Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Whats your favourite research subject?

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Timo, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Timo

Timo Member

Hey guys,

I just wondered. What is your favourite (research)subject regarding WW2 armour, units, battles, etc.? And what do you do to gather knowledge?

Mine is SS-PzAA1 (LAH) and the career of its commander Stubaf. Gustav Knittel. To get info I search the internet, buy books, travel to archives and battlefields, meet with fellow researchers and talk with veterans of the unit and their opponents.

Anybody else here who researches a specific unit, a specific vehicle or a specific soldier? And how are the results?

Thanks for any replies,
    Timo

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Great question Timo !

now if my computer will just cooperate with me. You can all see from my web-pages that I am a luftwaffe nut at haeart. First getting an interest in 1968 when an uncle-(colonel) was stationed in Wiesbaden and was personal freinds with several high ranking notables, all since passing away including my uncle. Ever since those first interviews and telling me about them, I got interested and it stuck.
    Besides late war Luftwaffe missions over the Recih during the day I also have a very strong interest in the Luftwaffe night fighter force. Having a file(s) about 10 inches thick on individual members, a/c and missions, victories and losses. have helped in the publishing of 3 books so far and am working on another 7/8, with most of the efforts going to German authors although am doing another art booklet in the UK with web-master friend Neil Page, which will cover the daytime camo markings of the Fw 190.
    Also interested in the Waffen SS ops and Army on the eastern and western fronts.
    The responses from the Luftwaffe vets has been wonderful although they are passing away much too fast. Recently many are not even talking anymore due to ?, well maybe burn - out I suppose. Over 500 reference books in the collection since 1968.....

E

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Great subject Timo- I agree with Erich. :D

Thats one heck of a collection Erich, and I thought I had alot--just the tip of your iceberg.

I surf forums to see whats interesting, I buy books, and I contact as many vets as I can. I also collect documentaries and have over 500 on tape.

My favorite subject is: The Eastern Front, and anything to do with Stalingrad. My favorite "unit" to research is my comrades from U 181.

4. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

I am obsessed about the Waffen SS in the Adennes offensive. I have trouble getting information because I'm 15, broke so I can't get all the books I want, and I never have enough time to read or look for information because of school and sports.

5. Marcus Wendel

Marcus Wendel Member

Timo,

I have a very wide area of research as I'm interested in all aspects of the Third Reich and also her allies (as well as many other aspects of our history).

/Marcus

[​IMG]

6. Timo

Timo Member

Markus: Did you know most info from the article Richard Murpfy wrote about SS-PzAA1 for your website came from my files? [​IMG]

Panzergrenadiere: Well, in that case you must be interested in my research (KG Knittel)

Cheers,
    Timo

7. talleyrand

talleyrand Member

I have always enjoyed subjects off the beaten path. WWII:Aluetian campaign, Americans on the East Front, Norwegian spies and such. WWI: von Lettow and his African campaign, Salonika and such. I like good books on small, but important facets of wars that most people overlook

8. Timo

Timo Member

Talleyrand,

In that case you might be one of those (rare) people who know what I am talking about when I mention my all time favourite "Mad Baron" Roman von Ungern-Sterrenberg.

Another subject for (future) research is Joachim Murat, Marechal de France.

Cheers,
    Timo

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Timo :

do you belong to the Napoleonic society ? and do you have David Chandler's Napoleon's Marshals ?

E

10. Timo

Timo Member

Hey Erich,

Nope, I am no member of any Napoleonic society.

Napoleonic books in my collection:
    - Robert Asprey "The Rise and Fall of Napoleon", volume 1
    - Robert Asprey "The Rise and Fall of Napoleon", volume 2
    - Alan Schom "Napoleon Bonaparte"
    - John Eltin "Swords around a Throne"
    - Jacques Presser "Napoleon" (a classic)
    - Gunther Rothenberger "The Art of Warfare in the Age of Napoleon
    - David Chandler "Dictionary of the Napoleonic Wars"

And about zeven or eight smaller (Dutch) titles.

Murat will be somebody for future research. I made a list of books that are written about him, but for the moment my Knittel project consumes to much of my time and money.

If you could have a look at my bookshelves you'de be amazed. Friends call my study "the Bookstore". Last counted it contained over 1700 titles.

Latest additions have been, apart from Apreys second Napoleon volume:

- Fred Anderson "Crusible of War"
    - James Fertius DeKay "Monitor"

And for reading them: I just finished Victor Davis Hanson "The Western Way of War - Infantry Battle in Classical Greece". Thats an excellent book, btw.

Cheers,
    Timo

11. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Timo :

Sounds like a wonderful collection of volumes.....amazing ! [​IMG]
    I've got just a sampling of materials covering the Napoeonic theater of battle which I find very interesting. Nafzigers volumes on the German campaign of 1813 and Peter Hofschrorer's 2 volumes on Waterloo plus 4 others on the battle. many Osprey uniform guides and the 2 volumes of uniforms by L.F. Funcken Napoleonic magazines which I believe are no longer in print due to finacial reasons......rally too bad as this was a wonderful mag covering many details during that turbulent era.

E

12. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

It started with anything to do with WWII but I have not narrowed it down to the Waffen-SS. Getting more historical background because of my grandfather's involvement.

13. Timo

Timo Member

Erich: Are the Nafziger books on Napoleonic warfare as bad as his books about German OoB's?

PzJgr: which SS unit did your grandfather belong to?

Brings to my mind: whats everybodies all time favourite book about (military) history and which book was the first book you red that opened your eyes for military history?

My all time favourite (e.e. on the first place):
    - Edward Gibbon "Decline and fall of the Roman Empire"
    - Jacques Presser "Napoleon" (whenever you can pickup an English translation of this masterpiece from 1938, do it!)

My interest in military history started with:
    - Theodor Plievier "Moscow-Stalingrad-Berlin"

Cheers,
    Timo

14. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Timo :

Surprisingly quite good actually......his 3 volumes on the GErman campaign. The retreat from Moscow is an old title which I picked up 2 years ago and have not even looked through it yet. You are very correct about his little cheaply done papers on the German Oob's. I ordered a copy of his Luftwaffe Defense of the Reich and was shocked at all the errors.

I'll look for that Napoleonic title, it sounds great. I personally never got involved in reading books that got me started. My vet uncle did that with his stories as he and his battalion went through Germany.

E

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Timo: as a side note. I know a militaria collector that had one of the Imperial Guards standards. He bought it at a militaria show in Fraince, it came to rest here in Corpus Christi.

This standard was missing the gold fringe and was yellowed and in fairly bad shape. He paid $2,500.00 for it, and it was realized that the price had been marked wrong.

Well, just recently, one of Americas biggest and best militaria shows was recently held--its called the MAX show. This local collector took the standard to the show-where he met some guys from Fraince who offered to buy it back.

((In the condition it was in, it was easily worth $25,000+++.)))

Well, the Frainchmen, took this collector and all who were with him, to eat at a fancy expensive restaurant, and ordered whatever they wanted. This was to convince them to sell them the flag, as they felt it belonged only in Fraince.

Well, they wined and dined them--asked for a decision, and was told that they would make their decision if these Frainchmen would pay for their breakfasts--which they did.

The Frainchmen, asked who much they wanted for the standard, and they said, they didnt have a price formulated yet. ((Actually, they were just playing with these Frainch guys, having fun at their reactions. They really wanted to get rid of the flag and knew they could get at least $20,000 quickly.

They told the Frainchmen, they wanted $35,000 for the flag, and the Frainchmen said it was a bit high. Then, one of the other collectors--who was just playing around with the Frainchmen, suggested to the local militaria collector, that he would buy the flag for $40,000--to the disgust of the Frainchmen.

The Frainchmen really wanted the flag and quickly offered $50,000. The collector said: "SOLD". They paid him $50,000 in cash there at the table. $47,500 profit for less than a days work is not a bad profit, not bad at all.

Little did these Frainchmen know, that they were being played around with. They forked over the $50,000, thinking they got one over on the Americans--nope. :D Just another case of American savvy. ;)

16. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl :

And in reality (not really)....the standard was of the Chasseurs a Cheval of the Guard and going for a slight 2 million.....who got ripped off here ?................................lol [​IMG]

Actually I would of loved to have seen this before it went back to France.

E

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I saw some photos of it lastnight :D :D it was a beaut allright. Actually, the Mil collectors didnt get shafted. I mean, they knew they would make a profit on it, not caring how much. I think making a cool $47,500 and having you bills and food paid for while living it up at the MAX show, would have been good enough for me too.

Case in point:

Several years ago--1991? I traded all my punisher comics and some others I paid cover price for, as part of a trade/cash deal for a copy of Amazinf Fantasy #15 in F/VF.

I got this book from Robert Bell in Florida, he had it at $450.00 and it just sat there and sat there. I happened to see an ad in The Comic Buyers Guide paper--back when it was a good publication.

I called him up, asked what books he was interested in--said Punisher and McFarlane Amazing Spiderman comics. I send him a list of what I had, and he said he would give me $350.00 in trade for the books, and wanted $100.00 cash. I said, OK, and sent my stuff-recieved the book, and was pleased at its condition.

I then sent in mfor my free ad in CBG, which came out I think 2 weeks later, and even before I recieved my copy of CBG, I already had several phonecalls for the book.

To backtrack a bit. I took this book over to a comic collectors house (he had the biggest collection in town, and WAS amazing) he thought i got ripped off at $450.00. He asked what I was going to sell it at and I said $900.00. He said I wouldnt get any takers--I did, I got so meny who wanted it, that they kept outbidding eachother.

All I really wanted was the $900.00 I originally asked for. I wound up getting $2,500. I sold it to a comic store in Michegan, they turned around and sold it to someone for $3,500.00, who then sold it for $5,000.00. The last I heard the book sold for $15,000.00.

I made my profit and was happy--as did the local militaria collector. I made if you priced the comics at what I paid--cover price was I think $1.00 each--there were about 60 books, so I paid about $160.00 for the $450.00 book. I made $2,050 in real profit, but if you got technical, it would be about $2,340.00 in profit.

I knew the book had potential to go much further than what I was selling it for, but I didnt really care about that, I got more than I expected. ;) Same goes for the local collector.

18. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Incredible Carl, what people will pay for items.....good business !

E :D :D :D

19. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

I would sell my little brother for a copy of amazing fantasy 15. If I ever got my hands on it, I would never sell. I would treat it like the original copy of the declaration of Independence.

I too have made some profeits selling comic books. I was able to buy a copy of Amazing spiderman for $50 which I then sold for $200.
    I miss those days. :(

20. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Erich, thanks.

PG, telllll me about it, the good days are gone in the business of comicbooks and is almost gone for militaria. Tho one can still locate a "find" and just plain get lucky.

A friend of mine in Switzerland upon a Panzer RKTs death, might be willed this mans awards including his Knights Cross. Im inclined to think that one of the RKTs I am friends with, is thinking along those same lines about willing me his stuff. He knows I will take care of them, and would never sell them. He has made mentions to that effect. I hope he is around for at least another 20 years--as he is very healthy-thank god.