Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

When I read that the IOC was dropping wrestling,...

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by brndirt1, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

Well it would be less dangerous than Aussie Rules.

KTK

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I detect a little death ideation there Greybeard...Yes i played 7 years of Aussie Rules...broke every finger, my leg and smashed almost all my teeth ( i wear dentures these days - a mouth guard probably would have been a good acquisition methinks : )
    You can catch the hammers greybeard : )

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

In the past, ESPN carried Australian Rules Football as part of their programming. From the start, it looked, to me anyway, a lot like an organized fight that just also happen to involve a ball. I continued to watch it and pretty much learned the rules. About the time I got to where I enjoyed the game and had picked a "favorite" team to watch, ESPN quit broadcasting it.

I never did learn what was up with the refs wearing that white trilby and sport coat.

Talking about your teeth, CAC, I watching a game one day when one the players did a header, mouth first, into another player's knee. He hit the ground, spitting out teeth and blood, but got back up and stumbled jelly-legged off of the field. It was not a pretty sight. Were mouth guards not required?

That jumping up for the mark was fraught with danger and it is a wonder that there aren't more profound spinal injuries than there are.

All in all, a very rough game and one I am certain I would have played in my youth (when I lacked common sense) had I lived in that area of Australia where it is prevalent. It is a much more manly sport than team kickball.:D

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

hehe... : ) Can you remember which team you picked? The game has "improved" since i played, too many worried mothers sending their kids to soccer instead! So the League had to put in head high tackle rules and charging is being phased out...like NFL...one can "sheppard" the ball if your team mate has it or not...deprive the opposition posession. The "white maggots" as the umpires were called are no longer, they wear bright colours these days...
    No padding is allowed, however soft "helmets" are now allowed (but almost never used at any level)...mouth guards were always in...but where i played (Hobart Tasmania and Darwin NT) they were rarely used...i just never thought about it... Go figure on that one.

And just in case you were wondering, i follow Collingwood...Black and White...Known as the Magpies...or Pies...or Maggies...or the Woods...its a low socio economic suburb in Melbourne (Victoria is the home of Aussie Rules - the game used to be called VFL or the Victorian Football League) So all the teams originally came from Melbourne:

Collingwood (The Magpies)
    Hawthorn (The Hawks)
    Carlton (The Blues)
    Richmond (The Tigers)
    North Melbourne (The Kangaroos)
    South Melbourne (now the Sydney Swans)
    Footscray (The Bulldogs)
    Fitzroy (The Lions)
    Essondon (The Bombers)
    Melbourne (The Demons)
    Im sure im forgetting a couple...Today, there are teams from Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide...Nothing yet from Tassie (a big footballing state) Nothing yet from the NT...We have a state side the Territory Thunder...a great team (aboriginals can play the game like you wouldnt beleive!) We will be in the AFL inside of ten years i think.

Just "You Tubed" Aussie rules...The very first offering is "What is Aussie rules football?" - Then goes onto explain the rules using footage from games...it ends with "Want to play yet??" - you can in the "American Aussie rules football league"...SO there you are fellas...no excuse now! : ) You can play at any age...sort of.

5. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Seems like it was Essendon, its been so long, although I liked Collingwood a bit because of their jersey.

Footscray was another, simply because it was Footscray. Now thats a name you can wear with pride.

6. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

If I remember correctly the Aussies built a giant stadium for the Aussie Rules playoffs, maybe one of the Aussie could refresh my memory.

Thanks

KTK

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

A chance to boast again? Well thankyou for asking... : ) You're probably referring to the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground)...The MCG or "The G" as its known has been for decades the biggest stadium...at least in the southern hemisphere...Aussie rules gets on average about 50k people to each match (to the envy of all other codes) It held the world record for ages for largest sporting crowd...about 112k? or something like that...but its even bigger these days...getting 100k to a grand final is pretty normal. You tube MCG Aussie rules...you'll get an idea of size and above all...the roar that 100 thousand people can generate in an exciting game...
    You're probably wondering why football is played on a cricket ground...1. to fit the large crowds 2. Because Aussie rules was invented to keep cricketers fit in the off season...

8. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

The "Modern" part of "Modern Olympics" refers to the re-establishment of the Olympic Games in 1896, not the games of Ancient Olympic Games of Antiquity. But I sort of understand what you mean there.

Traditional track and field type sports should be kept in I believe, but that doesn't mean the have to be televised. Those disciplines can be lumped together like they did with the decathlon, triathlon, the pentathlon and whatever "athlon" they have left over. Any why limit it to 20 days or so? Let the networks pay to carry the games for as long as it takes to finish them.

9. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Now we're thinking...

10. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I'm thinking that it's beer-thirty right about now.

11. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Anytime is good for beer o'clock...(not that i drink :)

12. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

A pint of 4X would hit the spot.

KTK

13. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Bloody Queenslanders! They sneek in with the humans...You're busted Mr Kanuck!

Oh and its a schooner here...bloody poms.

14. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I had forgotten about this. The best closing ceremony segment I can recall;

[video=youtube;JieWuez-_t8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JieWuez-_t8[/video]

15. lwd

lwd Ace

Indeed. My criteria would be if it requires judges to score it it's a performance art and not a sport and should be dropped from the Olympics. That would make room for a considerable number of addtional real sports.