Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What's the last movie you bought on DvD?

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by History-buff1944, Oct 25, 2012.

1. History-buff1944

History-buff1944 New Member

via War44
    Thought i'd bring this over to this site as its pretty popular on tow other sites im on or was on. Anyway, the last tow movies I bought deal with the Roman Legions. One is called: The Eagle--and ive been told that one was well made and is a good movie. I forget the title of the other but it stars Donald Sutherland.

Earlier this year--I bought a couple other movies dealing with that period or somewhere near it--one was: Sword of War with Rutger Hauer--who plays King/Lord? Barbarossa. Its a movie that seemed to get little positive attention and I cant see why because I thought it was a very well made very well acted movie dealing with Barbarossa in Italy. The other movie had Ioan Gruffud in it as one of soon-to-be-King Arthur's Knights. I forget the name of this movie but it too was a very well made and acted movie.

What kind of movies do you all like buying? Post them here as I dont want to be the only one doing so :botman::thumb:

2. History-buff1944

via War44
    Just picked up three more today. They are:

McLintock.

Island In the Sky.
    &
    The High and the Mighty.

All of them are John Wayne movies. Two are air disaster and the other is a Western comedy.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

3. Cabel1960

Cabel1960 recruit

via War44
    Well, here is a mixture as i have to buy for the family as well as myself. :fag:

Kids DVD
    • Ratatouille
    • Ice Age 1,2and 3
    • Hulk

Mine
    • Kes
    • Harry Brown
    • Counterfeiters

4. History-buff1944

via War44

Nice list. I have not seen any of them but have been meaning to do so. I think the next 2 sets of DvDs ill be buying will be:

1) The Joe McDoakes shorts collections. I think there are around 65 or so McDoakes short subjects. Joe McDoakes shorts were included with movies made by Warner Brothers and were shown before the movie was shown as well as short newsreels as well as a WB cartoon. Joe McDoakes was played by George O'Hanlon--best known as George Jetson on The Jetsons cartoon series. These were all or most all were made in black and white and showed every day type scenarios which were funny as heck.:thumb::thumb:

2) Dogville USA Short subjects. The Dogville short subjects were made during the late 30-or early 40s--and centered around Dogs lives --as they were the "people" of the films. The dogs could be fighting WWI in the trenches to-God knows what? Anyway, I think there were around 18 of those made and the ones ive seen are funny as heck.:thumb:

5. Cabel1960

Cabel1960 recruit

via War44
    I am much more into documentaries than movies to be honest, but the last dvd we did buy was saving private ryan. Well i do believe it was that one. :lol: Will take note of this thread, as i may learn some of very interesting movies that i need to watch. :thumb:

6. History-buff1944

via War44
    Hi and im also into Documentaries. I forgot that I recently bought a 2-disc DVD set that was about the Titanic disaster. Ive seen most of it so far but not all since a friend is borrowing it.

A movie I just watched today that I highly recommend you watching and think you will enjoy it is: The Eagle-w/ Tatum Channing/Channing Tatum? and Donald Sutherland. The movie was VERY well made and Very well acted. Lots of combat action-great story. Im normally not a fan of new movies because they have too much needless gore and cussing-nudity and such--but this one did show little gore and I was impressed with that. This movie is about a Roman OFficer who gets great honors in battle-but is retired against his will-due to wounds suffered in battle. This former officer and a slave he saves--make their way to find and bring back--the Eagle that had belonged to the 1st Cohort of the 9th Roman Legion--which had been lost in battle-20 years earlier. This movie is an excellent movie and is very worthy of being in your DvD movies collection.:thumb::thumb:

A movie I bought at the same time with this one is another about the Roman Legions. It is called: The Last Legion. Ive never seen this one before and am hoping its as good as The Eagle was.

7. History-buff1944

via War44
    Picked up this morning: The Poseiden Adventure w/ Gene Hackman, Roddy McDowell, Red Buttons, Leslie Neilsen, Ernest Borgnine and many other "recognizable faces".

8. Hawkswill

Hawkswill New Member

via War44
    Last DVD I bought

Bought two of the John Wayne Tribute Collection. It had a lot of good B movies, McClintock and the best was an interview with John Ford....his last trip to Monument Valley. Wish there had been more of the stars talking with him, like Duke, Hank Fonda, Andy Devine, Chuck Roberson...but a lot was clips from his movies. Still great buy for $5 each!

9. History-buff1944

via War44
    Speaking of--I almost bought another Duke boxed set yesterday. One was Tall In the Saddle, and I forget the other title. I had both as singles already but thought on the box set.

Oh and speaking of John Ford, I just watched this morning on TCM--some Doc about Ford making the "Cavalry Trilogy" in Monument Valley Arizona and in Moab Utah. There were many extras in the film who were interviewed. I wonder if Mr. Brooks was one of them interviewed? Anyway, they also had a few who played Indians interviewed as well.

10. History-buff1944

via War44
    Picked up three Westerns this morning.

They be:

The Man From Colorado w/ Glenn Ford.
    The Man From Laramie w. James Stewart and Arthur Kennedy.
    The Man In the Saddle w/ Randolph Scott.

11. History-buff1944

via War44
    The latest:

Fort Massacre w/ Joel McCrea, Denver Pyle, Forrest Tucker, John Russel and Anthony Caruso. Ive never been given a good chance to become a big fan of Joel McCrea--but because of this movie--I will be buying more with him in them. This is a VERY good US Cavalry vs Apache Indians Western and well worth adding to anyones movies collection.

12. History-buff1944

via War44
    The Scarlet Coat w/ Cornel Wilde, Michael Wilding, George Sanders, John Dehner and John McIntire. If you like factual movies about Continental American Military Intellignece during the Revolutionary War--this movie is for you. It is based on mostly on facts and such and is certainly worthy of being in any good DvD collection.

13. History-buff1944

via War44
    A Thunder of Drums w/ Richard Boone, George Hamilton, Arthur O'Connell, Charles Bronson, Richard Chamberlain, Slim Pickens, & Duane Eddy. I have yet to see this movie but from all the reviews and such ive been told about--this movie will prove to be no less than excellent.

14. History-buff1944

via War44
    John Paul Jones w/ Robert Stack, Charles Coburn, Bette Davis, McDonald Carey, Peter Cushing, Bruce Cabot and Archie Duncan. Ive not seen this movie yet-but only heard good things about it. It takes place during our Revolutionary War is is im guessing? about our famed Naval Officer of the same name ;-))

15. History-buff1944

via War44
    The Search w/ Montgomery Clift, & Ivan Jandl. Ive only seen the latter half of this movie and it was excellent. Its about a 9 year old boy who flees a refugee center in order to try looking for his Mother. He is a survivor from Auschwitz Concentration Camp and his mother is the only other survivor of his entire family. The boy is found by a G.I. (Clift) who takes him in and decides to take care of him. The boy soon leaves in order to resume his search for his mother--which is like finding that proverbial "Needle in a Haystack."

16. History-buff1944

via War44
    Yellowstone Kelly w/ Clint Walker, Edd Byrnes, John Russell, Ray Danton, Claude Akins, Rex Reason, & Warren Oates. Its been about 30 or so years since I last saw this Western and I remembered it being a great western. Of the friends who saw it recently told me--they all thought it was Clints best western. So im looking forwards to seeing it on arrival.

17. History-buff1944

via War44
    Just bought: The "A" Team w/ Liam Neesen. as well as a Disney four movie set of the four original Herbie the Love Bug--movies.

18. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    While doing a little Xmas shopping yesterday i bought the TV Movie "Bomber Harris" somehow it caught my eye ... :ehm:

Quote from IMDb ...

bomber.jpg

19. History-buff1944

via War44
    Sounds good. We get few BBC titles over here across the pond. I still want the Island At War mini series.

20. History-buff1944

via War44
    Im about to order several more--but have till Monday to choose and pay for them. These include: Military Comedies, War and Western movies as well as movies dealing with the Tartars and Barbarians to Pirates and such.