Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What's my Garand worth?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Will, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Will

Will recruit

Hey guys I'm wondering what my garand is worth. It is a Sprigfield armory gun made in late june 1943 (Well at least the receiver is.) It was rebuilt in 1949 and all parts are springfield. It has the old type sight with the locking nut. It also has the milled trigger group. The finish I would have to say is about 85% All parts that were once milled before replaced with stampings are millings, including the bullet guide. I'll soon be getting a perioud cleaning kit for it so that will be there. Here's the best part... ...the stock... ...has all of the origional Springfield proof stamps in very good shape. The stock itself is also in great shape.

I got this for $600 I know that is worth at least that. But what I want to know is how much could it be resold for?

Thanks,
    William

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Sorry to say--Parts Garands arent worth $600.00 You can still buy them from the US Govt for around $350.00 to $400.00. Yours also depends on whether it is a cut-down version also known as a "Tanker Garand" which was supposedly used in the Korean War. Also depends on if it has import markings or not. I had one that did have import markings--was a "Tanker Garand" and it was in nice shape, but only worth about $350.00.

An all-matching Garand will command much more.

3. Will

Will recruit

It's all origional. And yes I've personaly seen Garands in this condition for around $600 at gunshows.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

True but--you have to remember one thing when going to a gunshow--all prices will be inflated because of all that available money floating around,

I bought a mint-conditioned Mauser Sniper Rifle--with 25 round Ansteckmagaxine in it. These sell for thousands--in worse condition. He had his priced high--when I saw it on Saturday. He would not budge--had many who looked at it--no takers. I asked if he would drop the price a bit--he would not budge.

I figured he would sell that rifle befor ethe day was out and was a bit depressed--but I figured I would go back to the show on Sunday--as I was on my way to work.

The rifle was still there but marked down about 5 x's. I had $650.00 with me and I walked up to him--took all my money out (It was all in $20's, $10's and $5's.) I still said nothing--all the time gettting his complete attention by slowly peeling off and laying on the table--$650.00.

As I knew he hadnt made any money at the show--and his wife was pregnant--I knew he would take it. Bat thats not all. I said ill take the rifle paying NO TAXES or Transferr fees of anykind. He made a big sigh--thinking about the offer as I proceeded to look at the next table (mind you I and he were keeping eyes on the money) he stood up--took the lock off of the rifle stand and proceeded to try to get me to take any two other Mauser rifles for that price--I shook my head no--grabbed my cash and was about to walk away and he goes: "I was just testing you -- here" and I thanked him--turned away and proceeded to walk out of the gunshow--not believing that I got a rifle worth thousands of dollars--for only ONLY $650.00.

5. Will

Will recruit

My goodness! Wow. I've seen just repros of those mags go for $85. That's unbelievable! Well I guss I you have a point then. But why then do I see stocks like the one on my rifle go for $200 by them selves? Is it for the same reason? Also the sight alone has been quoted at around $85 and I've seen recievers online at the CMP (I think) from WWII made by SA go for $250

So what's going on?

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi William--thats because dealers are in it to only make a profit--they are ripping people off blind. You will always find a better deal going through Shotgun news or through other sources.

The Ansteck-magazin on my Mauser is an MG-13 Magazine that was welded onto Mauser rifles--for use only by Snipers. Mine is a 1936 Mauser with a 1935 stamped Magazine--which is how these things were put-together. I know someone in Houston that has a 1942 made mauser with a fixed magazine--I think it was only 20 rounds--anyway--his magazine was stamped 1941. This person was also a Vietnam vet--he killed the Viet who had this rifle--which he now has as part of his collection.

Anyway--on prices--prices on most items are VERY inflated--ESPECIALLY these days--mostly due to greed.

You can buy Nagants fro about $45.00 or so--mint unissued through SOG Intl or some company like that.

7. Will

Will recruit

Well I have seen MG13 mags in Sportsmans guide for about $15-$25 apeice (I'm sure you would have to modify them first though. But anyway. The mag I saw was a 20 or 25 round copy of a WWI desing that I saw an example of in france. It is different in that it is totally straight and has no ribbing. What dose your mag look like?

William

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

mine has the ribbing.

9. Will

Will recruit

Could you possibly email me pictures of the magazien and kocking mechanism on the rifle as I would like to buy one of these mags and modify it for my uncle's mauser as a gift.

Thanks.
    William

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi William--I wish I could at the moment but--I have no way of sending images and--ill have to wiat till sometime after I move and take pics of the rifle. Its been in storage for 2 years :eek: but I should have it in a week or so. Ill have to shoot it with my not-so-trusty Nikon camera--will not show intimate details like a digital camera will.

11. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

12. Will

Will recruit

Well martin I found out after

13. Will

Will recruit

Well Martin, after shooting it yesterday I found out when I cleaned it that it must had not been fired since being rebuilt. I figured this because there was fouling in very hard to clean areas that previously had none. I know that since I have now fired it it's value has gone down. but what do you suppose it was worth?

Thanks,
    W.p.

14. spike

spike Member

don`t know about that for the last tread your not going to hurt your weapon by firing it you`ll kill by not shooting it. If you`re going to collect it put atleast one clip down the pipe hell make it two if it`s stiff, Then break it down and clean it.
    I bought a M-1 #`ed under a million with all correct matched numbers. for sure was in the E.T.O. and I have the paper work also stating it was used by a 745( that`s a rifleman in WWII ) rifleman same thing as today`s 11-Bravo,bang,bang whatever

Now for 600 .00 I paid for that rifle was worth it I stole it for sure can`t get deals like that. When I pulled it out at the gun shop the owner offerd my 2,000 as much as I like $$ I like my rifles better lol .
    Okay kid`s don`t be afriad to shoot your old guns unless you have a mechanical or muzzles problems if you don`t fire them atleast once or twice a year the springs load up or go weak same as a clip ya know. Plus in the Army they showed me a weapon or two :)
    Best regards
    Spike