Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Where did American Troops stay in Belgium?

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by SassenachRose, Oct 28, 2015.

1. SassenachRose

SassenachRose New Member

Hi! Does anyone know where American troops stayed in Belgium? Did they stay in Belgium houses or was there a camp set up? More specifically looking at the Antwerp region during the Ardennes Offensive. I'm researching for a paper and having trouble finding the specifics.

Thanks!

2. lwd

lwd Ace

You may have to go to unit specific records. My guess is that there were camps as well as some staying with locals. Proably depended on the type of unit and just what it's mission was. You might check the unit specific threads for those of interest on this board. If you don't see any on one of the units you are interested in you can start a thread on it. The info request sub forum may get you a quicker response or not.

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

4. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

US forces were stationed in the south (Antwerp was an exception),most were billetted in camps.

5. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

If you go to this site ; http://search.usa.gov/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&affiliate=cmh&query=Belgium+ww2&commit=Search

you will find numerous articles pertaining to Belgium. Use the search function and be prepared to spend a lot of time. Have fun.
    a snippet; http://www.history.army.mil/books/wwii/Beachhd_Btlefrnt/ChapterXVI.html

In the army area around the Liège railhead Ordnance units found shelter as cold weather came on in schoolhouses, factories, and other buildings abandoned by the Belgians for lack of coal to heat them. One unit, the 51st Ordnance Group, found temporary billets in a moated château that the Germans had used as a "baby factory" —a home for unmarried Belgian girls who had children by German soldiers. Ammunition companies of First Army, like those of Third Army about this time, began to use roadside storage as fields became muddy, or they stacked their ammunition along village streets. These companies remained at the Siegfried Line during October and November when only limited gains could be made, such as the capture of Aachen by VII Corps on 21 October. The VII Corps then became First Army's northernmost, since XIX Corps passed to Ninth Army. When V Corps was pulled north to protect VII Corps' right flank in the Hürtgen Forest, VIII Corps was brought from Brittany to hold in the Ardennes.2

Welcome by the way.

6. SassenachRose

SassenachRose New Member

Thank you so much everyone! I'm going to go to all these sites look around. Appreciate your help! :)

7. Rhholder

Rhholder New Member

My Dad was located in the village of Westmeerbeck. They were in tents that were located in the villages soccer field. He was in Battery D with the 601st AAA Gun Battalion (semi-mobile).

8. dhshighschoolheroes

dhshighschoolheroes New Member

Dear Rhholder.... OMG I am writing book about 92 graduates from Toledo Ohio DeVilbiss High School KIA in WWII. Among them wwas Donald J Rosler and he was KIA December 3 1944, a member of the 601st AAA Battery D. I have had a difficult time trying to find much about the unit... until I found you. I have read the book American Knights... but that was the 601st Tank Detroyer Unit. The author turn me on to check the AAA units. I have a news clip which does indicate he was with the 601st AAA battery (D). He was killed in truck accident in Belgium. Perhaps you could be the one source to credit with helping me tell Rosler story at the 601st AAA?? Please contact me at dhshighschoolheroes@aol.com

Attached Files:

9. dhshighschoolheroes

dhshighschoolheroes New Member

PLEASE RESPOND TO dhshighschoolheroes@aol.com about Don J Rosler 601st AAA battery D... KIA 12/3/44

10. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Rhholders post was from 2016. You might try contacting him through the conversation section in his profile page.
    There may be others here who see this can help to.

Welcome