Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What's your newest militaria? (new 2016 thread)

Discussion in 'Other Militaria' started by Skipper, Feb 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Time for a new 2016 version, it's already February!

This just came in today : two bakelite German coffee grinders made by Cramps . They are in great condition. This is the model represented in Augustin Saiz's excellent book about German gear.

To be noticed: a mention in French (marque déposée = registered trade mark) but I haven't found out yet whether it is because it was a French maker, German made under French licence or because Cramps used this mention for the international market.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Kai-Petri likes this.
  2. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

Nice topic. I will post some pics when I find some time.

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

From the Stoneleigh Militaria Show last week - a small batch of 'Signal' magazines and a fair EF64 M40 Heer helmet...

Attached Files:

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Actually more than fair Martin. The decal seems legit and the Feldgrau fairly complete . Good catch for display.

5. Martin Bull

I've been hankering for one for some time now. German helmets are now a collectors' 'minefield' so I've spent some time studying books and suchlike. And, in a very old-fashioned way, I'd saved up some money !

I handled several specimens at the show ( and some were crazy prices ) and spotted this one on the stall of a trader I've spent a lot of money with before. It only had light surface rust and all the classic identifiers were present - stamped manufacturer and lot numbers, smooth paint inside with zinc-textured paint outside, no rust-holes, etc. The decal seemed OK but in the crush of a fair - who knows ? So I took a chance.

Back home and armed with my copy of 'Germany's Combat Helmets 1933-1945' plus a strong magnifying glass, the decal is correct with ageing which is impossible to reproduce. The paint colour is also just about perfect ( much of the light rust came off after dusting with a soft cloth ).

I'm very, very pleased with my M40 and also, I don't feel 'robbed'....... :wub:

6. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

Crazy prices indeed!

I spotted this one at Stoneleigh on the same day and the dealer was asking £1400 for it!!!![​IMG]

It must have been Hitler's personal Stahlhelm! ;-)

Kai-Petri likes this.
  7. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

Such an awesome collection!

8. Martin Bull

£1400....... :panic:

What bothers me is, when things get to that price, they become well worth the effort of faking. Mine was priced at £200 and I got it for £190 ( and for me, that's BIG ticket ! :dead: )

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

1900£ ? I can have a complete original Fallschirmjäger helmet for that price. It must have been Hitler's personnal helmet indeed... 190£ is correct (for UK prices).

10. Martin Bull

It's noticeable that prices of Wehrmacht kit which was once cheaply available are rising very steeply - as well as helmets, there have been big rises for Zeltbahnen and FF33 telephones. And none of it seems to come down in price.............

But the absolute crème-de-la-crème of prices at the Stoneleigh Fair was the ( nice ) deactivated MP44 on one stall.

Price ? To you, Sir........£3950.00 ! ! ! :eek: :i_surrender:

11. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

I also saw that Stg44 at Stoneleigh and was astounded at the asking price. I had planned to point it out to you,Martin.

German gas masks and their canisters have also shot up in price. In previous years I've walked away from Stoneleigh with at least one mask and canister each time for around £45-50. But there was no way I was going to pay this year's asking prices of £125+

12. Martin Bull

In the words of Bruce Crompton ( who was at the show )....

...' Yer 'avvin a LARRFF ! '

Attached Files:

13. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

In Croatia you can get stahlhelmets for 500 kunas which is approximately 75 dollars.

14. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

It all depends on the helmets. When I was in Croatia I did not find a good helm for a decent price. There was a lot of rubish for tourists and some DDR sold as genuine WW2 militiaria. However when it comes to austro-Hungarian stuff, they have a fair share.
    It is funny that in the UK prices go up. They go down here in France, German gasmasks sell for 65 euros , with canisters included. Helmets go up IF they are great quality,shells go down (there was a rusted one at the last fair Iwent for 30€ and nobody even looked at it. Zeltbahnen are still around 55€ a piece. what does go up are genuine belts and buckles.

15. BulkHead

BulkHead New Member

I came across this flag while searching through my Grandmothers possessions that she left my mother, when she died. Her father served in the war, in both the Pacific and European theaters. After some research, I am confident it is an INJ rear admiral flag. This is an article I found:

[​IMG]

ZFC0951[/size] Imperial Japanese Navy Rear Admiral Flag, 1889 to 1945. The Imperial Japanese Navy (INJ) promoted 53 officers (14 of them posthumously) to the grade of rear admiral, the most junior admiral in the INJ. The rear admiral’s flag was similar to an admiral’s of superior rank, except that it displayed a red stripe at both the top and bottom edges of the flag. Because of their relative scarcity, American sailors prized flags like this as they boarded surrendered INJ ships. [/size]Given the almost total destruction of the INJ during the war, few admirals’ flags have survived.[/size]

https://www.flagcollection.com/resourcesstaticcontent.php?CollectionHTMLZone_Code=resources_heart_ww2

Here is our flag. Any help or knowledge that you guys could pass, would be outstanding.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

it seems to be a hand sewn courtesy flag. Courtesy flags were aboard ships and a small version would be hoised when a ship wanted to send a delegation aboard another ship. This one would be too small to be displayed on a large vessel , so I supposed it was used on a sloop , or a communiting boat to get officers on and off board.

For a comparaison: this is the one displayed in the Tokyo Navy museum

http://www.passionmilitaria.com/t73795-musee-ww2-tokyo

[​IMG]

17. BulkHead

BulkHead New Member

Skipper, it may be eyes but in judging the flag's size in comparison to the things around it in that case, it looks about the same size. The pictures I took are very deceiving laying on that couch but I'd guess our flag is roughly 3x5.

I may try to email that museum through translation.

18. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

It may be worth contacting them. They might confirm your guess and tell you you've got a winner. Good luck .

19. RRA227

RRA227 Member

What I got so far. U.S.W.W.1 forks and spoons and late German frog marked on back. Rich A. in Pa.

Attached Files:

sgtmac likes this.
  20. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Always nice to have Rich, good catch .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.