Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Whats youe heritage ?

Discussion in 'The Members Lounge' started by Canadian_Super_Patriot, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
    What is your heritage ? My full name is John owen Dreaddy

My dads side of the family is from County Cork Ireland. They settled in the Placentia Area of Newfoundland. The last name was O'Draddy, then an E was added because of illiteracy and before or after that the O was dropped, so its now Dreaddy.

My moms side of the family, on her mothers side is from Scotland. They arrived in like 1901. Her grandfather was a tailer in the royal navy. Her fathers side is like a mix of french and west english, possibly welsh. Her dads ancestors settled in newfoundland , then cape breton. I think owen is west english/welsh, isnt it ?

As for Newfoundland, it was its own country till 1934/ it was lead under british commision from 1934 till it joined Canada in 1949(a rigged vote later on, it was found). Its tri-colour inspired the irish one. Newfoundland also has its own dialect of english, its own dialect of french and irish was spoken here till last century. Its considered the most irish place outside ireland