Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

what's the best ss unit (not your FAVORITE.. ..the BEST)

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe' started by Will, Nov 3, 2002.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I tend to think that the reason why (or a reason why) that LSSAH and Das Reich werent picked over Wiking was because of so much trouble in their pasts concerning with War Crimes.

Mohnke is a prime and sorry example that comes to mind.

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Sad but true, the top W-SS Pz. Divisions all fell short due to the shooting of prisoners whether military or not. Possibly Wiking has been rated so high due to all the large mix of European volunteers. Quite a mixture I must say when you look at it's breakdown as well as 11th SS Pz. Gren too. I placed my vote with a Heavy Panzer Abteilung as I originaly thought we were not talking just the units at the divisional level. It must be also said that the Schwere Panzer Abteilung 102 did quite well in Normandy against British armor destroying over 225 armored vehicles. It is evident that Tigers in combat 1/2 author Wolfgang Schneider whill be publishing a book on the Heavy SS Tiger Battalion somewhere in the future.

E

3. hassan

hassan Guest

i think 7 ss as they were best in setting explosives

4. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

I went for LAH. The starters of the waffen SS and from whose ranks some of the real waffen ss 'heroes' arose. Failing that I would have gone for Prinz Eugen cos i used to be in their reenactment unit but they were a bit poo in the war. They were ok for shooting civilians, sorry i meant partisans, but when the red army turned up they got a bit of a kicking in!!!

5. Mahross

Mahross Ace

6. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Mahross :

do you Have Peter Strassner's Die Europäische Freiwillige die 5th SS Pz. Div. Wiking and the bild album on the Ss Pz 5 regiment, Verweht sind die Spuren ? There is also the Munin Verlag title European Volunteer Panzer Grenadier Division
    Wiking as well......

E

7. Mahross

Mahross Ace

Erich,
    No i don't unfortuanatly. Most of my library isn't with me, damm university room is too small!!! Also can't afford to expand my library as much as i'd like. Hate being a poor student!!! Thats why i rely on the web a lot.

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

College student......arg ! Yes I know this feeling, I think I had something like 40 books back in 1971 in my first of 6 years of college....man am I agin myself here ! now over 700 titles on the shelves :eek:
    Be patient and get those school bills paid off and check some of the many interesting titles at your neighborhood book net sites. There are at least two firms that are translating the many Munin Verlag titles, that bing JJF of Canada and Nation Europa of Germany, both having web-pages for book listings.
    Getting back to Wiking, an important armored battle ensued on 7 Juli 1944 where Panthers of II. Abteilung destroyed over 107 Soviet tanks

E

9. Mahross

Mahross Ace

Erich, that is exactly how it is. luckily my university has a good selection of book on military history so that helps. I'm interested to learn more about the 5th SS, know any good sites? or books that i might get on inter-library loan. that is a god send!! lol

10. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Can you pick up those titles in German that I mentioned through your library ? you maybe able too......

There are a couple of sites dedicated to Flemish, Danish and Dutch volunteers in the 5th SS Pz. Will have to hunt them down.....

wait maybe these will work for starts ?

www.ven051.be/vena10108/
    www.geocities.com/Athens/Pantheon/1024/index.html
    www.ordonnans.demon.nl

have not been around to check them lately but at least one should cover some materials though brief on Wiking's activities.

E

11. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

12. Mahross

Mahross Ace

kai
    Great sites thank you.

13. Kampfgruppe - von Root

Kampfgruppe - von Root Dishonorably Discharged

1) Das Reich