Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Whats your oldest piece of militaria?

Discussion in 'Other Militaria' started by C.Evans, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Thanks for the remarks on the coins. My problem is I have that short attention span and way too many interests to stay focused on one hobby-project. I saw an ad for old coins and you had to clean them, never knew what you'd get. I bought 10 for 49 bucks. All were around the 350 to 400 AD. I have more and I'm slowly getting them "cleaned" to the point I can make out the lettering and mint marks. Erich, check the ones you have and DON"T clean with anything harsher than water and a light brush or cloth. That "burnt" looking stuff is more than likely the "Patina" from age. And thus the better for the value. If I can narrow down the many things I want to do and collect I might be able to focus on other than the Meteorites, semi-precious gems/rocks, woodcarving, Militia ( thinking and looking hard at a Civil War sword), guns, and a dozen other things. Skipper, Thanks I'd appreciate any help. Pictures aren't the best and one of those shown does not have any letters at all. Just a couple of Dolphins and what looks like a tree with a kid standing under/near it. Got the area of minting narrowed down but not the century!

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Biak, if looking for a Civil War Sword, be VERY careful of any marked: Dog River as those are the most heavily faked on the market especially since they are Confederate.

3. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Thanks, I saw one but it's 100 miles away and I didn't think (seriously) about it until we were half way back to the house. I've checked out a few sites and I'm taking a wait and see attitude. We did alright though, bought a Howard Miller 'weather station' with Airguide thermometer, 12" barometer, hydrometer for $49, checked on e-bay, same one sold for $580. Found 2 brass teapots, 20 & 23 dollars, have no idea of value but one was made 1840-1860. I'd probably be pressing my luck with the sword.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Sounds like your doing well in the collecting Dept. Just remember one thing abot Dog Rivers and that they aint cheap. I forget exactly how to tell originals from repops but had something to do with markings and years made.

5. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

Thought I'd revive this old thread......maybe some of our newer members have items they would like to share ;)

Currently my oldest piece of militaria.....a ribbon bar to a British veteran of the Second Boar War (1899-1902) and then WW1

Ribbons are: Queen's South Africa Medal, 1914-15 star, War medal and Victory Medal

[​IMG]

6. R Leonard

R Leonard Member

Oldest piece I have is a small oak box, about 6"Lx4"Wx2.5"D, crafted from wood removed from the original gun deck of USS Constitution during the 1927-1931 restoration. Apparently there were more than a few of these made, complete with commemorative medallion on the top and a plaque attesting to its origin. Held together with matching wood pegs, no nails. Plaque reads "Made from the original oak removed from the gundeck of the USS Constitution IX21 during restoration." The designator "IX21" benchmarks it to the restoration period. So, you can figure its either 80 years old for the box itself or you can wonder who may have trod upon that wood since 1797.

Rich

7. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I have a Navy revolver that went to Japan with Perry. (Currently held by the Smitty.)

8. RD3

RD3 Member

A Lee-Enfield No. 1 Mk. III* bayonet of 1917