infantry B and C Company areas northeast of Losheimergraben crossroads. Will post pictures of my journey this weekend.

15. Martin Bull

I've been to some of the areas you've mentioned and many locations can be easily identified. Please do post your pics here ; they will be of great interest to many ! :)

16. MParker873

MParker873 recruit

I have been to several, Reichswald Forrest War Cemetery, Rheineberg Cemetery, Mohne Dam, Eder Dam, All roudn Arnem/Nijmegan/Wolfehaze/Oosterbeek, Colditz, Auschwitz, Zagen, Berlin. I keep meaning to go to Italy and follow the route of the 8th Army

17. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

Pearl Harbor, Wheeler Field, Haleiwa, Bellows, Scofield Barracks, Ford Island, Kaneohe, Opana Point, and Ewa.

18. JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI Ace

Well I have been to Athens, Rome, and Paris. Not really huge battle sites, but the cites were occupied. Of course I didn't actually go for WWII study anyway lol :rolleyes:

19. D1J1

D1J1 Member

London, Paris, Helsinki, Moscow and St. Petersburg/Leningrad.

20. hucks216

hucks216 Member

I have already posted my places on this thread but one I forgot was stopping over the wreck site of HMS Prince Of Wales & HMS Repulse for a minutes silence.

A-58 likes this.